GAH! Kidney Stones!!!

Katy S.
on 8/4/11 3:01 pm - WA
I am pretty sure I have a lodged kidney stone right now... the pain started this morning, and it may be what's contributing to my fatigue. I am on macrobid for uti just started 2 days ago though... I am praying right now that its just my piriformis syndrome acting up and stretching, but the pain is staying/getting worse... I do NOT want to go to the freaking hospital! I live on a military post and even though I LOVE the care I have recieved thus far there, the ER SUCKS!... boo
"Hi, my name is Katy...and I am a meat eating spin junkie"
HW: 336/DOS: 306/CW: 153/GW: 140?
~ CSz: 5 - S/M

* G1: 199# 09/28/11 * G2: 175# 11/30/11 * G3: 160# 12/09/11(
"People too weak to follow their dreams, will always try to find a way to discourage yours"

sweetpotato1959
on 8/4/11 3:07 pm
 drink  water with lemon juice first thing in am.    and eat all the asparagus you can, at least a half cup three or four times a day. that is supposed to make them melt....according to the healing with foods book....
Katy S.
on 8/4/11 3:10 pm - WA
I'll try the water w/lemon but the tummy pain w/asparagus might be a tough one to swallow

"People too weak to follow their dreams, will always try to find a way to discourage yours"

J G.
on 8/4/11 3:39 pm
Make sure it's real lemon juice and drink it as often as you can
lk1970
on 8/4/11 11:51 pm
Drink lots of water and head to the ER for pain meds if needed. I passed 2 in April, thought I was gonna die! Good luck!
Lisa

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

Poodles
on 8/5/11 2:40 am - TX
You need to have a 24 hour urine test to see if you have low citrate.  I had  a million stones blasted and have been put on citrate to help them not grow anymore.

No amount of lemon will help you if you have low citrate.  You will need a prescription.
 Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

Katy S.
on 8/5/11 3:07 am - WA
Ok thanks I didn't know about the citrate, its still painful but it hasn't gotten MUCH worse yet... I have to take my daughter to a check up today and we go to the same clinic so I am going to ask then about it assuming it doesn't get worse...I have been drinking like a camel and still my "stuff" is concentrated...so fun :/

Katy S.
on 8/5/11 3:13 am - WA
I have had stones for a couple of years, passed a few... when they scanned at MAMC because of my High BP post op they said I have a 7mm, 5mm, 2-3mm and a few others, this was preop/while in hosp

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/5/11 7:12 am
 Oh dear. Those larger ones will not pass unless you have ureter made of fire hoses.

They will need to be blasted before they block the ureters or damage the kidneys. I hope you have an appointment with a nephrologist or doctor that is following up on those.
rbb825
on 8/10/11 3:33 pm - Suffern, NY
Please don't wait - get the CT Scan ASAP.  Those stones are too large to pass and the longer they are in, the larger they will grow and more chance you will have of kidney damage.  If they are blocking your ureters, it is dangerous.

I just went through this.  I thought I had a bladder infection for a few weeks, terrible burning and frequency.  Endo did a urinalysis which looked highly infected, so while waiting for the culture to come back, she put me on macrobid.  It did nothing and the culture was negative.  She then sent me to a urologist since the urinalysis was loaded with blood, protein and white cells plus I had terrible abdominal and back pains in addition to the urinary symptoms.  I got an appointment with the urologist the next day.  She sent me for a CT scan and I had 2 decent sized stones in the left kidney - one blocking the ureter and one up higher in the kidney causing severe inflamation of my kidney (blood tests also showed poor kidney function)  The left kidney had multiple stones but none were obstructing.  I had to have surgery the next day for the left kidney - she went in with a scope and a laser and blasted the stones.  It was supposed to be a same day procedure but I developed a high fever and lost a ton of blood.  I was in the hospital for  5 days - on IV antibiotics for 4 days (no infection found - thank goodness), IV fluids.  They thought I might need a blood transfusion since my hemoglobin, platelets and white count got so low but thankfully I didn't need it.  I was at a hemoglobin of 8.1 and they said if it went below 8, I needed it. When I was released, it was at 8.7 and 3 days later at the hematologist, it was up to 10.  My platelets and white count were a little better too.  During the surgery, she had to put in a kidney stent to reduce the inflamation and keep the ureter open - I had that removed yestarday.

Now I have to go back in 4 weeks for an x-ray of  my kidneys, bladder and ureters and then see the urologist again to schedule surgery for the right side. In the meantime, I have to see a Nephrologist for urine testing - 24 hour urine of calcium phospates, calcium oxylates, uric acid, citrates, cystine and can't remember what else.  Once you know what is causing the stones, sometimes you can prevent future ones.

Please get checked out.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 352 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 810 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 270 views