Vitamin question

nativenewyorker64
on 1/1/14 6:09 am - UT

I went to vitaladies site and I am now more confused than ever. For example iron, there are 5 different types of iron. I'm not sure which one and how much to take and that goes for A, D, E and K too. I'm open to suggestions. I am taking 18,167 iu of A and want to up it a little. I want to up most things because all my numbers are a little less than my pre op numbers and I don't want to end up in a deficit in six months. I take 30 mg of iron ferrous fumarate and I want to change to vitaladies iron. Thanks again for all your input.

clpeltz
on 1/1/14 9:15 am

For iron you want heme iron (proferrin) or carbonyl iron.  You want to go slow introducing iron because it can upset tummy and cause constipation.  With vitaladys iron start with one a day and add another every couple of days until you work up to the dose you want to take.  I think some take up to 6 per day.  I take proferrin forte (by Rx) and I take one of those a day.  I also get IV iron infusions about once a year.  I just don't absorb any iron very well.

Tender A/BioTech A-25:  How low is your A?  You can start with one 25,000 unit dry A per day until you check labs again and then up it if you need to.  I take 75,000 units per day.

Tender D3/BioTech D-50:  You want your D level between 80-100.  So where you are currently at will help determine where to start.  I take 100,000 units per day.  

Tender E/BioTech E-400:  Start with one per day.  Some Dsers don't need to supplement E, so watch your labs.

Tender K/BioTech K1-1000:  Again, watch your labs.  I have a hard time keeping my K levels up.  I currently take 2000 units per day.  Most start with one a day and watch labs to determine if they need to increase or not.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

MajorMom
on 1/1/14 9:18 am - VA

You want Vitalady's Tender iron. In comes in a 60mg capsule with vitamin C already in it. If you want the Proferrin, I think it starts with Colorado Labs Proferrin Es or something like that. You want to take 300mg or 5 capsules of the Tender iron but start very slowly, 1 capsule a day the first week, add a second capsule the second week and so on until you're taking all 5 capsules at one time.

The vitamin A, you want the 25,000 IU capsules.

The D, you want the 50,000 IU capsules.

There should only be one vitamin E. It's 400 IUs.

The vitamin K is vitamin K1 and you want the 1,000 mcg capsules.

The Vitalady Tender lable tends to be the most economical.

Link to the basic plan:  http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_ BPDDS3-2010.pdf

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

mrsannie
on 1/2/14 10:52 pm

I take her "Tender Iron" which is 60 mg plus 400 mg Vit. C and have been good.  The Hematologist told me that we should be taking Carbonyl Iron, it is best absorbed by us.  Its pretty reasonably priced in comparison, it comes in bottles of 400.  Watch taking too much Vit. A it can be dangerous and can lead to hairloss.  so check with your Doc.

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
nativenewyorker64
on 1/3/14 1:52 am - UT

mrsannie,

Do you take only 60 mg of iron a day?

Huneypie
on 1/3/14 3:58 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Vitalady program is 5 x 60mg of tender iron.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

nativenewyorker64
on 1/3/14 2:06 am - UT

How much ADE&K do you take daily? Do you take copper and zinc too? Do you take according to what your blood work looks like?

Huneypie
on 1/3/14 4:00 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

3mg of copper.  2 x 50mg of zinc and adjust according to labs.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 352 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 806 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 270 views