Weight loss?? Simply venting I guess.

myahsmommy
on 4/10/13 8:25 am - OH
DS on 12/18/12

I'm almost 4 months post op.  I feel like I'm doing nothing but failing!!  Granted, I've lost 50 lbs so far.  But what is normal?  I know that there probably isn't one, but I'd hoped for more by now.  Of course, there was the back surgery 2 months post op that has kept me out of the gym up until now...  I need some help with this...  I find myself getting too full, know it, but am having issues with self control.  Not all the time but definitely have my days.  Also, I just don't see if coming off.  The clothes are smaller, but that's about all I see.  Anyone facing or faced this?  I seriously don't want to fail at this, and feeling a little down so soon after surgery.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

MajorMom
on 4/10/13 8:36 am - VA

You're doing better than 10 pounds a month even with back surgery in the mix and that's awesome! I bet once you get to moving more often at the gym or just walking and keeping your carbs low, you'll be seeing the difference soon. Take your measurements and take pictures. Every now and then, you'll catch a glimpse of your reflection and wonder who that person is.  : )

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PSaadallah
on 4/10/13 12:29 pm - Arlington, TX
DS on 12/15/12

You and I are almost identical in post-op time and weight off.  Some folks have lost more in the same time, but I think we're right on track.  Slow and steady wins the race!  Don't use just the scale to measure success.  Smaller clothes is definitely a plus!  Take your measurements too.

Instead of thinking about how few pounds we've lost - I think about how long it would have taken me to lose 50 pounds prior to my surgery!  Probably would never have happened at all!!

Now that you can exercise I think you'll see the scale move more and you'll start feeling better too.

Hang in there - we're doing a great job!!

Kim B.
on 4/10/13 12:55 pm - Mesa, AZ

When in your life have you ever lost 50 pounds in 4 months?!?!  That is amazing!  It did not take 4 months to put the weight on and you can not expect it to come off that quickly or easily.  There will be times of no weight loss at all but yet your clothes will fit better, it is as if your body has to catch up with itself or something.  Keep doing what you are doing, it seems to be working!

jashley
on 4/10/13 1:35 pm
DS on 12/19/12

My time frame is about the same as yours.  The first 50 came off really quickly - then it all slowed down to a crawl (in comparison).  I guess I need to up my exercise and cut down on some snacking. 

I have read/watched others who have zoomed right past me so fast my hair was flying in the wind.  I try to remember it's an individual journey.  Some have an easier time of it than me when it comes to weight loss.  Still, I would have never lost the 50 lbs without the DS so I'm OK with having to work at it much harder now.

jzwife
on 4/10/13 4:18 pm

You are doing awesome!!! I am a newbie and I will be thrilled if I can have 50lbs off in 4 months! I just keep setting little goals for myself. It makes it easier to look at those accomplishments and successes. Keep doing what you are doing and soon it will be 100lbs. I don't know how much you have to lose but if you keep going at this rate you will have 120lbs off by Christmas!

Sharonangry

docputer
on 4/10/13 10:25 pm - Topeka, KS
DS on 01/17/13

I don't know how losing 50 lbs is failing. That would seem to be the opposite to me. Especially since you have had the other surgery. Everyone loses at their own pace.

The DS is doing it's job. All you have to do now is feed yourself properly, and get moving when your body allows it. And try to stay away from the evil carbs. (That is the source of my roadblocks)

southernlady5464
on 4/10/13 10:52 pm

You are a lightweight. (Starting BMI less than 45 or less than 150 lbs to lose) and you are trying to compare apples to oranges.

Read this...if you need to, read it again and again. (BTW, 50 lbs in 4 months is AWESOME)

It's not POUNDS, it's PERCENTAGES!

by Carolyn M.

Two people, both 6 months post-op. One has lost only 63 pounds and feels bad about her "slow" weight loss. The other has lost 96 pounds and thinks she's doing great.

They are both wrong.

Person A had only 105 excess pounds, so she has already lost 60% of her excess weight. She is actually ahead of the game at 6 months out and is on track to lose it ALL.

Person B had 265 excess pounds. At 6 months out she has only lost 36% of her excess weight. At this rate, she will end up retaining 28% of her excess weight, enough to keep her in the obese category.

See what I mean? Don't compare pounds to pounds, that's like apples and oranges.

Percent of excess weight lost: pounds lost divided by total excess pounds
Use a BMI of 25 as a goal weight

On track to lose it all is 25% lost after 2 months, 50% after 6 months, and 80% at one year.

Please note: These are averages. Your mileage may vary.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Karamay
on 4/11/13 12:12 am - NJ
DS on 12/18/12

I had my DS surgery on the exact same day as you and have lost the exact same amount of weight....56 lbs!!  I am thrilled with all of the SV & NSV!!  The scale has moved consistently and the other things I am seeing are my clothes falling off of me, easier to get out of a car, my hands smaller (weird, I know), so much more energy, etc...  I have at least 1-2 co-workers a day coming up to me asking about my loss and what my 'secret' is ( I did not tell anyone at work what I had done).  All in all, I am very happy with my progress so far.  I have been lurking enough to know that my weight loss seems to be on track with others of my starting weight/height.  Sometimes you may want to look at other areas in your life that have gotten better to gain motivation & inspiration.

And to SouthernLady's point, you have lost over 50% of your excess weight in under 4 months!!!!  That is AWESOME!  I would say, keep up the good work and when you can get back to exercising, it is really gonna come off!

DS (Lap) on 12/18/12 w/ Dr. Onopchenko, HW- 242, SW- 231, GW- 130  Height - 5'3"

thinlizzie12
on 4/12/13 12:15 am - KS
DS on 01/24/13

I agree with all the posts! You re doing great! The first 50 did melt right off for me but now I have been stuck at 52 pounds down for week....which I cannot complain.....its down, not up;) Our bodies probably go through shock mode....alot is happening to it still....I am just going to be patient and keep doing what I am doing....I feel a heck of alot better..like someone stuck a pin in me and deflated me,lol.....We are all in this together....you are not alone;)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 682 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views