OT- What do you make of these symptoms????

adkmtngirl
on 6/8/11 12:26 pm - Brant Lake, NY
 First, I have to say that my son usually always runs around, so the fact he is on day 3 of not doing anything worries me. 

Sunday afternoon he told me his leg hurt, we were at the mall and he wanted to be at walmart so I brushed it off. Sunday night, all he did was cry in his sleep about his leg hurting. Monday morning, I wake him up (I gave him motrin during the night to help his pain) singing happy birthday with his presents on the bed, and he just rolled over and started crying about his leg, he couldn't move his knee from the position it was in. So, I took him to the er since we had no clue what was going on and his knee was twice its normal size. We get there, he has a low grade fever to go along with it. After x-rays that came back negative, they took 5 vials of blood to do labs on. They have all come back as 'negative' except we don't have a lyme test result yet. (I've never seen a tick on him though). So, they send him to the ortho, who says he has bursitis, but no infection in the joint. Tuesday morning, I go to drop him off at school and his fever spiked to 102, 2 hours after having motrin for his knee. So, we call his ped and it's off to the ortho for another joint check and then to the peds for an exam there. Still no answer, treat with motrin and see how the next 24 hours go. Today, Jacob was walking a bit on his leg (yeah!) but all of a sudden he got quiet and only wanted to cuddle (and it was almost 100 out). Yup, his fever is now 102 again! 

Any ideas of what they symptoms could be leading to? I don't get why nothing is showing up on the bloodwork, not even an elevated white blood count. 
Kristina

AllieInOntario
on 6/8/11 12:32 pm
Sadly, docs often do not take children's pain and it's maintenance very seriously.  Be his advocate, and be forceful if you have to. 
JennType1
on 6/8/11 1:15 pm - Middle of, TN
Have you tried Googling "joint pain fever"? I did that on WebMd and one of the results near the top was Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthirits.
Here's a link: http://www.webmd.com/rheumatoid-arthritis/guide/juvenile-rheumatoid-arthritis

Several of your son's symptoms matched. Which probably means nothing, since I have no medical training. But, maybe it's something to ask about?

Good luck, this must be so scary!

Jenn
Type 1 diabetic, 26 years
With great power (the DS!) comes great responsibility.

adkmtngirl
on 6/9/11 6:25 am - Brant Lake, NY
 He's being tested for RA, my niece had RA as a young child, luckily she 'outgrew' it. I checked WebMD myself and saw rheumatic fever and got totally freaked out as he had strep throat 2 weeks ago (along with pink eye).
Kristina

sweetpotato1959
on 6/8/11 3:08 pm
 one of my friends  daughters had the same  thing about 4 weeks ago....they took her to Lebonner for a full range of tests.. their result was a diagnosis of a virus that has settled in the bone...
       .If it was my child I would get some kind of antiviral to give., for at least a week...... there is medicine that require a script    and there are natural herbs that are antiviral.        Three natural antivirals are,   garlic, rabbit tobacco (tea) and L-Lysine... all of them are available without a script.  Peppermint oil is as well and I am sure there are others, i just don't have them on the top of my head...I use all of these on a regular basis, that I have mentioned ,for benefits....... I would probably tend toward the garlic or tea...depending on the availability...
adkmtngirl
on 6/9/11 6:37 am - Brant Lake, NY
 Is it safe to give young children herbal supplements? He's 6yo, but only weighs 43lbs. (he's tiny)
Kristina

P. Poster
on 6/9/11 6:40 am
 Septic arthritis & JRA are what come to mind for me.  What labs did they do?  Did they do an MRI?  I'd look for a referral to a rheumatologist and to get an MRI and some specific labs done.
adkmtngirl
on 6/9/11 6:48 am - Brant Lake, NY
 He goes back to his ped tomorrow afternoon, where we get some more of the tests results back. The local rheumatologist doesn't take my insurance (and he's 45 miles away), so they are just waiting for permission from my insurance company for him to be seen there (they have 72 hours to make a decision since its not an emergency) which they've done in the past for other patients to be seen there. The ortho has ordered the mri and he's having that at 11pm tomorrow night (so he'll sleep through it) because he said it will help to rule out a lot of things, and may 'find' something. Not sure what other labs he needs to have done. But I've come up with a huge list of things I want him tested for!
Kristina

P. Poster
on 6/9/11 6:56 am
 I'd make sure he has had these labs checked:

CBC, CMP, CRP, ESR, ANA, RF, ferritin and a blood culture.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 332 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 793 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 266 views