Vitamin D, PTH, and B12 Issues

~~Sami~~ *.
on 5/28/13 10:59 am - Jacksonville, FL

I am 5 years out from my VSG and seriously considering adding the DS.

My surgeon had me do 6 month post-surgery blood work after my surgery--and even in that short time, I was already dealing

with very low D, elevated PTH, and low B12.  Thanks to Vitalady's help, those issues resolved--but at my most recent blood work, they're back.

Does anybody know if it's the sleeve portion that affects absorption/issues with those things? I know the sleeve (and intrinsic factor) affect B12, but I haven't ready anything regarding vitamin D.  Just wondering if the DS could complicate it, or if its the sleeve that causes the issues to begin with.

Thanks. :)

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

A. C
on 5/28/13 12:48 pm

It is my understanding the sleeve portion affects very little of the absorption issues.  The DS portion (our small intestines) is where our lack of absorption is = Our Common Channel.  You are strictly a sleeve patient.

Low D is a fat soluble vitamin, something that is especially hard for us as DSrs, but in general, something that is common to our Society now.  I have many friends who are not WLS patients, who are having Vit D bloodwork, and are low. 

As a sleeve patient, you can bring it up with Biotech Vit D.  I would ask your Internist for injectible B12.  He/she can tell you how often you need it.

I'm not a Dr... These are just my first impressions...

MsBatt
on 5/29/13 5:29 am

Actually, the 'common channel' is the only part of our small intestine where 'normal' absorption does take place. Where we're malabsorbing in in the alimentary limb, which carries food and digestive enzymes from the stomach to the common channel. We malabsorb there because there's no bile to emulsify fats. This means that we can't absorb fats there at all, and it hinders the absorption of things that are bound to fats. (We do still absorb SOME protein and complex carbs in the alimentary limb, and simple carbs start to be absorbed in the MOUTH!)

fullhousemom
on 5/29/13 9:53 am
The low B12 should be able to be resolved. I take sublingual B12 from Vitalady and my B12 level is thru the roof. Others may have B12 shots, though I dont know if it is because the sublinguals didnt work for them or if they do it for convenience. In general, we absorb our Bs......not like the fat soluble ADEKs.

As far as the high PTH and the low D..... DSers dont absorb calcium well, so if you were looking at the DS whi*****ludes the malabsorption component of weight loss, I would check with my endo before going forth.

Your question specifically asks about the sleeve. The sleeve is a restrictive element of weight loss. You will eat less. I can think of no reason why your D, PTH, or B12 would be impacted.
~~Sami~~ *.
on 5/29/13 11:10 am - Jacksonville, FL

Thanks everybody.

Yes, the sleeve does affect absorption of B12.  That I know.  Basically, the fundus (the stretchy bit of the stomach that is removed) produces intrinsic factor necessary for B12 absorption.  So Sleevesters are known for having B12 issues.  Actually, Vitamin D/PTH, Cal/Mag, iron...all can be issues with the sleeve.

I just didn't know if there were known reasons for the D as well.  I do know about the fat solubule vitamins and DSers... but when people talk about DS-related vitamin issues, I don't usually see them broken down by which part of the anatomy is affecting it.  

I'll chat with my surgeon before going ahead with a revision...and of course, can't consider anything until my levels are up regardless.  Who knows, these all may have been issues before my sleeve, or even before my band.  No idea really as I don't recall ever having blood work done for vitamins until after my sleeve.

For those curious about vitamin issues and VSG patients, I actually found this which explained a lot of the reasons why VSGers do see b12, vitamin D, PTH and  iron/anemia issues.here's one study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3021197/

Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Amy W.
on 6/21/13 1:03 am - Buckeye, AZ
"very low D, elevated PTH, and low B12. Thanks to Vitalady's help, those issues resolved"
Sami! I too have those issues! How did Vitalady resolve them?! I'm desperate for answers! Did you just take high D3? I just bought the 50,000iu of Vitamin D3 and I'm searching for the best pills for Calcium Citrate right now. Please help!! Thanks sooo much!
~Amy

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

~~Sami~~ *.
on 6/21/13 3:32 am - Jacksonville, FL

Hi Amy:

Yes. I took 50,000 IU of D3 twice per week for like 6-8 weeks and that helped bring my D up and my PTH down.  If you email her, she might be able to offer some advice.   :)

JazzyOne9254
on 6/21/13 2:03 pm

Amy-

I had calcium issues, and what helped me was the Cal/Mag powder, mixed with orange juice. 

It seemed to be better absorbed. I also had low D and high PTH.  Calcium is what brings the PTH down, but it also needs Magnesium and D to be assimilated into your bones. 

Just like the Holy Trinity of cajun cooking (onion, garlic and celery) - Cal/Mag/D could be the Holy Trinity of supplements!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Amy W.
on 6/21/13 11:21 pm - Buckeye, AZ
Thanks so much for replying! That really helps! My husband has these pills with Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc. Would that be a good supplement to take daily with my Vitamin D?!

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 374 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 826 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views