DS, RUNNING AND ASPIRIN???

Derek H.
on 3/5/12 11:01 am
Hi guys,

So I've decided to start training (couch to 5k) for a 5k race, but i have horrible knees. Everytime i train, the pain, at times is very bad.

I'm thinking that all those years of being 400+ lbs really took a toll on my joints. So, now...though I'm lighter, I have bad knees.

I ice/heat them daily (even on days i don't run)...but the pain will not go away...

I'm hell-bent on not giving up...but not sure what too do...

The other thing i want to do is Take aspirin....From my understanding, DSers can take aspirin (with no worries of getting ulsers).

Anybody heard different??? 

I wonder if i took it daily..if it would have a negative impact on my stomach..

Any thoughts on the above?

Thanks

Derek

beemerbeeper
on 3/5/12 12:36 pm - AL
Anybody can have problems taking aspirin daily.  And we have a tiny sleeve of a stomach.  So, personally, I would not consider taking anything that might cause my sleeve problems.

Have you talked to an orthopedist about your knees? 

The reason folks say they can take NSAIDs is because our sleeve can be scoped to SEE if we have an ulcer and it is difficult to do that for someone with an RnY.

But taking NSAIDs should still be done carefully in my opinion.

~Becky

MsBatt
on 3/5/12 11:37 pm
NSAIDs like aspirin pose some risk for anyone, but IN MY OPINION, the risk is no greater after the DS than it was before. If you have ever had trouble with ulcers, avoid them like the plague.

I personally have taken NSAIDs daily for close to 30 years now, both pre-op and for the past 8 years post-op. But then, I've always had a cast-iron stomach. My mom is a non-op, and even one dose of NSAIDs gives her stomach pain.

Also keep in mind that NSAIDs have a systemic effect---in other words, the potential for ulcers isn't caused by the pill itself sitting in your stomach, but by the fact that NSAIDs thin the mucosal lining of the GI tract. This is true whether they get into your bloodstream orally, intravenously, or are absorbed through the skin.
larra
on 3/5/12 11:53 pm - bay area, CA
Whatever damage has been done to your knees can't be undone by losing weight. The weight loss helps to prevent, or at least slow, further damage, but what's done is done.
      I am concerned that you will be causing further damage to your knees with running, which puts great force on your knees (and other weight bearing joints). And that's aside from the fact that running is causing pain for you. Taking aspirin may make you feel a bit better, but it won't prevent joint damage. If anything, by masking pain, you may be fooled into doing more than your joints can tolerate and making them worse faster. Have you consulted with an orthopedist, or at least with your pcp? Do you know whether or not you have any decent cartilage left in those knees, or are you close to or at bone on bone??
      And all that is aside from potential harm to your sleeve from the aspirin. I can't say if you can take daily aspirin safely or not, or at what dose. Some people who have never had any surgery on their stomachs can't tolerate aspirin or other NSAIDs. Others can handle a certain dose and no more without causing harm. This would be best discussed with your doctor, but unless you want to speed your way toward knee replacements, I would find a form of exercise that spares your joints, such as stationary bike or swimming. 
     I greatly admire your desire to exercise more and get into the best possible shape. But running on painful, damaged knees isn't the way to go. Sorry.

Larra
Emily F.
on 3/9/12 7:30 am
Are you running on the road or treadmill??? I can not run on the roads more than once a week or I have to ice my knees and they hurt. I guess it is all those years overweight. I have no trouble running on the treadmill. I think you need to get on a soft rubber treadmill.

You should never take any pain relievers BEFORE running bc it will dull your senses and you may do something that hurts yourself wo knowing it.
Emily F.
on 3/9/12 7:31 am
Honestly, if its hurting you every day regardless of running/not running, you need to cross train on something else and try to up your mileage. Like the elliptical or bike.
Amy W.
on 3/14/12 3:45 pm, edited 3/14/12 3:45 pm - Buckeye, AZ
I'm in the same boat right now. I try to jog everyday now (and I've never exercised in my life) and now my knees hurt! I tried to just walk my 3 miles today instead of walk/jog/walk/jog/etc. but my legs (especially knees) are still so sore! HmMmM... maybe I should do the exercise bike for a while... and take a break from my long walks...(I LOVE it though. It's addicting once you get into walking/jogging everyday)

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

Paul C.
on 3/16/12 2:16 am - Cumming, GA
 I'm not a DS person but I am a runner since surgery and will always help someone who is getting started.  

Here are a few things that have helped me 

1) Run every other day.  Our bodies and legs are not used to the repatative abuse caused by running daily.
2) Stretch before and after.  Most running injuries are caused by overly tight muscles. Focus on stretching Quads, Hams, IT Bands, Ankles and Calves.  I neglected this for a period and ended up with a IT band issues and the second time was a Partially Torn Hamstring.
3) Cross Train.  Spin, Swim or eliptical something to add to your cardio endurance.
4) Condition your muscles there are numerous exerices you can do to increase the muscles used in running.  You don't have to be pumping hundreds of pounds on a leg press but things like squats and leg lifts will help in getting your muscles where they are better suited for running.
5) Get Fitted for shoes at a specialty running store. All shoes are not created equal and not all running shoes are designed for everyones foot.  A specialty running store will exam your arches and your stride to make sure you get a shoe that provides the correct support for your foot.  The best part is that they don't charge a premium for their shoes either.
6) If it hurts STOP!
7) Don't worry about times just yet worry about the finish.  If you find the pain is from running to fast then slow down a bit.
8) Have fun!

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 367 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 820 views
Need help for my mom