cheap protein

o46spanky2
on 1/5/14 2:15 am

A big part of the challenge with protein shakes is that there are so many out there. i went to vitalady, ordered 25 or so samples for about $70 and narrowed it down to 6. Choc, Van, fruity ones, etc... so I wont get tired of any one or two flavors. Good luck

godzilla
on 1/5/14 3:52 am - Israel
I'm only a RnYerbut deign almost six years out and a believer in protein powder shakes.
I am a die-hard chocolate or coffee fan. I use a Blender Bottle and my drink has to be very cold.
I but the cheapest brand that is low-carb at the local gym.
Mikimi in Israel
Irishnurse
on 1/5/14 10:50 pm
DS on 04/17/13

Also, Jash, I do eat some protein with those veggies because I just crave meat at times. I just do not follow the regular way where you have to eat protein first then veggies. Sometimes I may just want to eat chicken. Sometimes I might want a big salad, sometimes I may just want a cup of mandarin oranges and a yogurt but its okay because I am getting my protein in with my shakes. =) It is less stressful to me as well not having to worry about whether or not I am getting enough protein in with food. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Huneypie
on 1/6/14 12:51 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Duh, sorry for posting about berries twice.  The 2nd time I thought I'd posted about it, but really couldn't find it!! :-S

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

jashley
on 1/6/14 2:21 am
DS on 12/19/12

It's OK - I now remember it! 

I bought a bag of frozen berries at Costco because I remembered your post, so thank you.

Huneypie
on 1/6/14 2:48 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

;-)

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

jashley
on 1/6/14 2:28 am
DS on 12/19/12

I used to buy the flats of eggs at Costco because they were averaging 1.40 - 1.50 a dozen.  These flats were 5 dozen per flat.  So I would buy 3 flats, take them home and crack all the eggs into the blender and blend.  Then freeze 1 cup (which is 5 large eggs = 30 grams of protein).  I thawed the egg containers in the frig and added a cup of blended eggs to all hot drinks, soups, anything I cooked, you name it-it had eggs in it.  Until the price of eggs kept creeping up to 1.80 a dozen. 

Eggs are the most perfect form of protein, easy to digest and absorb, and very versital.  I still use them a lot because they are cheap protein, but I don't buy them in bulk and use them as the primary source of protein like I used to.  It's probably healthier that I don't either. 

T Lady
on 1/6/14 8:51 am
I think they'd be perfectly healthy if they were your primary protein source. I'll bet your albumin levels were awesome!

Have you ever read a book called Protein Power? The author, Michael R. Eades describes a sedentary geriatric patient in the 80's or 90's who only ate eggs, he wouldn't touch anything else. I can't remember the exact number, but he consumed probably 1-2 dozen per day. When they checked his lab levels, he had beautiful numbers, very low cholesterol, amazing protein, everything was spot on! This was during the egg and cholesterol scare, so this was an eye opener for many docs at the time.

Original DS-1/07/09- Dr. Simper, SW: 286, LW:170, Post-op HW:194

Hiatal Hernia Repair & Revised DS to Hess Method-1/29/14- Dr. Keshishian, SW:194, CW:176, GW:130ish

PCOS w/ 2 post DS pregnancies!

jashley
on 1/6/14 9:14 am
DS on 12/19/12

Eggs are wonderful.  Full of nutrients, very bio-available to a DSer, versatile, and they were cheaper than any other source of protein.  So I did 60 grams of protein via eggs every day, and then ate chicken for another 30-60 grams.  I felt great.

I never had my cholesterol checked though.  I think that if we don't eat highly processed carbs, anything white, or sugar in any form, the rest of the myths about fat and cholesterol do not apply. 

Someone told me that our brains actually need cholesterol and it staves off Altz - and that high fat is good for staving off Atlz also.

T Lady
on 1/6/14 10:07 am
Agreed. The book emphasized in many ways that a high protein, high fat diet is healthy for everyone, not just DSers, as long as carbs weren't involved, so the body uses fat first for energy.

Also, the author spoke of autopsies and studies performed on Egyptian mummies which scientists came to the conclusion that Egyptians ate a "healthy" diet similar to our current food pyramid standards and as a result were obese, had heart disease, high blood pressure, poor dental health, etc.

Original DS-1/07/09- Dr. Simper, SW: 286, LW:170, Post-op HW:194

Hiatal Hernia Repair & Revised DS to Hess Method-1/29/14- Dr. Keshishian, SW:194, CW:176, GW:130ish

PCOS w/ 2 post DS pregnancies!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 358 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 817 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views