Hair loss

Darice N.
on 9/22/15 10:10 am, edited 9/22/15 10:25 am - Washington, AR
Lap Band on 08/08/05 with

Have many of you DSer's experienced much hair loss?  If so, is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Revision to DS: 8/31/2016 with Dr. Alejandro Lopez in Tijuana

SW: 260 (before pre-op diet)/CW:150(5/30/17)GW:140

Valerie G.
on 9/22/15 10:28 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Telogen Effluvium is the most common cause of hair loss and cannot be prevented from any of the wls procedures (or any surgery at all, or child birth, or any trauma to the body).  It starts about 3 mos post op, lasts a couple of months then stops.  No vitamin, protein, or fancy shampoo can prevent or treat this reaction.

Now, further down the road, if hair loss occurs again, it's likely due to malnutrition, so it's important to keep ourselves nutritionally healthy with plenty of protein-rich foods and vitamins.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Darice N.
on 9/22/15 10:54 am - Washington, AR
Lap Band on 08/08/05 with

Thanks, Valerie.

K P.
on 9/23/15 10:28 am
DS on 07/08/14

I noticed that I lost more hair than normal, but it wasn't a huge difference. I have thin hair - but a lot of it as they tell me. After a week or two I want to say it stopped and I haven't had it since - well until I had my gallbladder out and became malnourished. Just stay on top of your labs and nutrition, and expect that it will happen and it is normal initially. :)

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

Jazzybz
on 9/23/15 12:30 pm

Mine fell out in clumps around month 3 post op. Like I wondered if I'd have any hair left. It promptly stopped after a few weeks and has started growing back. I have lots of wispy pieces ! 

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/15 11:19 am

Your hair follicles have about a 90 day life span, then fall out and regrow. After surgery, about 90 days to be specific, they fall out but don't immediately regrow for several reasons including shock to your system, a lack of protein, etc. 

There's no way around it initially but you can help get back to normal sooner by getting your daily protein intake north of 100 grams.

sweetpotato1959
on 10/3/15 12:23 am

Zinc losenges will stop hair loss.. i use one every other week for the first week and taper according to taste.. when they start tasting "off' . stop, and take maybe a half or whole one a week. Zinc stays in your body and bones...but a lack will make the hair turn loose! 20 years post op any time my hair starts turning loose a few days of zinc corrects it... dh

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 436 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 885 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 298 views