Couch to 5k with Cross Training?

Valk
on 9/4/11 7:20 am - Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Hello all.  I feel more comfortable asking you guys, because you've all been where I am.  I'm going to be starting week 7 of Couch to 5k.  It's taken me a while to get to week 7, mostly because of inconsistent exercise times.  I've joined a gym with babysitting, so I'll be able to go more frequently and am hoping to bump up to 5-6 days a week.

Here's my question, is it too early to start some cross training on the off days while I'm still doing C25K?  I was thinking of starting the stationary bikes at the gym and/or some weight training.  I'm really enjoying running and exercising in general.  I figure I'll start out easy on the cross training, just like C25K.

Thanks,
Allison
Kaiser Orange County - Surgery with Pacific Bariatric at Scripps Mercy Hospital
HW : 272 (6/10)   /   SW: 243 (3/15/11)   /   CW: 184 (9/1/11)

I just realized, I've lost my 9 year old!  Next goal?  Losing the 4 year old!
Rob S.
on 9/4/11 8:49 am - DE
It's never too early to start cross training. In fact it's better to start early. Vary up things and have fun.

Rob  

rjsams
on 9/4/11 12:57 pm - Eagan, MN
I agree with Rob.  I started cross-training on the "off" days of the C25K right away--actually it was stuff I was doing before I started running, just kept on with it.  Mostly I do elliptical with some weight-lifting, but I need to ramp up my strength training now. 

jkjstars123
on 9/4/11 1:15 pm - Tama, IA
what is cross training?

Julie

HW 304, SW 291, GW 160, CW 140 H-5'9.5"            

rjsams
on 9/5/11 1:53 am - Eagan, MN
Cross-training is doing a type of exercise other than what you are training for.  So if you are a swimmer, going out for a bike ride would be cross-training.  If you are a runner, you might go swimming for cross-training, etc.  It works different muscles and keeps your body from getting into a "rut" with your training.

I think of myself mostly as a "runner,"  so when I cross-train, it might be going for a bike ride, going hiking, swimming or using the elliptical machine.  My knees can only take running 3-4 times per week, so I cross-train on the in-between days.  It's good for the brain as well as the body.

mcarthur01
on 9/4/11 9:03 pm - Cumming, GA
never too early, just ease your way into it and listen to your body (i.e., rest when you need to, and hit it hard when you feel good).  check out spin classes at your gym, spin is one of my favorite cross training activities.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Valk
on 9/6/11 4:07 am - Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Thanks everyone! I was nervous that I might be taxing my body too much if I started more. I'll start on the bike on Thursday and take it easy. The C25K really helped me learn how to pace myself and not push to hard too quick, which always burned me out in the past.
Kaiser Orange County - Surgery with Pacific Bariatric at Scripps Mercy Hospital
HW : 272 (6/10)   /   SW: 243 (3/15/11)   /   CW: 184 (9/1/11)

I just realized, I've lost my 9 year old!  Next goal?  Losing the 4 year old!
Most Active