Question for those with or used to have Sleep Apnea

road2healthy
on 7/29/14 11:09 am

First off this is my first time posting I just joined the site today. I am going to be getting the duodenal switch and have done a lot of the steps, my provider being Aetna I have to go through a 90 day multi-disciplinary course. So the earliest my surgery will be is in November. 

The doctor requested a sleep study and I believe after it I may have some form of sleep apnea. I won't know for a week or so. My question is this what risk does sleep apnea add to the procedure/recovery.  I read a couple places that sleep apnea can increase the risk but I am unsure as of how?

So to my new found friends those who have similar hurdles to over come or have already over come them is there any information you can kindly toss my way. I know it's a question for the surgeon but I like being well informed before moving forward with everything

Thank you for your time :)

MajorMom
on 7/29/14 6:16 pm - VA

Welcome!  Sleep apnea is one of the comorbidities that insurance companies look for. So if you have it and need a CPAP machine, go with it. I was tested and diagnosed just prior to surgery.They want you to have the CPAP machine with you so you can use it in the hospital, or at least mine did. Once I started losing weight I came off the CPAP and haven't used it since about 30 days post-op. Good luck!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

road2healthy
on 7/30/14 4:04 am

Thank you so much for the response that is kind of what I was assuming. I have no problem with at this point in my life doing whatever it takes to get healthy. 

jashley
on 7/30/14 12:28 pm
DS on 12/19/12

Please don't take this the wrong way... but pray that you have it.  It is one major criteria insurance companies use to justify paying for the surgery.

I was diagnosed, but never bought the machine because my insurance paid minimal toward the machine.  Then had surgery, and 3 months later no longer had the sleep apnea.

JazzyOne9254
on 7/31/14 6:35 pm

If you are diagnosed with sleep apnea, and need a CPAP, get it.  Hopefully your insurance will pay for durable medical equipment.

Once you have the DS, you will likely no longer need it. 

I lost mine along with my first 200 pounds!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

PeteA
on 8/1/14 4:43 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I went through that pre-op and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. My surgeon wanted me on CPAP for a month before surgery because there are
some studies that you do better under anasthesia if you have been treating the sleep apnea. Maybe it was just beig better oxygenated going in
to surgery. He framed as decreasing the risk of problems by a little amount.

The CPAP did make me feel better. I gave it up about 9 months post-op and am doing OK.

gary3917
on 8/1/14 7:00 am - Duson, LA
DS on 06/05/13

I had the DS 12 months ago with severe sleep apnea...no moe now !....yayhooooo

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/1/14 8:06 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

As someone already mentioned, the anesthesiologist needs to know if you have sleep apnea to insure that there are no issues while you are under or upon waking.

I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea (124 AHI - meaning I stopped breathing 124 times an hour  ).  I've been using a BiPAP for almost two years.  The difference in the  quality of sleep is astounding.

Since surgery, they've lowered the pressure since I've lost so much weight.  I saw my pulmonary doctor last week and my incidents of apnea have almost disappeared.  They recommend that I continue using the device until I lose even more weight, then they'll conduct another sleep study to see if I need it at all.

As long as your surgeon and his team are aware of any apnea issues, there shouldn't be any significant additional risk for surgery.  There are significant risks to untreated sleep apnea.  I never thought I'd be able to sleep with a mask on my face, but as long as you find the right fit, it's not that bad.  I'm grateful that I'm not tired all the time and sleeping through the weekends anymore.  

Good luck with your surgery.   You'll do great!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

princesskittykathy
on 8/3/14 1:40 pm - Newbury Park, CA

I was diagnosed with both sleep apnea and low oxygen before surgery. I had to have an oxygen concentrator attached to my CPAP machine.  After I lost my weight my doctor had me do another sleep study.  The doctor who did it said I didn't need the machines anymore but I was not to sleep on my back.  How do I know if I sleep on my back?  Anyway, that has been a few years.  Recently I started feeling bad so I did my normal "routine".  I checked my glucose and it was fine so I sat on the couch to check my blood pressure, pulse, and oxygen (with a finger monitor).  My blood pressure was low for me, about 110/65, and my oxygen was only about 93, it is usually about 98.  I got scared as I do have 2 leaky valves and my heart works at about 75% capacity.  I called our insurance nurse who sent me to the ER.  They ran a bunch of tests and sent me home with orders to see my doctor.  I went to my cardiologist.  He told me not to worry unless it goes below 90 but that my sleep apnea may be back.  My regular doctor has put in an order for a new sleep study, so now I just have to wait for their call.

i guess I am trying to say that it is very important to get it checked and use the machine if it is recommended.  I took my old one out and dusted it off.  I use a Fitbit that tracks my sleep and have noticed a change when I am wearing it.  We need to realize that being overweight is not the only reason people get sleep apnea so make sure that once you lose your weight don't stop using it until another sleep study is done.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 641 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 989 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 337 views