Once again....lengthening common channel, have some questions

Elizabeth N.
on 5/19/11 1:02 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Y'know, did you say you're five feet tall and running around 113? If I got those right, you're at a BMI of 22. You are not in a bad-dangerous place. 

Dr. G. is VERY quick to jump on the "you're losing too much/too fast" bandwagon and to worry, often aloud, about needing a CC revision.

It is normal to land at a place where you feel, and maybe look, downright BONEY for a big. Your body needs to accomodate the changes. Things shift around and you'll look different after several months to a year of holding a relatively steady weight.

Here's what I would do: Knock off the "carbing for weight" and really concentrate on taking more Creon. Stuff a bottle of it in your bra or something so it's always immediately available. You'll absorb more fat (and I think protein too), which will be very beneficial for you. Absorbing more fat means better absorption of fat soluble vites, and those are good for a ton of things, from joints to heart health to hair and skin, etc.

Cutting back on carbs and absorbing more fat might well have a great impact on your bowel issues, too. I know Creon firmed me right up! (Which I have never needed--I thought I'd never poop again when I was taking the stuff.)

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/11 10:42 am
Donna,

I tried to stop losing by eating carbs...bad idea!!  I will tell you what *I* did: although I was eating 100 gms of protein a day, I needed more so I added shakes back in.  I really don't like them and most of them give me horrible gas.  I farted my way through a 5# tub of Champion Whey Chocolate..ugghh.. What I finally did was drink my calories.  I started putting sugar or honey in my coffee and ice tea.  My weight loss stopped.  I also added in another probiotic (I was only taking 1 a day) as I was afraid of bad gut bacteria with the sugar.  Crap, I am probably gonna get scalped for this!  Anyway, that is what I did and after the weight loss stopped and I put on 5#, I cut the sugar back out.  So far, so good... (I need to change my signature, my current weight is 135#)
I am not saying that is what you should do, but in your shoes I would go for drastic measures before I lengthened my CC.  Just my $.02.5

Michele
kidnee
on 5/19/11 10:53 am - WILLIAMSTOWN , NJ
 Thanks Michelle, I know the shakes give me gas, but I am too afraid to stop them.  Does the sugar make you gassy?? wonder if the spenda is making me more gassy too?? I should maybe stop the artificial stuff and use sugar and see what happens. I am def in a place where I can try anything, as long as I am getting all my protein in. And that I am doing.  

Thanks
Donna

Donna      HW 242   SW 227  CW 117 

Elizabeth N.
on 5/19/11 1:02 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Have you tried the clear RTD protein beverages? Isopure and Designer Whey make them.

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/11 8:39 pm, edited 5/19/11 8:40 pm - London, United Kingdom
Hi, Kidnee.  I have IBS and get bad gas from a lot of the same stuff that DSers do.  Artificial sweetner is a definite no no for gas (even sugar free gum is a major problem for me and you're not even 'eating' the stuff).  I've never had sugar in sufficient quantities to cause any issues.

Stevia is a herbal sweetner and causes me no gas whatsoever.  There seems to be plenty of choice in brands in the US, so try several as some can leave a bitter aftertaste.

Truvia is the only brand I can name off hand, but shop around and buy small amounts until you find one you like.

On May 19, 2011 at 5:53 PM Pacific Time, kidnee wrote:

Thanks Michelle, I know the shakes give me gas, but I am too afraid to stop them.  Does the sugar make you gassy?? wonder if the spenda is making me more gassy too?? I should maybe stop the artificial stuff and use sugar and see what happens. I am def in a place where I can try anything, as long as I am getting all my protein in. And that I am doing.  

Thanks
Donna
kidnee
on 5/19/11 10:49 am - WILLIAMSTOWN , NJ
 Thanks julie, i just saw your 16 month picture and it put it all into prospective. You were very very skinny. Just like me.  thanks so much
Donna

Donna      HW 242   SW 227  CW 117 

beemerbeeper
on 5/19/11 12:36 pm, edited 5/19/11 12:37 pm - AL
You are going to have a regain.   You are going to have a redistribution.

How are your labs?  How is your health?

Hang in there. 

Edited to add: Have you tried a round of flagyl and only eating "safe" carbs?

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/11 10:54 am
Donna,

What kind of calcium do you take?  Make sure that you are not getting ANY magnesium oxide.  How many doses a day?  Maybe you could try to add in another 500mg and see if that binds you up a little.  Also, how about your iron? What kind and how much?  I am asking because I was doing wonderful in the poop department until I bumped up my calcium and had to start taking iron.  Now I have to add stuff so I CAN poop. Fun times.

Just throwing out ideas here.

Michele
Elizabeth N.
on 5/19/11 12:37 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Are you talking diarrhea type poop? If so, might tincture of opium help?

newyorkbitch
on 5/20/11 6:34 am
Every time you mention tincture of opium I think "Opium?  Hmm,  could be interesting...."
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 630 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 985 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 337 views