Considering DS in Indy with Dr. Inman - Questions....

Virgo64
on 5/21/12 3:43 pm
Alot of you have graciously answered my recent question about how you chose between the RNY and DS surgeries.  Because of what you all have said and everything I have read, I have decided to take the next step and attend a seminar - baby steps I know!

There are 2 really well qualified surgeons near me, but I leaning toward Dr. Inman in Indy.  Not only because she is a qualified surgeon, but also because of the complete care program they have at St Vincent's,and because we may move to Indy in the near future. 

I've been investigating WLS for almost a year now and was planning on having surgery this year once I was put on my husband's work insurance in June.  At that time, he had a different employer and different insurance that required the 6 month supervised visits, etc.  I began those visits in the latter part of 2011 and completed the appointments in April. 

In early February of this year, my DH changed employers and thankfully, the new insurance has the WLS coverage, and has a ridiculously easy approval process.  From what other people have told me that had WLS, some of them were able to get approval the same day because the insurance company has some sort of mandate that requires them to carry it.  It has something to do with either the fact that his company's corporate office or the insurance company's corporate office is in Massachusetts.  

Anywho, I'm curious to know if anyone can tell me if Dr. Inman's practice requires a 6 month program before surgery, or not.  If they do, I'm hoping that they will accept the documentation from my pcp for the work I've already done.   

Any other info anyone has on what I can expect once the process is started with her practice would be greatly appreciated.  the more I know up front, the better.

Thanks!

MajorMom
on 5/21/12 7:35 pm - VA
I understand she's a good surgeon but the vitamin guidance there sucks pond water as with most programs. They (surgeons, dietitians and NUTS) can't seem to wrap their collective heads around the large doses of vitamins and protein we need and tend to recommend nutritional plans that fall short. Not saying all are bad but most are.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

JazzyOne9254
on 5/29/12 11:35 am

You're right about the NUTS at St. V's.  Dr. Inman has gotten better about the vites and protein, but having the DS group there really helps, because you don't have to sit through information that has nothing to do with you.  The NUTS are slowly but surely getting a litttle better, but I still do what I know I need to do.

I got a little sloppy these past 6 months because of Mom's passing, and got the worst labs I've ever had!  That is entirely my fault.  Stick with the vets on here, and start out with Vitalady, and you'll stay healthy!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Jeremy M.
on 5/21/12 11:31 pm - Fishers, IN
 My wife and I are both Inman patients, and we have several friends who have had her as well (some before us and one just last week).  At the time that we went through (about 2 years ago), St. Vincent's did not require any additional diet or documentation beyond what was required by your insurance.  However, I do believe they required everyone to have the psych eval regardless of insurance, which makes sense so they can be sure the patient is committed to the surgery for the right reasons.  

For us, we had all of our information sent over to our insurance company, and they gave approval in about a week or two if I recall correctly (this is entirely up to the insurance company and their processing times).  From there, it took almost a month for us to get a call back from the scheduler to get put on the calendar, and even then we were still waiting another 3 months past that.  For example, we attended our seminar the first week of January, and my wife had everything approved by insurance about a week later.  She didn't hear back about a surgery date until the first or second week of February, and was slated for surgery May 6th.  It took a little longer for me to get approval (issues with my initial psych consult), but I was finally cleared around the middle of March.  It was the end of April before I got my date, which they had as somewhere in the middle of July.  I asked for it to be pushed to August based on school and work.  

Once you are approved and scheduled, you will still have to do all the pre-op testing.  Last I knew, Inman did a lap DS for anyone with a BMI under 45, and did it open for anyone above that.  That could change though as she does more lap DSes.  Gina is absolutely right that the nutritional guidance is terrible, though it does appear to be getting slowly better.  The dietitian I've seen the last couple of times knows I'm on the Vitalady plan, and she doesn't really mind the levels I'm taking as long as my labs show that I'm doing fine.  Overall, Inman is much more conservative in follow-up care.  We had labs done pre-op, then at 6 months, 1 year, and 2 years.  Ideally I would have liked every 3 months for the first year and 6 months for the second year, but their office won't order the full set that way and we don't have a PCP on board with ordering the tests yet.  

I find the office staff to be somewhat frustrating.  I saw Inman at my 1 month, 4 month, and 1 year follow-up, but saw the PA at the 8 month and 18 month appointments.  They routinely run behind on seeing patients, so plan on extra time if you have a visit with her.  They are "forcing" all patients to see the dietitian before the doctor's visit, though I can't imagine they would actually turn you away if you refused to see the dietitian.

Overall, Inman is a very skilled surgeon and very knowledgeable about the procedure.  But, after care and nutritional guidance are definitely things that are lacking, and you'll really need to do your research to understand your new needs because they will not fully prepare you for life with a DS.
Jeremy

HW 327 / SW 300 / CW 198 / GW 169

Virgo64
on 5/22/12 2:55 am
Wow Jeremy this is certainly good feedback to get.  I live in the South Bend area and I'm lucky in that I have doctors in either Indy, Chicago or Grand Rapids that are well versed in DS.  I am considering DR. Inman because as I mentioned in my original post we are hoping to be moving to Indy at some point in the next year or so and would seem to make alot more sense to develop a relationship there versus the other 2 cities; but sounds like I might not be able to get what I'm hoping for there.  Hopefully there are support groups there that are seperate of St. Vincent's that I could become involved with.

