Once again....lengthening common channel, have some questions

kidnee
on 5/19/11 9:21 am - WILLIAMSTOWN , NJ
Looking for some Common channel information... how long is your channel, do you have gas, how many poops do you have a day? Do any of you think the length of your channel will correspond to your Gastrointestinal symptoms and how you react to carbs and such.  I have my follow up appointment with Dr greenbaum tomorrow. I have lost 4 pounds since i started the Creon in January. I still have lots of gas, doesn't matter what i eat and poop 2- 5 times a day, sometimes more depending on volume.  So please help me with this very big decision i may have to make to lengthen my channel. Mine is 100cm.  For those of you who don't know me, I have lost over 100% of my excess body weight. I am 5 ft and weigh 113-115 pounds. pretty boney, not an inch of fat anywhere. 

Donna      HW 242   SW 227  CW 117 

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/11 9:27 am
My CC is 75cm.  I poop 1 (2 if I am lucky) time in the AM.  My gas directly corresponds with what I eat. 

Have you read Lori Black's profile?  Do you relate in any way to it?

Michele
Blank Out
on 5/19/11 9:36 am
 I agree with Michele!  Before you sign up for another surgery, check out Lori's profile.  And, eventually, you will fully adapt, and even have rebound weight.   Have you tried adding protein drinks to your daily regime?  

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

kidnee
on 5/19/11 9:50 am - WILLIAMSTOWN , NJ
 Thanks guys, yes I know Lori well, i have been talking to her since I was a pre op... She is my hero.  I actually will be meeting her in person this weekend.  :)  
Unlike lori, i have been drinking my protein since the beginning. 2/3 scoops per day and lots and lots of protein and carb foods.   Lori had stopped her shakes hoping to be able to eat enough protein with just food. And became protein deficient and needed lots of protein to beef back up. I also take creon, 6 a day. 2 with every meal.  My protein levels have been normal.  I guess i could incras them too, but the darn protein makes me fart too.  

Through out my weight loss, I never stalled.  I lost consistently for over a year.  I am trying not to even consider another surgery, its the last thing i want, but i struggle to keep this weight on.  It sucks.  I eat a lot too and am afraid of the carbs cause they give me gas and i fart fart fart. ugh. 
Thanks again... all of your input is so valuable to me...

Darma
on 5/19/11 10:03 am
Hello Friend!  CC is 65cm, and yes my gas is directly related to what I eat.  Even when I'm eating "clean" I still have some by the end of the day- I think that is normal though.  Please continue to go slowly with the idea of changing your CC length.  When I saw you I did not think you looked too thin.  I know that you are the one that needs to live with this- I'm just concerned that things will and do change w/ time and my experience has been at 3.6years out that it is much harder to maintain my wt. than it was in the first 2 years.  I can gain relatively easily now and really need to watch it closely in order to keep with in a 10lb. range. 

I go  to the bathroom 2-3x in the am and once in the pm only if I've eaten alot throughout the day. I am one of the constipated ones and must really push stool softeners and miralax and mag ox in order to poop at all. 

I would base my decision more on my lab values and less on my weight- ( god- never thought I'd say that!) From what you've said your labs are good.  My philosophy is that there is no rush to do this if you are healthy.
Peace and love,
Darma
kidnee
on 5/19/11 10:42 am - WILLIAMSTOWN , NJ
 Terria !!!!!! Oh hey girl, I miss you guys!!! hope you are well.

hugs
Donna

newyorkbitch
on 5/19/11 10:19 am
You had the DS in January 2010?  It is WAY to soon to consider any kind of modification.  My regain didn't even start until I was 3 years out.  Your body is still not fully adjusted.  You need more time.
Julie R.
on 5/19/11 10:23 am - Ludington, MI
 Donna - please don't hang out the black crepe yet.   You are at the PEAK of your honeymoon period, and you were a lightweight to begin with.    If I had a dollar for every person who's come on these boards worried about this same issue, I'd be a rich girl!   Go back through my pics and look at me at 16 months out.   I looked like a scrawny bobble head.  I was down to 116 pounds and I'm four inches taller than you.   Now look at pics of me now and see how much healthier I look.   That's with only a seven-ten pound rebound (depending upon the time of the month).   You WILL have a bounce back, and you're going to be grateful that you got down as low as you did, because you're going to rebound to a perfectly wonderful weight, and probably keep it off pretty easily.    Your weight is also going to shift around too.     Most of us lightweights go through this.   My protein levels were down and it seemed that nothing I did could bring them up - then all of a sudden *poof* they came back up.  Unless you are having severe malnutrition issues, I would not consider a revision.

I have a 100 cc common channel.   I get gassy easily when I eat products with flour.   I poop 2-3 times per day, but can poop more than that if I've been rotten about what I eat.    I have never taken Creon.   My sister ALSO has a 100 cc common channel.   She is 5'10" and 1/2" and right now weighs 130 pounds.   She is a freakin' beanpole!    She has NO gas problems at all and has had no issues with protein nor D, like I have.    So, it  really varies.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Kayla B.
on 5/19/11 10:27 am - Austin, TX
Could you post a few daily food logs?

I guessing it's going something like this:

You don't want to lose weight, so you eat carbs, and the carbs give you gas and frequent stools?  Do you think that could be accurate?

You said you take creon at every meal...can you take it with snacks too?  I would take it with every meal, snack, protein shake, etc. 

I think your weight loss seems to be slowing down majorly...slowing down to about a lb a month or less is a big deal since you are less than 18 months out. 

Maybe I'm too positive, but I really think you can get through this without another operation.  Your weight is more stable, your protein still adequate, you are about to pass that magic 18 month out point where it seems a lot of people really get lucky with being able to absorb more.  I think if we can find some foods to keep your weight on without giving you gas, you'll be gravy.  If you don't mind posting what a typical day is like, I'm betting there are people around here that could help you out!
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
kidnee
on 5/19/11 10:41 am - WILLIAMSTOWN , NJ
 Kayla, I def eat carbs!!!  I was told to increase the carbs to hold the weight.  and Yes I should take more creon. suppose to take with every meal  and every snack... it is hard to put more pills in with everything i eat. i try my best thou.

and I am so not wanting to have more surgery.  I have no complications and feel great , except for the skinny chick stuff.  I hate to go in there and start playing around with my intestines. thats no joke.  Thanks girls.  
You guys always help me to get my head on straight.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 354 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 813 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views