article: What to Eat for a Flatter Stomach

jashley
on 9/24/13 2:14 am
DS on 12/19/12

An article from Upton's web site that shows low carbing is the best diet for an apple shaped person.

What to Eat for a Flatter Stomach

September 19, 2013 by Julie Upton, MS, RD, CSSD

What to eat for a flatter stomach….

At my CrossFit gym, everyone wants to know how to get fab abs.

Even though CrossFit makes us do thousands of GHD sit-ups, crunches, planks, single-armed overhead squats and other ab-strengthening exercises, most athletes can feel how strong their core is, but they can’t see any definition.

Melissa, one of the best CrossFitter’s at my gym who has rock-hard abs that you can see and feel reminds everyone, “Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym!”

That’s because the only way to see your abs is to get your body fat down so there’s not so much body fat covering up your hard work.

There’s more than cosmetic reasons to care about your middle: Carrying extra fat around your middle is harmful to your health. Period. Whether you’re sporting a muffin top or a full on Homer Simpson, it’s a sign that you have too much deeply deposited fat in your abdomen. This type of deep belly fat, (called visceral fat, central fat, or intra-abdominal fat) is liked to diabetes, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, high blood pressure and insulin resistance.

However, some new studies show that eating fewer nutrient-poor carbohydrates (read: candy, soda, baked goods) helps target ab fat better than regular low-fat diet. Could fewer carbs= less ab fat? Research Says….Maybe

A recent study presented at the Endocrine Society’s annual meeting, Barbara Gower, Ph.D., from the University of Alabama, Birmingham, revealed results from her study whi*****luded 69 overweight men and women who were put on a weight maintenance diet for eight weeks and then a weight reduction diet for eight weeks. The two different diet interventions tested were a typical US diet (comprised of 55% calories from carbs, 27% fat and 18% protein) versus a diet that provided 43% of calories form carbs, 39% from fat and 18% from protein.

The diets were matched for each subjects’ caloric intake to assure no weight loss during the first phase of the study. In the second phase, each subject’s diet was reduced by 1,000 calories a day and all food was provided during the total duration of the study. The researchers used the most advanced body composition scans, called DEXA, to monitor the total body fat of the subjects before and after each diet trial.

Results? After the weight maintenance phase, subjects who consumed the moderately carb-restricted diet had 11 percent less deep belly fat compared to those who at the more traditional carb-rich diet.

Is there an Ab-Blasting Diet?

Despite all the “Abs Diet” books and special ab-flattening exercises, any weight loss will result in losing belly fat because abdominal fat is readily mobilized when you reduce your calories lower than what you burn off (read: lose weight). In fact, a modest reduction in body weight can lead to significant reductions in belly fat.

Other human clinical trials have also found results consistent with the UAB researchers: Diets that are lower in carbohydrates and higher in protein and fat (40% calories from carbs, 30% from fat and 30% from protein) may help reduce visceral fat better than typical high-carb diets.

Huneypie
on 9/24/13 5:09 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Thanks that's an interesting article, when will mainstream realise this!!

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

hollykim
on 9/24/13 6:34 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I totally find this to be true for myself. Totally.

Irishnurse
on 9/24/13 8:14 am, edited 9/24/13 8:14 am
DS on 04/17/13

A good read, thank you!  My mother eats like this. She remains thin with no belly fat. My mother has been saying this for years.
I on the other hand was a carb addict and maintained horrible big blobs of belly fat. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

jashley
on 9/24/13 1:32 pm
DS on 12/19/12

In all my years of dieting, I did some experiments with various diets.  I can lose the same amount of weight on low carb as weigh****chers.  But my belly is significantly smaller on a low carb diet - even though I weigh the same amount.  Low carbing seems to be the only thing that shaves the belly fat for me.

Shavonne P.
on 10/6/13 8:28 am

this is absolutely true

Nothing feels better than being able to go into ANY store and fit their clothes!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 299 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 771 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views