RNY to DS apointment with Surgeon

Whit
on 5/15/12 1:54 pm
Revision on 12/10/12
Hi all,
I am really nervous about this appointment. I never lost all of my weight and over the last 8 years have gained back 60 of the 100 pounds I lost originally. My BMI is 38 and I have heel spurs, sever Acid reflux and I know I have osteoarthritis but it is not diagnosed. 

I am not sure if this is enough to really qualify for a second surgery.  I had Etna 10 years ago and now have Anthem Plus. They do not stipulate BMI or co-morbidity requirements. Does it really need to be a revision if it's a different carrier?

Any advise on what to say to the Dr.? I want and will have this surgery bit I do not feel as confident as I did the first time...

Best
Whit

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

beemerbeeper
on 5/15/12 2:00 pm - AL
What surgeon are you seeing? There are fewer than 5 in the world qualified to do this surgery. Be very careful.

Whit
on 5/15/12 2:12 pm
Revision on 12/10/12
beemerbeeper
on 5/15/12 2:18 pm - AL
I hope you at least CONSIDER Rankin and Keshishian who are EXPERIENCED RNY to DS surgeons but since you know so much I'll just wish you well as we do where i am from by saying God bless.

route66hello
on 5/16/12 1:38 am - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
Hi,

I wanted to say I had Dr. Rabkin do my RNY to DS conversion. I had two previous RNY in 2006 and 2009 and like you had never lost all the weight. Conversion surgeries are complex. I had my surgery in March and I am still home on disability because of complications. Just be careful and be prepared for complications because they are much more common in revisions.

Best of luck. Terri
Whit
on 5/16/12 7:58 am
Revision on 12/10/12
Hi Terri,
If you do not mind me asking what kind of complications did you have? What was your BMI and was your surgery open? My RNY was Lap and I am hoping this will be too. Also do you think the previous sergeries componded your problems? Lastly was the Dr honest with you so you were prepared for what happened.

I hope you are doing better...I should have put that first
Best,
Whit

route66hello
on 5/16/12 9:10 am - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
Whit,

I am much heavier than you. Not sure about my BMI but in 2006 for the first RNY I was 425 and around 375 for the second in 2009. I was 375 (I am 5'8) for the conversion surgery. The revision surgery cannot be done lap and has to be open. I have not read of anyone having a revision from RNY to DS that was not open. LAP to DS I am not sure about. I suspect if you went to Dr. Rabkin it would be open. If you search on this forum there are a lot of pluses actually for the open because of the amount of reworking which needs to be done.

Dr. Rabkin was very upfront about the risks and complication. I just assumed they would not happen to me. I developed a leak which is due to a hole in the stomach. The hole is most likely due to the integrity of the tissue since the previous RNYs. The drains I had moved so the leakage was not draining and that caused all sorts of problems which honestly I do not remember. One minute I was in the ER (I had been discharged that day) and then several weeks later I woke up in ICU. It is very strange to lose several weeks. Because of that backup of guck that was not draining I had kidney problems. I know I had 6 blood transfusions. I say this not to scare you to not do it but to realize that revisions are more complicated and need a surgeon who does them often.

Comparing our experiences is really apples to oranges. Many people have the revision and run into no problems. Find a surgeon you trust and work with them. All the information from Dr. Rabkin's office is set up expecting that people travel to work with him. I just happen to live near San Francisco. People traveling for a revision is very common.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Terri
Whit
on 5/16/12 9:16 am
Revision on 12/10/12
 Thank you for being so honest Terri I have alot to think about.

Terry B.
on 5/16/12 4:35 am - Martinsville, IN
how did you find them?

I am only one, But still, I am one.  I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.  And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do
the something that I can do. 

Edward Everett Hale

Onederland 1/26/2010    

Whit
on 5/16/12 7:53 am
Revision on 12/10/12
 He is on the DS Website and highly recomended. I meet him tomorrow. If I do not connect with him I will see if I can get in with Dr. Rabkin. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 319 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 781 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views