my BMI is over 50!!!!!!!!!!! what wl should i do? help

KeishaCoCoBolton
on 5/24/12 11:32 am - chicago, IL
 5'2 (298)
Virgo64
on 5/24/12 11:49 am
What research have you done so far, and have you been to any seminar's?
KeishaCoCoBolton
on 5/25/12 2:59 am - chicago, IL
 I have been reseaching for about three mts now. LAP BAND, RNY,SLEEVE. currently seaching info about DS....My first doctor(SEMINAR) appointment is 5/30 in chicago with WESTLAKE MEDICAL CENTER ..Their is  a DS doctor in Chgo, at The University of Chgo ...------THE BEST CHOICE'S FOR ME WILL BE EITHER  SLEEVE OR DS......THANK YOU ALL 
Virgo64
on 5/25/12 3:50 am
I wouldn't go with a sleeve because too many post surgery patients have said that they would have no problem out-eating the sleeve.  Like you, I am pre-op and doing and doing my research.  To me, if I am going to have surgery, I want to have the one that will have the most benefit long term so I don't have to have a revision surgery to get the procedure I should have gotten to begin with. 

Regarding choosing a surgeon, depending on your situation, you are lucky to live in an area where you actually have 3 choices.  Like 2 other posters have mentioned, there is Dr. Kemmeter in Grand Rapids, Mi.  In Indianapolis there is Dr. Margaret Inman, and at the Univ. of Chicago there is Dr. John Alverdy. 

I live in NW Indiana and can get to all 3 doctors, but personally I'm thinking I will be going with Dr. Kemmeter in Grand Rapids.  I love every single thing I've heard and read about his program, and feel they would be a good fit for me.  I am going to his seminar on June 5th and hope to get the ball rolling right after that. 

Hope this helped.

Sandra C.
on 5/24/12 12:20 pm, edited 5/24/12 12:21 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 Chicago is close to Michigan. I think you should look into my surgeon, and the Duodenal Switch. They have such a great support system to guide you all along the way to help you have success, and confidence to keep you aiming for healthy goals. It all starts with attending the information seminar, and meeting the surgeon, and his nurse coordinator Cathy Mooney. She answered all my million questions helping me transition into their program. When I look back now at all I went through in the beginning, its really much easier than I thought it would be. PM me if you want to ask me anything.
Check out  www.Grandhealthpartners.com, you can learn a lot just by reading their site, and www.saintmarysweightloss.org   The Saint Mary's  Hospital weight loss  site has info too. Be sure to call the office at Grand Health Partners to see which lecture date Dr.Kemmeter will be giving. This is the first step to your journey of a lifetime. I wish I had done it sooner, but I didnt know about the Duodenal Switch. Its the best, I wouldnt consider any other type of WL Surgery. If you have any questions, just PM me, click on my  picture, and read my story blog. Check out Dr. Kemmeter's page in the doctors section on this site. The patient reviews tell it all. He's so good with everyone, they all like him, and he's one of the Top Docs for the Duodenal Switch in the country.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

MsBatt
on 5/24/12 2:21 pm
Your BMI is 54.5.

The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of ANY size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50.

There are a number of other reasons to choose the DS as well. Research the DS, and you'll know if it's right for you. You can learn more at www.dsfacts.com, and there's a good Weight Loss Surgery baord on proboards, too. Lots of DS vets hang out there.
JazzyOne9254
on 5/25/12 12:37 am

When I had my DS, I was 405 pounds at 5' 5".

Today, I'm stable at 165 pounds.  I have 15-20 pounds of loose skin remaining, especially on my thighs, that I'm having a tough time getting done, even though it's been documented and found medically necessary.

Two very prominent Chicagoans have the DS -  Jesse Jackson Jr, and his sister, Santita Jackson.   I beleive theirs were done at the U of C hospital, but that was back when the DS was still "experimental" in the United States. Jesse, Jr. may have had his done in DC, but nevertheless, I know the U of C did offer the DS at one time.  Not sure if they do now, but it's worth checking around.  Chicago should have a surgeon and a plan where you don't have to leave home to get the surgery you want. 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Julie R.
on 5/25/12 1:45 am - Ludington, MI
I second what the others have to say.   Do your research, and please consider Dr. Kemmter.    He truly is a competent and concerned surgeon.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

beemerbeeper
on 5/25/12 11:54 am - AL
Hands down the reasearch says the DS.
you can find research at www.dsfacts.com

Becky

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/12 10:24 pm - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12
Even though I had the vsg, I personally think that the DS is excellent especially for someone with a BMI of 50. Only reason I didn't choose it is because I knew I couldn't keep up with the vitamin and protein requirements the way I would need to in order to be healthy. DS is a much better surgery than RNY in my opinion. Too many risks with RNY and without the long-term weight loss success that many DS'ers enjoy. The DS has the best long term weight loss of all your options, proven time and time again with studies that compare it to other weight loss surgeries. Good luck :-)

Hope you DS'ers don't mind me chiming in here. :-)
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 624 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 984 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 334 views