kidney stones, and I havent taken my calcium for three weeks...scared!!!!

dustycroy
on 3/13/14 7:31 pm
DS on 05/14/13
When you are in this much pain you don't want to do anything to make it worse, so I haven't taken my calcium in three weeks. What am I going to do??? Is there a calcium patch I can use so it doesn't have to go through my kidneys? I am so worried... Im not a strong, " I can take the pain" kind of person.... so weak..... Naproxin sodium does help. I just cant imagine what I am going to do to solve this. Im ten months out and I have the rest of my life, now what???? Im afraid of calcium....

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

MajorMom
on 3/13/14 7:49 pm - VA

It maybe not enough calcium citrate.  I just read a post Vitalady put up on her grads board. She said that much of our problems aren't from too much caclium but not enough. You may want to send her an email and ask her about that.

What are they going to do to address the current stones? I hope you get some relief ASAP.  :(

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Irishnurse
on 3/14/14 12:37 am
DS on 04/17/13

It depends on what type of stone it is. Not all kidney stones are caused by calcium there are several different types. Your doc needs to find out what type you have and what is causing it. 

Calcium stones are the most common type of kidney stone and occur in two major forms: calcium oxalate and calcium phosphate. Calcium oxalate stones are more common. Calcium oxalate stone formation may be caused by high calcium and high oxalate excretion. Calcium phosphate stones are caused by the combination of high urine calcium and alkaline urine, meaning the urine has a high pH.
Uric acid stones form when the urine is persistently acidic. A diet rich in purines—substances found in animal protein such as meats, fish, and shellfish—may increase uric acid in urine. If uric acid becomes concentrated in the urine, it can settle and form a stone by itself or along with calcium.
Struvite stones result from kidney infections. Eliminating infected stones from the urinary tract and staying infection-free can prevent more struvite stones.
Cystine stones result from a genetic disorder that causes cystine to leak through the kidneys and into the urine, forming crystals that tend to accumulate into stones.

After you find out what type and cause then you will know whether you are taking too much  calcium or not. My son has CHRONIC kidney stones. He has been dropping them since age 13. His are calcium based. His Aunts are not. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

airbender
on 3/14/14 7:36 am

that is one complication of fat malabsorption -enteric hyperoxaluria we are all at risk for potential kidney issues due to the DS.  you really should have at least once a year-more if you have issues...a 24 hr stone risk urine profile, I actually have posted this many times......  See a nephrologist, this will not go away, due to the fat malabsorption---as DSers we should see a nephrologist and an endo (or someone who understand metabolic bone disease), those are the two major ds issues,

dustycroy
on 3/14/14 5:51 pm
DS on 05/14/13
I appreciate all of your responses, and I thank you. Im not feeling well, not really like myself....... I hate these stones...uhg

Will2014
on 3/16/14 11:05 am

My brother Rich has had terrible kidney stones 3x now. He finally found a Dr. who told him that it doesn't matter what type of stones you're getting, if you drink 2 liters of water everyday they will stop. He's not had them since because he complies with this. Hope you're back on your feet quickly!

Will

dustycroy
on 3/16/14 3:17 pm
DS on 05/14/13
How long ago did he tell him that? Did it work? Im going to ask my Dr.. about a calcium patch like "Bodiva". My thinking is, the calcium would bypass my kidneys....... Im not sure that's how it works, I will ask Dr. and check it out. I will also ask vitalady's site what she thinks......

Huneypie
on 3/17/14 4:43 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

This link on Gerson Lemonade therapy may be of interest http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4486269/Some-Vitamin-Ad vice-Gerson-Therapy-and-Lemonade-Therapy-for/

You also may want to look into low oxalate diets.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

laynelakefish
on 3/18/14 9:24 am

breathe. i had surgery in 2006 and developed kidney stone problems a year later. here is what my doctors have me do: make sure that you are taking calcium CITRATE  and not calcium carbonate (this is the most common so you have to be diligent NOT to accidentally buy calcium carbonate)! i always buy "Citracal" brand at the stores. you should be taking 1200-1400mg of that each day. NEVER stop taking calcium daily. NEVER. you got the surgery and that means you committed to taking the required supplements for life. when you are in horrific pain, either go to the ER and have a kidney stone lithotripsy procedure (outpatient day surgery) if you have insurance; if you don't, try taking 4 magnesium pills and 4 B6 pills together...do that a few times a day. frequently, that combo will help whittle stone down to a smaller, passable size. also, you're not supposed to use any NSAID pain meds after surgery as they can cause pain and medical problems, and you wrote that you've been taking naproxen to help with pain. you are making your problem worse. go back and re-read all the literature your doctor gave you and make sure you follow the rules exactly. stop being scared and in pain and get to a doctor immediately -- you can go to a community health clinic for free if you don't have insurance.

laynelakefish
on 3/18/14 9:28 am

p.s.  always drink 8 cups of water a day! when you have a problem like this crop up, drink even more. you can never drink too much water when you have kidney stones.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 335 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 800 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views