diarrhea

Holdenwhat
on 7/29/14 4:47 am

OK, first of all, I know that the DS gives you diarrhea. Having said that- I am desperately trying to find what makes it worse some days. Right at 3 months (I am currently 5 months out) I started having diarrhea up to 10 times a day. It was so bad that I soiled myself several times.  THis went on for a month. Before that I had good days and worse days but never as bad as it became. I started tracking everything I was eating and all the meds/supplements I was taking and could not find an answer. I was on Prilosec for the first 3 months so I finally tried taking it again and it pretty much did the trick. Not sure why but I was thrilled.

I am willing to take Prilosec forever if that's what it takes but if something else is causing this, I would like to take care of that. I take multi vitamins, calcium citrate, a probiotic and Prilosec every day. My diet did not seem to make much of a difference- dairy is fine, veggies fine (except corn products). Too much grease increased it but that seemed to be short lived.

Any advice? I can even live with running to the bathroom except that (sorry to be graphic here) it sometimes bubbles out before I can get there. I want to make sure that I've done my part of eliminating or adding things to my diet/supplements before I go to my doctor.

Has anyone else been through this? How did you handle it?

MajorMom
on 7/29/14 4:55 am - VA

You might want to talk to your surgeon or your PCP about getting checked for C-diff. Otherwise, it sounds like you're doing everything right. I would stop all gluten (wheat and grains) and read labels carefully, it's in everything. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

larra
on 7/29/14 5:00 am - bay area, CA

It sounds like you might have either C diff colitis or bacterial overgrowth in your colon. If that is the case, it's treatable and there is no reason for you to suffer like this.

Contact your doctor. Get tested and if needed get treated. It will make a huge difference in your life.

And on another topic, you mention that you are taking multivits and calcium citrate, which is good, but are you also supplementing the fat soluble vitamins - D, A, and K? These are necessary with your DS because we absorb only about 20% of the fat we consume. You did not need them with your prior RNY. The best way to get them, really the only effective way short of injections, is with the "dry" form that is purchased over the counter. You can purchase them from Vitalady, who has better prices than the manufacturer, though you can also purchase them directly from Biotech if you want. If you haven't started taking them, get going now. It's much easier to maintain good levels than it is to play catch-up.

Larra

Holdenwhat
on 7/29/14 7:36 am

thanks Larra- I'm taking Bariatric Advantage High ADEK daily. I will have my blood check in two weeks, hoping it will show that all is well. I think it probably is time to contact my surgeon about the diarrhea. I just wanted to make sure that I've done all I can on my end. Thanks for your input. 

JazzyOne9254
on 7/29/14 2:07 pm

Not enough A,D, E or K1 & K2 in the Bariatric Advantage multi for what DSers need. 

Vitalady has a DS package that is great.  I used it immediately post op, and if you prefer, you can look around on Amazon, eBay and some of the vitamin websites to see if you can find what you need, *BUT* make sure you know what you're doing before you try that.  Talk to a DS vet, or to Vitalady.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Valerie G.
on 7/29/14 11:05 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Those vitamins usually prove to be not nearly enough for us, and way more money than you need to be spending.  I highly recommend the Biotech brand separately.  You can get them from Amazon, Vitalady, or Biotech directly.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Crazeru
on 7/29/14 8:46 am

If it's an overgrowth of bad bacteria, a round of Flagyl should really help.  To firm up, chia seeds were great for me. 

The dry D3 - 50k, A - 25k, E-400 - much higher than your ADEK that you are taking.  Plus, they are small.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

PattyL
on 7/29/14 1:02 pm

All of the above ^^^^.  And lastly if you have diarrhea, treat it!!!!!  Imodium is your friend!

JazzyOne9254
on 7/29/14 2:02 pm

What Major Mom said, also if you're eating simple carbs and simple sugars, get rid of those, too. 

That said, when I was first out, I soiled myself a few times, too, until I learned the signs that I needed to get to a bathroom fast!  Listen more closely to your body...the signals usually came in a certain sequence for me, and once you learn your particular pattern, you should be able to make it to the loo in plenty of time.

You are just five months out, and your newly re-routed innards need time to mature, and get used to the new configuration, so don't be so hard on yourself.  Probiotics can wreak havoc and give you the runs when you first start taking them, even when you're a normie and especially with altered anatomy.  The natural flora of your gut has been disrupted, and while probiotics will help restore it, dosing daily  might be a little bit too much for your new insides to handle right now.  Try working up to the regular daily dosage by taking just one a week, then two, then three, and so on. 

Pay attention to what your body does when it's time to potty, and you'll have won half the battle. 

Use Lactaid, or lactose-free milk for a while.  It really could be the lactose, which is milk sugar.   In my pre-op class, we learned that almost all DSers are lactose intolerant early out.  If you weren't LI when you had surgery, it will likely go away with time.  If you were LI before surgery, you will be even more so after.  How often are you eating?  Every two to three hours, eat a small meal.  one you can fit onto a bread or salad plate. And...try eating chia seeds for bulk.  I know a DSer who swears by them!

As DSers, we all have the surgery in common, but each and every one of us has different food intolerances post-op.   Listen to your body, and catch the signals early.  And yes, I wore Depends early out.  Sometimes they worked, sometimes not. 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Sunshine16
on 7/31/14 10:39 pm, edited 7/31/14 10:40 pm

Good advice Jazzy,

I was lactose intolerant before, now I am EXTREMELY lactose intolerant.  Plus you are right about the simple carbs.  I probably should not have straight sugar with my coffee and use Equal.  Spenda mess with my stomach, and I think it may give me the runs as well.  This surgery will definitely keep you on your toes.

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views