Non celiac gluten sensitivy after DS

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/18 8:22 pm
sweetpotato1959
on 6/14/18 5:46 pm

I am having symptoms you describe, post an obselete WLS, .. I was having frequent gastritis...Using Organic Wheat for cream of wheat and any breads has seemed to give me a measure of relief with...many added enzymes.... I suspect it is the pesticide residue... Oats will sometimes set me off as well...( hence my suspicion) Many grains are" finished" by spraying a finisher which is a herbacide to kill all the crop at one time so all is harvestable in one swoop.

Ladybird54
on 6/14/18 6:54 pm

thanks for your reply.

Ladybird54
on 6/19/18 11:10 am

Wow, awesome reply! I did have an endoscopy too which indicated no celiac but since I do have acute crypt hyperplasia on my colonoscopy and I have quite obvious severe reactions to gluten if I ingest it, my concern is exactly what you described and that I could still have other auto immune problems in the future. My father died from an autoimmune disease!! I really have t been able to find any answers as to what, or if any, repercussions I could have if I cheat and have the occasion slice of pizza beside the obvious immediate ones that I can live with as I do not have CD. Thanks ?

Donna L.
on 6/19/18 8:24 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

It's exceptionally underdiagnosed in all populations, not even WLS peeps, too. I learned when I went to the University of Chicago for my Celiac that two of the top symptoms for Celiac we often see in adults are mood dysregulation and joint pain... not even GI issues. Even if you are gluten intolerant and don't have Celiac, you may still have autoimmunity problems. As for the colonoscopy and test that is...weird. The standard way to diagnose Celiac is via 5-6 biopsies done during an EGD, however we still may have profound Celiac issues and autoimmune marks but get a negative biopsy. It might be good to test your gliadin antibodies to see if you are having an autoimmune response.

There's also increasing evidence that thyroid autoimmune disorders and Celiac have a potentially reciprocal relationship, too. I have Hashimoto's and Celiac both.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Ladybird54
on 6/19/18 11:12 am

Also I did have the Gliadin antibody tests and they came back negative for celiac

krishna
on 6/23/18 11:21 am, edited 6/23/18 5:00 am

damn, after 7 years, this is also the first time i've heard anything about DS'ers being commonly intolerant to gluten, however I knew about dairy.

I found out a few months back that I was intolerant to wheat (not gluten(yet)), from a Kinesiologist. I've been having digestion issues which has been causing me dizziness. The dizziness was due to eating wheat, dairy, and fizzy drinks - all in one go, and then having difficulty pooping (even with my daily high fat and water in-take).

I'm on probiotics now, it's made a huge difference. However, I'm working on increasing even more water and eliminating fizzy drinks - cause that's a killer!

Ladybird54
on 6/23/18 11:52 am

Glad I'm not the only one that was in the dark about the gluten issue. I felt a bit ridiculed actually! Happy that you found out what was causing your problem and have been able to fix it! I've had little to no interest in fizzy drinks since I had my surgery 13 years ago so I'm glad about that also!

Thanks for replying

Liz J.
on 6/26/18 10:00 am
DS on 11/29/16

Wow... I'm wondering is this is my problems as well. I've had gastric issues, headaches, and I rush to the restroom daily... I thought it was a medication change plus drinking too much water in a short amount of time.

I can't do any type of pasta and most bread products. I have found that one piece of sourdough is okay, but that's it. I don't seem to have any problems with dairy.

I'm only about 19 months out so maybe things will still change as I get closer to two years.

Thanks for the thought provoking topic.

Liz Johnston

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views