What's the truth about POOP?

LadyLucky
on 8/25/12 10:22 pm - KS
If my subject line got your attention and you've had the DS (or know someone who has), please share your experience (the good, the bad and the smelly) about your bowel movements post-op.

I'm considering a revision from the sleeve to either the gastric bypass or the DS.  My hesitation with the DS is unpredictible, smelly, loose stools.  A friend had the DS and there seems to be a smelly poo issue as well as needing to go right after eating anything.  Of course, having lost 150 pounds, she says it was still worth it.

I'm just looking for the truth from some veterans on here to help me decide between the two options for a revision.

Thanks in advance!!!
Huneypie
on 8/26/12 9:33 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
I'm only a month out, but so far it's not been that bad.  Poop smells but then it smelled before and I can't say it's lots worse.  I go 3 or 4 times a day (sadly I really seem to take my sweet time going).  I go mostly in the morning.

I use an oil burner in the bathroom and Fabreze as well as having the window open.  FWIW I don't really suffer form stinky gas (I barely suffer from gas and the little I have doesn't smell).

Your most obvious revision is to the DS as you have a sleeve already.  It's also your best bet for success, especially as a 2 parter as they do tend to lose weight slower.

Have a look at this link for comparisson of DS and RNY  http://www.dsfacts.com/Comparison-of-DS-and-RNY.html 

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Debbie P.
on 8/26/12 11:09 am - Kettering, OH
I'm 6 1/2 years out.  Yes, it smells.  I would say a little worse -- but it also depends on what I have eaten.  LOTS and LOTS of carbs will make it a bit worse.

I go once (sometimes twice) a day.  Usually I go upon waking.  I don't go after eating.  I don't have loose or uncontrollable movements.  I did early on -- not uncontrollable, but looser. 

It seems this part of the DS is WAY overblown to me.  My neighbor had the DS too (she's 8 1/2 years out) and she is much like me.

Hope this helps.

Debbie ~

Larissa P.
on 8/26/12 11:26 am - Denton, TX
I just did a post and I include info on my poop issues so you can read that.

In the bathroom we keep old fashioned wooden matches and scented candles, they seem to do better than sprays.
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
route66hello
on 8/26/12 2:05 pm - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
Hi,

My experience so far is a little worse. I am 5 months out and on solid foods for about 5 weeks now. But even when I was on the feeding tube it was the same. They smell awful and much worst than "regular". I have a citrus spray I always use. So far there is no pattern to when I go. I have had several accidents (very embarrassing) and usually when I have to go I need to find a bathroom quick. I just upped the Probitoc - Primal Defense Ultra - from 2x to 3x per-day and that did seem to help. Nothing else has. The stools are still loose but more time in between and not quite the urgency. I hope in my case it gets better overtime. We are all different.

Hope this helps. Terri
its-killen-me
on 8/26/12 4:15 pm - Selkirk, Canada
DS on 06/14/12
I am 2 1\2 months post op, and I go usually 3 to 4 times a day as long as I don't drink sodas. Stools are usually soft \ loose but not a problem.  Sugary drinks are a problem for people who have had both types of surgeries RNY and DS.  Smell is no different than before in my case.  But everyone is different. I usually go in the morning sometimes 2 times. 
Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon - Medical guide Laurie Wolf Received money Never showed up - Only thing booked were flights.  Surgeon and Medical team, and hospital were awesome .  There is another Medical guide named Trish she is good.  PM me for info.    
PatXYZ
on 8/26/12 9:28 pm
I had my DS 5.5 months ago. No complications and I can tolerate almost any foods, but I limit my carbs and severely limit wheat. I go once or twice a day, not loose, just normal stools. They smell only slightly worse than pre-op unless I've eaten too many carbs, then it can be quite a bit worse. I don't bother with any kind of extra spray or anything though, I just courtesy flush in public. I've never had any 'accidents' and have not had any diarrhea or even loose stools other than the first few weeks post-op. The calcium supplements you'll be taking are much more likely to induce constipation than looseness! (though that hasn't been issue either, it has just been normal). I do not have any more gas now than I had pre-op, but it is a bit smellier, but so far this hasn't been an issue at work as I just wait until I'm outside or in the bathroom and it's only been a couple of times that the need has struck. This is a really overblown issue and should never be a reason someone doesn't want the DS. Most people that have serious problems with this actually have an infection, bacterial overgrowth, or are non-compliant with their diet or supplements.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
zix
on 8/26/12 4:13 pm, edited 8/26/12 4:13 pm - PA
DS on 02/13/12
I'm 6 months out and most days go once or twice. I'm one of the many DS'ers who tends toward constipation, although very early out it was more frequent and looser. I can directly correlate this to calcium, once I switched to a cheaper no name brand and was blocked up for a couple days immediately thereafter. The smell is definitely worse than before, but then it was no bouquet of roses before, so it's all relative. It's noticeably worse when I've had a higher carb intake so it's totally within my control in that respect.
I started a new job 3 months ago and I was worried about bathroom issues but I've only needed to go at work one time so my body appears to have adjusted to that schedule.
I was not a person who had a lot of gas preop and I honestly don't notice an increase postop. My husband (non-DSer) farts way more than I do LOL.
MsBatt
on 8/27/12 1:08 pm
My poop is far more predictible now than it was pre-op. Yes, it smells a bit worse, but the smell is totally dependant on what I choose to eat. My stool is somewhat looser than it was pre-op, but then, pre-op I had trouble with constipation. (I occassionally have trouble with constipation post-op, too!)

If you'll go to the RNY board and do a search on gas, you'll find that theirs can be a real issue too.
amccu18007
on 8/28/12 7:45 pm - Newark, DE
My poo smells worse now. However, I poo on a schedule now. Once upon waking and then about a half hour later. It's like clockwork. I am 2 years out. I don't have a lot of gas unless I eat a TON of carbs. I have no intolerances. I wouldnt have a rny no matter what.
  Amanda
SW 269    CW 135.6  GW 140    

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 739 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1038 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 349 views