Hold On To Your Shakes!

JazzyOne9254
on 7/25/12 4:14 am, edited 7/26/12 5:28 pm
I know the  NUTS tell us by a year, we should be getting all our protein from food, but for me, shakes have saved my life. Early out, in 2009, when my DS was new, and even now, after the worst labs I've ever had. The malabsorptive nature of our surgeries demands that we stay ahead of the game, but, life happens, and we get a little sloppy.  That's what I'm dealing with right now, and let me tell you, infusions are no picnic! I had my first one Tuesday, and it took up the better part of the day.
Don't let this happen to you! Better yet, learn the signs and symptoms of protein malnutrition, so if it does, you can nip it in the bud! I have Lori Black's experience to thank for teaching me what to watch for,and a PCP who will listen and learn.
A major part of being a DSer is being able to advocate for yourself. When one of us is having issues, please *learn* from it!

My last 6 month labs indicated deficiencies in Vitamins A and D, iron, high PTH (which means your parathyroids, which are usually silent, have kicked in and are leaching calcium from your bones), low prealbumin (the beginning of protein calorie malnutrition) protein barely in normal range at 20.3. 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

NoreenRT
on 7/25/12 10:55 am - Warner Robins, GA
great post.  thanks.  i couldn't agree more.  3 years out, and everyday i still do 3 protein shakes or protein coffees a day.  there is no way i could get that kind of protein by eating food.
with our surgery we need to be proactive not reactive.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

J G.
on 7/25/12 3:10 pm
Hey, Jazzy.  Sorry things got out of wack.  :O(    What kind of infusions?
JazzyOne9254
on 7/26/12 1:44 am, edited 7/26/12 5:13 pm
  Iron, multivitamin,and calcium for three weeks once a week. Also working on the protein again. 
Word to the wise: if you start getting lower leg swelling, it's highly likely that you've got protein calorie malnutrition going on.  Again * never * completely let go of your shakes! If you get sloppy about nutrition, vites and protein, like I did, it doesn't take very long.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

MajorMom
on 7/25/12 7:47 pm - VA

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

merrymorris
on 7/26/12 4:53 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Thanks for the advice!! I stopped my protein drinks but I will start them again.
Miggy
on 7/26/12 11:05 am
DS on 05/03/12
 Thank you for this reminder.  I'm three months out and have been a bit "sloppy" lately with my protein intake.  Thanks again for sharing your experience, although sorry you have to go through it.  I hope to learn from this and will start supplementing my protein with shakes.  Shakes are the only way for me, theres no way I could consume enough protein (I need 80-100 grams p/d) through eating.  At least not anymore ;-)

DS4life
on 7/29/12 3:45 am
If you can't get all your protein in with food,  do you have another problem?  is it hard to swallow?  Get too nausious, or it hurts to eat solids?  Do you have a problem with getting time to eat many small meals a day?  

You don't want to drink shakes the rest of your life.   Food is too good.    Please consider trying harder to get your protien in with food.   The whole Idea for me getting a DS was that I could return to a pretty normal diet after a while.  (just protein first,  mind you).  I will suplement with Shakes and powders, but it will not be my  'main' source of protein.

why did you chose this surgery?   It definitely wasn't to drink protein shakes all day everyday..

Miggy
on 7/29/12 4:40 am
DS on 05/03/12
 As I mentioned, I am only 3 months out from my surgery.  I know overtime I will be able to eat a bit more, or at least a normal size portion.  Currently, I am not able to eat very much per meal.  I have overdone it a couple times in the beginning and got super nausious.  So I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner and supplement with shakes in between.  I agree with you I definitely dont want to drink shakes all day everyday.  I was just saying it is a must for me, at the moment, to reach my daily protein requirements.  

MajorMom
on 7/29/12 4:22 am - VA
I'm with you. I've done shakes and food over the past 5 years and still have great restriction. Do what you have to do to stay healthy and keep your weight down.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 329 views
calcium/protein