What's the criteria for a "vetted surgeon?"

Dreamofpeace
on 8/1/11 11:29 pm - Rochester, MN
I'm most likely getting a revision from the band to DS at the end of this month and my surgeon isn't "vetted" on this site.  What is the criteria for bing "vetted?"   I found some old (positive) reviews of my surgeon but nothing since 2008.    And, I've read a lot of posts about how it's hard to find a DS surgeon and getting approval but my surgeon said he'd be glad to do the DS and that it's just a little more complicated and takes more time than the others.   He did advise that it would require more vitamins and I could potentially lose too much weight but said it's really the best weight loss surgery available for the long term.  He also said "you'll never have to worry about your weight again" with this surgery....though it's obvious from reading on this forum that people have to be vigilant about maintaining a low carb diet.    My insurance covers this surgeon and I would have to pay a lot more to go to a different provider but I guess I want assurance that I'm in good hands so am wondering how someone is "vetted" here or if there are other sites to find reviews. 
newyorkbitch
on 8/1/11 11:30 pm
Who is the surgeon?
Dreamofpeace
on 8/2/11 12:49 am - Rochester, MN

My surgeon is Dr. Michael Kendrick at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.  

Elizabeth N.
on 8/2/11 12:01 am - Burlington County, NJ
The DS Facts website is privately owned and operated, but a bunch of folks have input into what constitutes a "vetted" surgeon who gets listed there. It's based largely on feedback accumulated here, through support groups, etc.

There are some other criteria as well. I don't want to give the impression that everything is set in stone or even that there is an actual list of bullet points, but in general some things that get looked for include:

--100+ successful DS procedures
--does not tend toward "two part" procedures except in cases of documented medical need
--very VERY low complication rate
--clean record on the surgeon's state medical board
--evidence of interest in research and publication that is pro-DS

There are perfectly competent DS surgeons who aren't on that list just because they are as yet relatively unknown entities, or who aren't known to have done that many procedures yet, or because the owner just hasn't gotten around to getting them listed. So who is your surgeon? If you mention a name, perhaps you will get useful feedback.

Dreamofpeace
on 8/2/11 12:53 am, edited 8/2/11 12:53 am - Rochester, MN
Thank you.  My surgeon is Dr. Michael Kendrick at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.  He does many different surgeries and not all related to obesity.   I know the Mayo Clinic in general is looked at as a great clinic but I had my lap band there and was pretty much talked into it after I decided I didn't want it (though it was a different surgeon) and it never worked for me.  Plus, I don't think Mayo is known for having a specialty in bariatric surgery.  
Elizabeth N.
on 8/3/11 12:17 am - Burlington County, NJ
Ah okay :-). I have heard vague rumblings that there is a DS-capable surgeon at Mayo and that it is a relatively recent development. One of our longtimers here, whose name isn't in my head at the moment, has spent a good chunk of time at Mayo getting her awful malnutrition stuff worked on. (Turned out that she has something kind of exotic, can't remember what, that is unrelated to the DS.) If you were to start a thread asking about Mayo Clinic experiences, she might notice that and respond. It wouldn't be about having surgery there but it would be something. You might gather more ideas about how to find patients of his online and see how they are doing.

My major concern would be the amount of experience specfic to DS and gathering information about his DS outcomes. It's weird how surgeons might be doing pretty much the exact same procedures (there are a couple different ways to do the DS, so you have to figure out who's doing them the same way) get significant variations in outcome--like with weight loss maintained, which kinds of nutrient deficiencies, etc.

That being said: If I were in MN I'd be headed to Minneapolis and wanting Dr. Buchwald, who is one of the true DS greats. Dr. Ikramuddin is the other doc there and he has lots of good reports, too.

Henry Buchwald, MD, PhD
Email: [email protected]
Sayeed Ikramuddin, MD *
University of Minnesota Medical Center
Weight Management Center
Phillips-Wangensteen Building
First Floor, Clinic 1E
516 Delaware Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Phone: 612-626-6666

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/2/11 11:45 am
On August 2, 2011 at 7:01 AM Pacific Time, Elizabeth N. wrote:
The DS Facts website is privately owned and operated, but a bunch of folks have input into what constitutes a "vetted" surgeon who gets listed there. It's based largely on feedback accumulated here, through support groups, etc.

There are some other criteria as well. I don't want to give the impression that everything is set in stone or even that there is an actual list of bullet points, but in general some things that get looked for include:

--100+ successful DS procedures
--does not tend toward "two part" procedures except in cases of documented medical need
--very VERY low complication rate
--clean record on the surgeon's state medical board
--evidence of interest in research and publication that is pro-DS

There are perfectly competent DS surgeons who aren't on that list just because they are as yet relatively unknown entities, or who aren't known to have done that many procedures yet, or because the owner just hasn't gotten around to getting them listed. So who is your surgeon? If you mention a name, perhaps you will get useful feedback.
Thanks! I was actually curious about how they picked the surgeons for their list. You're a treasure trove of DS knowledge.

For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/11 2:17 am - San Jose, CA
The "vetted" list is derived from the experience and recommendations of a group of veterans.  It is not a "scientifically" compiled list, but rather - like *****graphy - a "we know it when we see it" consensus.  It is the joint impression of a few of us, based on a biased sampling (what we see from their patients here and a bit on other sites that some of us monitor) - but better than relying on the surgeons' own self-promotion, as modified by the surgeons themselves (OH allows its paying surgeons to delete negative reviews, for example).

I don't think I've ever heard of your surgeon.  I would be REALLY REALLY careful, and grill him extensively on his level of experience, whom he trained with (this is NOT a surgery you can just decide to do, and read a paper about it - it requires PROCTORING with an experienced surgeon).  Personally, I would have NOTHING TO DO with a surgeon who has performed fewer than 50 DSs, and even then, only if s/he had proctored with a vetted surgeon.

New DS surgeons have to learn on someone, sure - but it doesn't have to be me.
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/11 2:25 am - San Jose, CA
I have gone to Yahoo (and I don't trust the search to be complete, based on my previous results in searching for Barker), and found the following:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4116529/Mayo-clinic-PDF -file-I-have-it-DS-versus-BPD-w-DISTAL/

This is the only time I think Kendrick has been mentioned here (but I could be wrong).  I'm sure he's done DSs on people who don't post here, but his experience level with the DS seems to be quite limited.  Caveat emptor!!  Ask questions!
Poodles
on 8/2/11 9:47 am, edited 8/2/11 9:48 am - TX
When I spoke to Dr. Barker here in Dallas (don't know if it the same Diana was researching) he said that he had done "a couple" of DSes.   He had done a lot of the other surgeries.  When I got into his office he found a reason why I "shouldn't" do the DS and a reason to do the Rny... which he has done a bunch of.

When I heard a couple... I got worried.   To me it takes a lot more than a few to be good at it and comfortable with what you are doing. 

Personally, I would ask about the doctors numbers:  mortality rates for each surgery, how many he has done, etc. 

Some things are acceptable to me... like a lap band doctor taking out a gallbladder.  But, there are too many things that can go wrong with your gut... that is what makes it so complicated.  If your surgeon is practicing and has a vetted surgeon helping... I would be ok with it.  But only if the other more experienced person was there with them.

Edited to add:  That is so wrong that Dr's can delete your comments on OH.  That is why we are here to share.  If I can't post my experiences with a Dr... like with Barker, how are people going to be able to make an educated decision based on others experiences?  I would rather see all positives and negatives and then be able to make my choice.

Wonder if this post will be deleted?
 Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 387 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 842 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 274 views