The egg - cheap protein

jashley
on 9/26/13 2:23 am
DS on 12/19/12

I thought I would share my recipe for baked custard (or Mexican Flan).  Each egg adds 6 gms of protein.  If you use Splenda or other sugar substitute, your carbs for the total batch are around 14.

I love this recipe because it's really easy, gives you a dessert that is DS friendl and it's cheap to make.

Combine into a bowl and wisk:
6 eggs
6 egg yokes (save the whites for an omlette the next day)
1 cup of Splenda brown sugar (or white sugar, if you prefer).  Sometimes I add more molasses for a dark brown sugar taste.
1 or 2 TSP Vanilla extract
spices of your choice:  I use cloves, nutmeg, ground ginger, or even savory spices like basil, oregano or rosemary.  What ever you like, you can put into this custard.  Sometimes I add 1/2 cup of dark chocolate, or 1/4 cup cocoa powder for chocolate custard.  Sometimes I don't add any spices - it's good as plain old custard (and you can top it with SF sauces, SF jam, or whip cream).

In a pan on the stove, heat up 4 cups of milk (or cream or half N half) to the point of boiling.  You want to scald the milk, but not burn it. 

Here is the tricky part.  You need to temper the eggs.  So take a ladle full of hot milk and slowly stream it into the eggs as you whisk them.  You are not trying to whip the eggs - just keep them moving around the bowl as you slowly pour in the boiling milk.  Keep adding ladles of hot milk as you stir your eggs.  You are slowly raising the temperature of the eggs by doing this.  If you dump all that hot milk in the eggs all at once, the eggs will cook and curdle - game over.

Now you have eggs, sugar, hot milk and spices in the bowl.  Time to prepare your pan.

Use 2 pans (or a set of ramekins).  Pour your custard into the smaller pan (or ramekins), set this pan (or ramekins) into the bigger pan.  Fill the bigger pan with boiling water from your tea kettle.  The custard cooks in a bath of ho****er.

Cook for 45 minutes to an hour at 300 degrees.  The custard is done when a clean knife inserted just to the side of center comes out clean.  If you jiggle the custard, the center should jiggle when it's done - don't be tempted to keep cooking it till nothing jiggles! 

Put your custard on the counter to cool, then refrigerate to set.  Mine never gets to the frig - I like it straight out of the oven with SF caramel sauce and whip cream.

If you have any questions on how to do this, please ask.  Always willing to help a fellow DSer have dessert.

Irishnurse
on 9/26/13 2:28 am
DS on 04/17/13

Sounds awesome!! I will try it! Thanks Jashley!

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Valerie G.
on 9/26/13 2:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I lived off of custard and ricotta fluff my first year or so post op.  I didn't know your cool technique and my eggs curdled, but i didn't care.  It was still delicious.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

jashley
on 9/26/13 1:11 pm
DS on 12/19/12

This last batch, I took half the egg mixture and put it in a pan on the burner.  Whisked it while it warmed and thickened a bit, and ate it like thin pudding.  I couldn't wait for it to bake.  And I scarfed down the whole pan that day. 

I go through phases, but I usually make this every week.  Keeps me from snacking on bad stuff.

Huneypie
on 9/26/13 5:00 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Sounds like something I may have to try this weekend.  Thanks!! :-)

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

ladybug513
on 9/26/13 9:25 am - NY

Yum!!!  I'm salivating as I'm reading.  

First goal 120.0: 12/7/13  Final goal 115.0 (114.6):  2/6/14  

5'3  SW: 199 (12/11/11)  Current: 114.8 pounds  18% body fat   BMI: 20.3           

hollykim
on 9/27/13 12:56 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I made this and it is good...bUT... I used raw cows milk that had begun to sour a bit. I hate to waste it so bad so decided to use it for the custard,lol. Of course,it curdled,already being sour,but I am eating it anyway cause it tastes ok to me. I hate to waste food so bad,though my chickens will drink the sour milk. DH gagged on his first mouthful like he had a mouth full of maggots,but he is a wuss about things like that,lol.

I do intend to make it again with fresh raw milk and think it will be fine. I love the idea of cooking it on the stove top to make like a pudding. I thought I would eat the whole pan too but it seems very filling to me,which is good. I am glad not to have to worry about the cals and stuff thanks to my DS.

PattyL
on 9/27/13 5:19 am

Where do you find real milk??????

hollykim
on 9/27/13 5:48 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I am in Tennessee and there is a farm down my street that milks their own cows. It is sold for pet consumption but we drink it. Anyway. It is fresh right from the cow,the way nature intended.  To find farmers who offer it go to the Weston a price website and they have a directory.

PattyL
on 9/27/13 5:20 am

I make this quite often.  But I intentionally overcook it!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 839 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1093 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 368 views