Good Idea or Not?

Watson
on 5/12/11 9:57 am
VSG on 06/08/10 with

Hello. I had my weight loss surgery in June of 2010. I had the VSG. I am still losing the weight. I am down 194 pounds as of April 19th. By that time, I have lost 16.1 pounds in 7 weeks which comes to 2.3 pounds a week. Which is good I guess. And I am wondering if it's a good idea or not to buy a April on swim trunks for myself? I have joined a gym on May 1st of this year. I still have at least another 82.4 pounds to go. And I know at one point I will need to have surgery to remove the hanging skin & fat. That is why I need help if I should get a pair of swim trunks now OR wait until I have that surgery to remove the hanging skin & fat. I jsut don't want to get a pair and find out that they will fall off me in two or three months from now. I would like to go swiming now or should I wait until a later time and play it safe? What should I do?

cabin111
on 5/12/11 1:32 pm
Can't be too worried about how society will view you on these things...Just need to get out there and live life.  We have spent too much of our lives on the sidelines watching!!  Buy a pair of trunks that are tight (but have a draw string) and see what happens.  As you keep losing you'll just tie them tighter.  If they get too baggy buy another pair.  You may want to look into Underarmor for a top.  Just my 2 cents.
Watson
on 5/12/11 11:27 pm
VSG on 06/08/10 with
Hello cabin111. I guess I am worried about the society part. I have been there to long now and have to stand up to it and get my life going. You are right about spending too much of our lives on the sidelines watching. It's time to breack away from that. I'll start to shop around for a pair of swim trunks and find out what happends. Thank you for your help cabin111. I feel better now.
Paul C.
on 5/12/11 10:51 pm - Cumming, GA
I don't have massive amounts of hanging skin but do have some.  I bought a pair of swim trunks that are knee length and skin tight (almost like cycling shorts)  I wear a short sleeve compression top as well when I swim.

I wear this not because I worry what people think but because it makes it easier to swim with the loose skin out of the way.  Like everything else if you continue to drop sizes you will ultimately have to buy new stuff. 

Just do it and enjoy it!
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Watson
on 5/12/11 11:35 pm
VSG on 06/08/10 with
Hello Paul C.. I know I am going to have a lot of hanging skin. I'll shop around for a pair of knee length swim trunks, but not to a point were they will be to tight and split on me. I am also going to shop around for short sleeve or sleeveless short to go with the swim trunks. Dose it really make it easier to swim with that shirt? I know what that is like already about buying new stuff as the weight comes off. Thank you for the help Paul C.. That is what I needed to hear.
Paul C.
on 5/12/11 11:41 pm - Cumming, GA
If it is a compression shirt I think it does make things easier as it holds the extra skin in place.  You will want to buy the compression shirt 1 or 2 sizes smaller than what you wear. 

As for society sometimes I still worry about what people think which is why I typically wear 2 shirts when I workout my compression top and a running shirt.  I have to be really hot before I will take my top shirt off and just run in a compression top because of how I think it looks.  I can't run without the compression top as the jiggle makes it uncomfortable.

Good Luck!
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Watson
on 5/12/11 11:52 pm
VSG on 06/08/10 with
I will look in to it about the shirt and take it from there.

That's how I feel about the society. The more weight I lose the better I'll get about how I feel about the society. Time for me to get away from it. Spent to much time their, most of my life.

Thank you for help & comments that you have given me. I really appreciate it. Thank ytouy again Paul C..
Kim S.
on 5/12/11 11:19 pm - Helena, AL
I say buy a cheap pair at WalMart or Target that fit you now.  When they get too big, buy another cheap pair.....no more "shoulda-coulda-woulda".....live in the now and get out there and enjoy life!

Kim

Watson
on 5/12/11 11:42 pm
VSG on 06/08/10 with
Hello Kim S.. I will shop around for a pair that will fit me right. As my aunt would say "get a size smaller (tight) that you will get use (mileage) out of it". Just get a pair that I can fit in to from a store I can get at. You are right on the part of "shoulda-coulda-woulda". I will go out their and enjoy life as much as I can. Thank you Kim S. for the comments.

Jason "Watson".
Alex74
on 5/13/11 12:55 am - Chandler, AZ
On May 12, 2011 at 4:57 PM Pacific Time, Watson wrote:

Hello. I had my weight loss surgery in June of 2010. I had the VSG. I am still losing the weight. I am down 194 pounds as of April 19th. By that time, I have lost 16.1 pounds in 7 weeks which comes to 2.3 pounds a week. Which is good I guess. And I am wondering if it's a good idea or not to buy a April on swim trunks for myself? I have joined a gym on May 1st of this year. I still have at least another 82.4 pounds to go. And I know at one point I will need to have surgery to remove the hanging skin & fat. That is why I need help if I should get a pair of swim trunks now OR wait until I have that surgery to remove the hanging skin & fat. I jsut don't want to get a pair and find out that they will fall off me in two or three months from now. I would like to go swiming now or should I wait until a later time and play it safe? What should I do?

They will be falling off you after another 80 lbs lost but there is something in enjoying things on the weight loss journey. Life wont suddenly be fun at your goal weight. Buy them, wear them and enjoy them.

Another 80 lbs and then the year waiting to see how well your skin snaps back and how well you maintain you maintenance weight ... screw that, go for a swim now.

Most Active