Coffee....

MomToTeens
on 7/30/11 9:01 pm - OH
Pre surgery I was a heavy coffee drinker.   Now, I can't seem to drink any without it giving me instantaneous gas.  I've tried it black, with heavy cream, with soy milk, with almond milk, non dairy creamer.  I can drink most other liquids without a problem, but the minute I swallow a bit of coffee the gas starts and the lump in my chest is there.

Anyone have any ideas why this might be or what I can do to have my beloved coffee??  Yesterday, I had a terrible headache all day because I couldn't drink more than a sip or two of coffee when I woke up. 

Susan
MajorMom
on 7/30/11 9:15 pm - VA
I've never heard anyone say that. Interesting. I didn't even like the taste of coffee for the first 9 months (taste bud changes). What I did drink was cappuccino protein shake warmed in the micro wave. I'd mix a big mug of Syntrax Nectar Cappuccino and nuke it for 1 minute 30 seconds. Perhaps you could start adding a touch of real coffee to the protein slurry and see if you can just increase the coffee over time.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

teachmid
on 7/30/11 9:27 pm - OKC, OK
I was a coffee-holic before surgery, too, and no matter what I did, I couldn't drink it afterwards until about 3 months. Other interesting thing for me, before surgery I drank my coffee Blackmore with just a tiny bit of milk. Now I only drink it with lots of cream. Go figure.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/11 11:47 pm
scoob
on 7/31/11 12:05 am - Somerset, KY
For the first 2 months post op coffee made me sick. I'd vomit everytime. Now, I drink it everyday. Never gave me gas but did sit very heavy in my chest until I vomited. I'll get better.

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

MomToTeens
on 7/31/11 12:09 am - OH
Thanks for the replies and reassurance.  Maybe I'll have to pu**** through my j-tube for now!  LOL

Susan
RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

RhondaDenise
on 7/31/11 12:37 am - Crossville, TN
Funny, I was just talking about this last night. 

Before surgery, I had coffee every now and then, sometimes go months without having it. 

NOW.....I want it all the time and only with flavored cream (French Vanilla)  SO i sually have some in the morning and a cup at night.

Love it.

Way weird.  LOL

Rhonda

lookthrshegos
on 7/31/11 1:18 am - Huntland, TN
Congrats on your surgery. 

Take courage in this. . . your tummy is still new and things will change about it everyday for quite some time.  It was a hard thing for me to wrap my brain around at first.  I mourned the things that I thought I couldn't or wouldn't eat again.  Then in a few days/weeks/months it would change.  Over night. 

Now, as for the J tube thing.  This would prove or disprove my theory on why the gas thing may be happening.  You know how you sip when you drink coffee?  You take in alot more air than when drinking cold things.  Maybe this is the culprit.  If you put it in your J tube then, no air and if it doesn't bother you then you need to sip it easier when you are actually drinking it.

Now, on that note. . . know that I have never had a J tube so I don't know what  you can or can't put into it.  Check on that before you pour coffee into it! LOL

Kathy

MomToTeens
on 7/31/11 1:43 am - OH
It's encouraging to think things change so quickly.  Keeps life interesting! 

And yes, it's ok to put it in the jtube, but that goes directly to the small intestine, so I doubt I would get the fullness in my chest feeling, but it might bring on the gas.

Will keep experimenting.

Thanks,
Susan
RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

Kayla B.
on 7/31/11 1:23 am, edited 7/31/11 1:24 am - Austin, TX
That is strange.  I wonder if it's an acidity thing or a temperature thing?  Sometimes a warm liquid on the gut can send it into hyperdrive and cause a lot of contractions in your digestive system.

Or perhaps the acidity is bothering your baby tummy.

Have you tried iced coffee or hot tea for comparison?

5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 374 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 825 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views