Please Help!!! Veggies and Fruits???

Derek H.
on 8/26/14 9:54 am, edited 8/26/14 10:59 am

k..so I've gained around an additional 50 lbs over the past few years (I had my DS in 2008).

And so in trying to loss that weight I have cut out nearly all breads, pasta's and sweet's (Basically ALL flours, grains and sweets).

However I have been eating A LOT of raw veggies and fruits (broccoli, salads, cucumbers, carrots, grapes, oranges etc.) I'm eating about 160 grams of fruit/veggie carbs a day according to my myfitnesspal app.

I'm also getting about 120 grams of protein a day (eggs, meats, cottage cheese, other cheeses etc.)

Now I've lost 10 lbs in the last 2 weeks so it seems like I on the right track.

**My issue:

I was reading today that I should keep my carbs below 50 grams a day. Is this for fruits and vegetables as well??

If so, I'm screwed!! 

Valerie G.
on 8/26/14 10:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Congratulations!   If you're trying to truly lose, cut out the fruits - for they hold a lot of sugar.  It's natural sugar, but still sugar, so don't be fooled.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Derek H.
on 8/26/14 10:56 am, edited 8/26/14 10:56 am

Thanks Valerie!

so I'm okay with eating the veggies though?

i ask cause I turn to them and proteins like cheeses for snacks when I get hungry ( ex.  Couple ounces of hard cheese, 8 slices of cucumbers, 5 baby carrots with a low fat/calorie yogurt ranch dressing that tastes just like the high fat stuff!!!)

i might do this 4 to 5 times a day.

Valerie G.
on 8/27/14 10:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Low fat yogurt ranch dressing????  Have we taught you nothing?

There is no low-fat eating with DS.  They add carbs and chemicals to make it taste good, and you're malabsorbing fat.  Green veggies are the lowest carb value.  Carrots are high, about as much as potatoes.

Valerie
DS 2005

Derek H.
on 8/27/14 11:04 am

Actually my DS doctor wants me to eat lowerfat.

She STRONGLY disagrees with the idea that DSer's are careless with our fat intake.

Valerie G.
on 8/28/14 12:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm 9 years post op, eat bacon nearly every day (5=6 slices), a stick of butter daily, red meat nearly every day, and my cholesterol is 120 according to my last bloodwork.  I don't buy into the fat bombs and bulletproof coffee, but I eat full fat items, not looking for anything artificially made lower.  My doc and nut also tried to push that on me.  It took one bout of constipation early-out and I was done with that, I went to full fat and never got constipated again.  Things artificially made low in fat have increased chemicals, carbs and sugars, the calories absorbed more than anything.  Natural foods are best.

Valerie
DS 2005

MajorMom
on 8/26/14 6:57 pm - VA

Keeping below 50 carbs is a rule of thumb for many after they start regaining and want to lose. Some can do it on 75 or by just keeping it under 100 grams. I agree with Val, skip the fruit while you're trying lose but green veggies that are low starch with a protein of some kind is a really smart way to go. Good luck!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 8/27/14 6:02 am

Fruit is full of sugar.  Look up the veggies you prefer and see if they are low or high carb.  Corn, carrots, and peas are examples of higher carb veg.  Green beans and spinach are pretty low.  To lose most have to go under 50 a day.  It's worse for me, I have to go under 20.

One of the easiest ways to figure this out is to read Atkins Induction and stick to those foods.

PattyL
on 8/28/14 6:50 am

And forget the low fat stuff.  Eat the real thing!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 357 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 815 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views