back from vacation with a win

mcarthur01
on 5/1/11 11:00 am - Cumming, GA
i went back to my home town (and college town) in Shippensburg Pennsylvania for an alumni reunion this past weekend for when i played rugby.  typical reunion stuff, golf tournament on friday, undergrad vs. alumni rugby game, and of course a pub crawl after the game.  i haven't played in the alumni game since 1999 and i was a heck of a lot bigger then.  well this year, i was determined to try my luck.  i've been nervous about it because i haven't been able to put in one day of rugby specific training/practice in and was counting on my strength and cardio fitness to pull me through.  i was really worried about the first hit, the undergrads may be young, but they are tough, big, and fit.  well the game came around and i started at my old position (loose-head prop) about a minute into the game i got the ball and braced for my first hit.  there it was, two of the bigger guys on the undergrad team smacked me pretty hard and i was out of position and took a lot of the blow on the top of my head and shoulder.  i thought i had a concussion as i saw stars and my neck felt like it was jammed down my back.  i got up, shook out the cobwebs and had a great time after that.  after that hit, i wasn't nervous anymore and i was able to get around the field way better than i ever had before.  the old guys, of which i was the oldest as i'm turning 40 in a couple of weeks, won the game in overtime.  after the game at the drinkup one of the undergrads came up to me and said "i heard you are almost 40 haven't played for over 10 years and running marathons now.... wow, and man you hit hard for an old guy!".  made my day.  the guys that i used to play with during my undergrad and a few years after were amazed at my transformation.  now i'm extremely hungover and extremely sore, but happy.  no major injuries, just a slight black eye (you really have to look for it to notice) major neck/back tightness, and some bruises and abrasions.  days like that really help validate all the hours we put in at the gym and on the road.  thought i would share.

Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

fatfreemama
on 5/1/11 2:31 pm - San Jose, CA
Sounds like a wonderful time. Glad you showed those young bucks a thing or two!

Congrats. This is what it's all about.
Jan
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

nate2009
on 5/1/11 10:36 pm - Lebanon, OH
Awesome Bill !
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
Hawgman
on 5/1/11 10:41 pm - TX
Way to go Bill!

Striking a blow for the "old" guys!!
niners04
on 5/2/11 12:05 am - Bedford, TX
Love hearing stories like this!!!!
Mikey                
Jillian O.
on 5/2/11 1:13 am - Fort Riley, KS
Way to go! Sounds brutal but glad you had a great time! Glad to see you even got to partake in the afterparty.

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

Scott William
on 5/2/11 2:18 am

There is not much better than hearing something like, "you hit hard for an old guy".  Congrats on the black eye and I hope you are still hitting hard for a really old guy in 10 years or so!

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/2/11 2:22 am - Fort Worth, TX
THAT IS FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

InkdSpEdTchr
on 5/2/11 2:49 am
Hope the hangovers gone and all that's left is the glory! Nice job!!!

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Seht
on 5/2/11 5:15 am
Sounds like a great win!

Congrats

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active