X-Posted from Revisions Board - Upcoming Revision, More Info on DS

Divine_Ambrosia
on 8/31/11 9:19 am - Cary, NC

Hi all,

I have a revision surgery from Lap Band to RNY scheduled for Nov. 3 with Dr. Moran at Rex Hospital in North Carolina.  I was convinced RNY was what I needed, but of course now doing research I'm starting to second guess myself and become very concerned if I'm making the right choices.

I had lap band in 2004.  I was never successful with it.  So I see this is common amongst banders. :(

Anyhoo - Dr. Henderson is who I've been seeing to help me with my band, he recently came into practice with Dr. Moran.  I went to Dr. Henderson's office due to some band issues and Dr. Henderson really wanted the band out of me, ASAP.  But then he started pushing the Sleeve on me.  He is now specializing in their practice on sleeve and Lapband patients (he has done Lap Band to sleeve and Lap Band to RNY revisions)  I'd not even considered or thought about having the sleeve.  I told him I needed some time to consider it.  

Now that I've been reading about DS.  I'm wondering if this isn't right for me.  The low metabolic rate I have and other issues, it just seems like DS in the long run would be healthiest for me.

I called my insurance company, DS is covered.  Even though on obesityhelp Dr. Moran shows he does DS, there is NOTHING about DS on his actual company website.  Dr. Sudan, from Duke however is listed on DSfacts.com as an "A Lister" in the surgery.  I've contacted his office.

I've contacted my insurance again and they said that getting my surgeons changed (and the surgery type changed) would be as simple as the new surgeon sending in the paperwork over again and it shouldn't be an issue.  

Has anyone ever done that before?  Any opinions on Dr. Moran/Dr. Henderson/Dr. Sudan?  I'm really hoping someone out there has some help for me because I feel a bit panicked about this all and I'm hoping I'm doing the right thing in the right way.

Looking forward to your thoughts.
smileyjamie72
on 8/31/11 9:45 am - Palmer, AK

I am an RNY and looking to revise to the DS if that gives you a moment for pause.

I say GO FOR IT!!!!!  I see Sudan patients on here. 

Good luck!!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/11 11:47 am
(deactivated member)
on 8/31/11 12:33 pm - San Jose, CA
Has anyone ever changed their minds, after being scheduled for surgery, and switched surgeons to get the switch?

You betcha!  We try to save people from other surgeries all the time!  Check out this thread:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/3484967/Who-benefited-f rom-DSers-posting-on-other-forums/
larra
on 8/31/11 1:20 pm - bay area, CA
Dr. Sudan has an excellent reputation around here and definitely does lap band to DS revisions.

I've been on this forum about 6 years and have never heard of the other 2 docs. I doubt very much they do the DS at all, much less revisions to the DS. And this means that they aren't going to recommend it for you, or for anyone else, regardless of whether or not it's the best choice for you.

You mention that you have a slow metabolism. This is a very common problem among the MO, and will not be improved with a sleeve, and which might improve a bit with RNY. It will improve a lot with the DS, which bypasses so much more of the small intestine than RNY. The DS has the best statistics of any wls for percentage excess weight loss, MAINTAINING that weight loss, and resolution of almost all comorbidities. Weight regain is the dirty little secret of RNY, and you've already learned the hard way about the high failure rate of lap band. Long term results of the sleeve are unknown, but with no malabsorption and none of the metabolic changes of the DS, and with sleeves (just like the RNY pouch) stretching over time, I worry about regain with this operation as well.
     There are other advantages of the DS as well - you can eat both protein and fat freely, whereas with sleeve or RNY you would need to follow a low calorie, low fat, low carb diet for life. You can drink liquids with meals. You can take NSAIDs, which are contraindicated with RNY. No food getting stuck at the stoma. No dumping. No reactive hypoglycemia.

You've already had one wls fail you, and note that it was the operation that failed, not you. Do you really want to risk another failure, or would you rather give yourself your best chance for success?

Larra
Band to DS
on 9/1/11 1:12 pm, edited 2/3/12 11:01 pm
Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

beemerbeeper
on 9/1/11 12:09 am - AL
My thought is that you are one of the lucky ones who may be saved from a second surgery that may fail you.

You can only get a DS from a vetted DS surgeon like Sudan.  The other docs you are seeing are NOT DS surgeons.

Keep reading about the DS. And about why the RnY does not work long term.

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4391498/RNY-insulin-carbs-we ight-regain-Articles/#36305662

www.lenoxhillhospital.org/press_releases.aspx

www.dssurgery.com/procedures/compare-surgical-procedures.php

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4416755/Must-Read-Transcript-o f-Dr-Roslins-Presentation-to-ASMBS-on/

I consider myself to have won the bariatric sugery lottery.  So many people get a RnY who never heard of the DS and I was well on my way to becoming one of them.  I dodged a huge bullet and you may have too.

~Becky

Frankie
on 9/1/11 12:25 am - NY
Hi Divine,

Everyone here is giving great advice.  I am a RNY revising to DS on 9/26.  I wish I had know about DS in 2004 when I had my surgery.  Research, research and do your homework. 

Good luck to you in your journey.

P.S. these DS vets are the best and give great advice.

Frankie

NoMore B.
on 9/1/11 2:15 am
Sounds like you're on the right path with the DS.  And how lucky are you to have Dr Sudan right there.  Many DS'ers have to travel around the country, or even internationally, to a DS surgeon.

I wouldn't even consider the other surgeon for a DS, and head straight to Dr Sudan.

I wouldnt give the RNY a second thought, either.  Keep reading and asking about the DS!  I dont feel like I have a "tool" to work at all - I feel like I have a new body with a corrected metabolism. 

healthierme
on 9/1/11 8:14 am - Triangle, NC
I would highly recommend that you at least have a consultation with Dr. Sudan so that you can get a balanced perspective on all of your options.
Good luck!

HW 300ish / SW 280 / CW 162.8/ GW 140?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 776 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1061 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 351 views