Still, I'm not ruling her out, but maybe I need to check into the other 2 programs that are around me.

Thanks so much!!

Thanks so much
Sandra C.
on 5/22/12 4:12 am, edited 5/22/12 12:02 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 Hi Virgo,
Dr Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, is proficient in Laparoscopic WLS. They do labs pre surgery, 3mo, 6 mo,12 mo, then 6 mo there after. You can have these done at the lab of your choice, with results sent to all of your docs. Their nutritionists are great. Loved being able to communicate nutrition and vitamin questions by e-mail, with same day or next day replies. christine is such a close friend now. I never have waited more than 10 min. to be seen in the office. Appointments are prebooked on a schedule determined by the number of weeks out from surgery you are. As far as support groups, or moving to a new city, you can go to any support group at any time, even pre surgery. I have visited the ones in my town and several in Grand Rapids, where Dr. Kemmeter joined us. He was so down to earth and joked with us. The session went on long past usual allowing time to answer  all our questions. His WLS program  and group are the most well organized I have ever seen. I wish all my doctors worked this way, with attention to every detail. I have never had any negative experiences with them in the year I have been going there. Everything happened just as they presented it to me, no surprises. I felt well informed, and confident going into both my  surgeries with him- D.S. and seperate gallbladder, 8 months appart. I was very pleased I had chosen him as my surgeon, and his practice for support. Everyone there makes  sure all your questions are answered before going on to a new topic. I never felt rushed through my visits. My husband is a doctor. He is as pleased as I am with the professionalism of the group and my experiences with them.

I know of many Grand Health Partners Patients with the D.S. who use Vitalady doses. Not a problem as far as I have heard. My vitamin dosage is determined by my labs. The numbers are within the normal range for each one. The quality of my vitamins is very good, and I absorb them well.

The best advice I have is to go for the best surgeon you can find, who does lots of D.S,s with a good track record. I am 9 months out from surgery. All went smoothly, much better than I expected. I only had pain at  the surface of 2 of the incisions. I never had any deep pains  from all the rerouting he did. At the end of the first month, I was working around the house, a quick recovery because of the Laparoscopic surgery he did for me. My insurance- BCBS of Mi was quick to approve my D.S. I didnt need pre approval. Had my date in a month, which gave me time to have the labs done, and see the internist, psyc apt, nutritionist and sports physiologist.

Shopping around for a surgeon and program that suits your needs is the best way to go. I went to 2 introductory lectures close to me to meet the surgeons and hear about the possible types of surgeries. Only one offered the D.S., Dr Kemmeter. It is rare to find such a tallented surgeon within my reach, when there are less than 50 vetted D.S. surgeons nationally. ( see the OH list of D.S. surgeons on the vetted, approved list) When you meet the doctor and their staff, you will know who is best for you.

Sandra 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Virgo64
on 5/22/12 5:29 am
Hi Sandra,

I have to tell you, I have read some of your other posts, and you are such a wealth of information.  I really appreciate the information that you share on this board - it is very helpful!!

I just got off the phone with Dr. Kennemer's office, and have reserved a spot for the June 5th seminar he will be speaking at!!  I'm so very excited!! 

I suspect from what I've heard so far that I will like working with him and his group far better than Dr. Inman, and I really like how involved it seems they are with you every step of the way.  I know I need and want that kind of support before, during, and after the surgery. 

My insurance is BCBS of Massachusetts, and like yours will be quick to approve because wls is mandated coverage with no hoops to jump through.  Sounds like he may be "the one" and I could be off and running soon!!

Thanks again!
JazzyOne9254
on 5/29/12 12:15 pm
If you're moving to Indy, you may be at Dr. Inman's/St. V's  sooner or later.

St. V's is the only Bariatric Center Of Excellence in the state of Indiana. 

They've been doing bariatric surgery at least since the late 1970's, back when stomach stapling was the thing, and when the BPD was done without the DS.  I was in college at IU when I first heard of them. I graduated in the '80's.

Anywhere else will be like swimming upstream.  The program has it's faults, but they really are working hard at trying to improve the care and feeding of DSers.

The fact that all the surgeons are in the same building as the bariatric center now may have something to do with it.

JazzyOne9254
on 5/29/12 12:20 pm
Sandra-

Boy times have changed!  When I had my surgery in 2009, there were only 50 in the *world*!

It seems the DS is moving to the top of the list for a lot more people!

beemerbeeper
on 5/22/12 5:01 am - AL
I think blaming Inman for not getting frequent enough labs is a cop out.  I haven't seen my surgeon since I was one week post op.  Getting my labs and getting ALL the labs I need is MY RESPONSIBILITY and I knew that going in.  I have never had a pcp not sign a lab sheet when I presented it to them to sign and I have used SEVERAL different pcps due to relocating to another state.

NO one in Alabama has ever HEARD of the DS, but I get my labs like clockwork. 

Typing this mainly for the OP and lurkers.

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 379 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 828 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views