hair loss

a_new_mii
on 7/3/11 2:38 am - AZ
 Good morning everyone!
Well I have another question.  I am now three days away from 3 months out.  I'm starting to notice some hair loss.  I've been eating at least 100 grams of protein for over a month now.  Is there something else I can do to minimize hair loss?  Maybe an extra supplement? I was already a little thinner on the top of my head, and can't afford to lose any more.  :)  
What did you do to slow or hide hair loss?

Thank you all so much for being here to help us Newbies through our experiences.  I, for one wouldn't know anything about my necessary diet recommendations if it weren't for you Vets on the forum.

Always Grateful,
~~Ginger~~
Join us here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi ~~❁~Ginger~~~
The beginning of a whole new world.              
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

Tassia
on 7/3/11 2:52 am
Congratulations on this exciting adventure!  Hair loss is just a little price we all pay.  Have faith-it slows down after about 8 months, and then the growth is normal.

I had alot of hair, but I lost so much I could feel it thin in spots.  My hair is curly, tho, and I think that helped hide any thinning.  

Its grown back-ALOT in the past 6 months.  No special supplements, but I do keep my protein at 130-160 grams a day.  I know you probably can't eat that much early out, so just do the best you can!

Best of luck
Anna
*   Take 1 DS, add a little p90x and stir :)
5' 3"  HW 293/SW 253/Goal 130/CW 128

newyorkbitch
on 7/3/11 2:53 am

The hair loss is caused primarily by the drop in estrogen  (fat produces estrogen).  There's nothing you can do about it.  For most people, the loss will stop eventually.

scoob
on 7/3/11 2:58 am - Somerset, KY
Nothing will stop it. I started losing at 3 months and lost until 6 months. I have regrowth now and I'm 9 months. I had thick hair. I took 5000mcg of biotin daily and 50 mg of zinc twice daily. When it quit falling out I lowered it to 1000 biotin and 50 zinc. They seem to help. This was the advice I got from the vets. I made sure I got in my protein also.  I also got a new hair cut, shorter. It all helped but I just went with the flow. Hope this helps!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

mylittleblackdress
on 7/3/11 3:38 am - FL
I am a few days shy of a year since my surgery and have had significant hair loss up to two or three weeks ago despite getting well over 100 grams of protein/day and following the Vitalady vitamin plan.  I even added 1000 mcg biotin 3x/day.  My eyelashes look great for the first time in my adult life but I lost quite a bit of hair on my head.  I hated shampooing it due to the piles of hair that fell out each time.  It seems to have stopped but time will tell.  My hairdresser says this is very common in people losing lots of weight, not just with the DS and she isn't concerned.
Lisa
beemerbeeper
on 7/3/11 4:30 am - AL
www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/telogen_effluvium.ht ml

Telogen effluvium.  Not a damned thing you can do about it.

I am a bit concerned that you were surprised by the hair loss and didn't already know that it is common.  When my hair started falling out I said "Yay!!  I'm NORMAL!!"  as I knew it was going to happen and why.

Have you read the newbie thread?  www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4280788/Repost-Request-Advice- for-Pre-Ops-with-Links/  I would think it is covered there somewhere but maybe not.

~Becky

Elizabeth N.
on 7/3/11 6:14 am - Burlington County, NJ
It's called telogen effluvium. You can Google that. It is completely normal after any significant physical shock. There is NOTHING you can do to slow or stop the hair loss, so don't waste your money on lotions and potions that promise to do so. It will stop when it is done. The mechanism that set up how much hair you will lose already happened and you cannot change it.

Just practice excellent nutrition to support the new growth as it comes in. The vast majority of us get our hair back. I was one who did not, so now I collect hats and wigs. It's only hair. Life is good and much to short to spend time worrying on this stuff :-).

airbender
on 7/3/11 8:29 am
i started losing my hair at about 3 mo PO primary WLS and I lost over 50% of my hair-wow i had long thick curly hair, i could read a newspaper through it after that.  It did come back but took years.....I did everything, vit b family, special shampoo, zn-nothing will stop it, it will run it's course...
a_new_mii
on 7/3/11 9:01 am - AZ
 No, I'm not a BIT surprised it happened... i just hoped I would be one of the lucky ones who didn't lose it.  I was just wondering if there is anything that MIGHT help.   I even pushed the 100 grams of protein early in hopes of heading it off at the pass.  Oh well.  I guess I'll just roll with it.  I'm sure it will come back. It's just that, all my life, (being a FAT girl)  my hair was the only thing about me that  people complimented. So I was just hoping........
Thank you everyone for your responses.  I will try the biotin and see what happens. 

~~Ginger~~
Join us here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi ~~❁~Ginger~~~
The beginning of a whole new world.              
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

Elizabeth N.
on 7/3/11 12:20 pm - Burlington County, NJ
A year from now this will all look very different. Hang in there :-).

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 323 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 782 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 260 views