Popcorn??

Honeyshell
on 10/12/14 1:14 am

hi, good morning! I am almost 3 months out from my ds. Doing pretty good overall. I am going to the movies with my kiddos today and wondering, is popcorn off limits or can I have a little bit??? Any information is greatly appreciated. Have a great Sunday.

K P.
on 10/12/14 1:24 am
DS on 07/08/14

Ok, I love popcorn, always have always will. I just tried it again after surgery and I've had mixed results. I had surgery 07/08/14. If I limit myself to less than a cup I seem ok, but thats hard to do! If I go over that much then its just like eating a piece of white bread or other simple carb (gas amd straight through). So I guess, limit yourself just like anything else to see how you do. I also read online that it is ok for DS people and many do fine with it. Have fun at the movies!!

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

BReyes1961
on 10/12/14 1:41 am
DS on 12/16/13

I have no problem with popcorn, BUT, I'm 10 months out.  I don't go to the movies as often anymore because of popcorn...it's too tempting and I can't say no to it.  I agree about the carbs causing gas, but other than that I'm ok with it.  It depends on your body...you will just have to try and find out how your body reacts.  The beauty of the DS is being able to put the EXTRA, EXTRA butter on it and it not causing weight gain!!!  Oh how I love my DS!

JazzyOne9254
on 10/12/14 1:58 am

I eat popcorn all the time, but I'm 5.5 years out.  I don't remember when I started eating it again, but I would say 6 months to be on the safe side. 

Did they give you a dietary guide for the first year, increasing fibrous foods gradually as you healed?

That's what my hospital did.  Everyone got a small loose leaf binder with a diagram of their surgery on the front cover, and eating plan for the first year  inside.

If not, I would just increase the fiber gradually, and as for the popcorn, I think I'd hold off a bit longer.  For me, extra fiber means more trips to the bathroom, grumbly tummy and achy guts.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

trumanorme
on 10/12/14 3:53 am - KS

I eat it almost daily, with no issues.

K P.
on 10/12/14 4:10 am
DS on 07/08/14

Wow! Im impressed that you got a guide for your first year. Mine was just the "normal" three or four stages. Being three months out I have no restrictions, I just try to avoid greasy food because they seem to go straight through. I also try to do low sugar/sugar free just to aboid the simple carbs. 

JazzyOne9254
on 10/12/14 10:43 am

Actually, the guide is the textbook for the pre-op class, which every patient, no matter which surgery they have, must attend.  The hospital has established support groups all over the state, based on proximity to patients who have had their surgery there, and they often utilize surgical alums who also happen to be medical professionals living close enough to the established hubs to facilitate.

This hospital has been specializing in bariatric surgery since the days of the JIB and BPD, two of the earliest bariatric surgeries, with the BPD being the precursor to the DS.  It is the only bariatric center in the state that offers the DS.  I had known about the hospital since college, but at that time, it was either my education or the surgery.  I chose the college education, and had a decent career until I became disabled.  The surgery is one of the weapons in my arsenal that I'm using to get off disability, and back to life.  I'm solidly into middle-age now, but I figure if people older than I am can do it, so can I.  The guide not only deals with food post-op, but also the exercise and psychological components of having weight loss surgery. 

I tell everyone that other bariatric programs should send their people to learn from my hospital. They were among the first in the nation to specialize in bariatric surgery.

K P.
on 10/12/14 11:02 am, edited 10/12/14 11:02 am
DS on 07/08/14

Very nice. I had to do two different pre-op classes, and 6month nutrition. However, the classes weren't really DS specific and I was the only one getting that done at the time. I am just thankful to all the people *****spond on here, especially to questions like this! 

beargriff
on 10/12/14 9:02 am

You will have to judge how you do with popcorn..  I eat skinnypop popcorn and have for about 6 months  I am a year out.  I smuggle it in to movies : )  and now all my friends are hooked on it too

JazzyOne9254
on 10/12/14 10:48 am

How does it taste?  Is it dry like air-popped popcorn?  My family had an air popper when I was a teenager - Dad brought it home when he came in from work one day. I never liked popcorn that was air popped, because to me, it tasted like I was chewing cardboard.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 328 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 786 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 264 views