Antibiotics with DS

Gina_N.
on 9/4/11 6:59 am
I woke up feeling horrible, swollen glands, sore throat and hurting ears and of course it's a holiday weekend.  I have a zithromax tri- pack from pre-op but seem to recall that we can't take zpaks anymore.  Anyone know if that is true or am i thinking of medrol dose packs??  Thanks in advance
Gina
teachmid
on 9/4/11 7:43 am - OKC, OK
What we can't take is delayed or time released. If you just woke up this morning with these symptoms, chances are it is viral and antibiotics won't work.

Rest, fluids, etc.

Hope you feel better.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

sweetpotato1959
on 9/4/11 8:11 am
 Gina, that's  also how I do  for a severe allergic induced sinus infection.  I had WLS 15 years ago, and have taken both the Z pac and the medrol dosepac with effectiveness.... at times post "Memphis By-Pass"...which is a RNY modified and on steroids.   
Elizabeth N.
on 9/5/11 12:22 am - Burlington County, NJ
I use z packs just fine. But I use a five-day pack, not a three day one.

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/11 3:05 am - Woodbridge, VA
DSers can take antibiotics just fine. Many intentionally take Flagyl for bacterial overgrowth. Just be sure your condition is caused by a bacteria and not a virus (sounds to me like it's just a cold, which antibiotics won't help).
(deactivated member)
on 9/5/11 3:29 am - San Jose, CA

NOTE: there is a difference between timed-release and delayed release.  Some medications MUST be enterically coated to prevent contact between the medication and stomach acid.  This is a delayed release format - the coating is designed to be released in neutral pH but resistent to acid.  THIS KIND IS JUST FINE FOR US TO TAKE!

Other meds, even timed-release meds, can ALSO be OK, although dosages might need to be adjusted.  For example, since my problems two years ago caused by Reglan, I have had issues with concentration.  I was prescribed Adderall, and got it in the 5 mg, immediate release form, to be taken 2-3 times/day.  I found it rather rough - I got a real spike right away, and it was not pleasant - teeth clenching and irritable feeling, although it DID help with my concentration.  And I kept forgetting the midday dose(s).

Then when I switched from one doctor to another for maintenance of this regimen, my new doctor accidentally prescribed it in the XR (extended release) form.  I decided to give it a try, just for the helluvit (and because it was a PITA to go back up to pick up another paper script from her office).  So I took 2 - 5 mg capsules at once, and discovered that these work JUST FINE - and with a smoother up and down, and I don't have to remember to take another dose or two midday.  So don't rule out XR or TR meds automatically - let the doctor and/or pharmacist help you figure out if they might work.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 776 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1061 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 351 views