Do I suck at running??

mnmommaof2
on 4/2/13 12:42 am
VSG on 11/23/12

So I started a couch to 5k program and tomorrow will be doing week 5 workout 1.  I have been running away on the treadmill and feeling pretty good about myself...  This week I discovered I can run for 5 mins straight and not die during the process. 

Then....  yesterday I did the c25k program in the morning and in the evening my 7yr old wanted to try running with me.  So we grabbed our sneakers and went outside for a jog around the block.  A few observations:  When running on a treadmill, I feel light, bouncy and capable of anything.  On concrete, I feel like a 196lb overweight fat lady who never in her right mind should be running.  I felt every extra pound on my body and barely made it around the block.  We're talking maybe two mins of running.  I was dying!  It didn't help that it's pretty cold out still and my lungs felt like they were being stabbed by frigid air.  It was bad.  I felt like I should have been able to kick that blocks butt, but I failed.  So the question is.... shouldn't I be able to do this by now??  Is outside running really that much different than the treadmill??  How do you run without the cold air killing your lungs?-- I tried breathing through my nose and it still burned.

Highest weight 279.8

Surgery weight 268 

Paul C.
on 4/2/13 2:33 am - Cumming, GA

Running Outdoors and on a treadmill are 2 completely different things.  If you have no incline on the TM you are simply running downhill the hole time.  Picking your feet up at the rate of the belt, also most TMs have a forgiving platform under the belt designed to absorb some of the impact of running and the earth has no such thing.

First off are your running shoes ones you went to a running store and got fit for or are they ones you just bought?  

Having the right shoe can be night and day for some people in how they feel.  As for being the fat lady?  Who cares! kiss  you will come across a few asshats (trying to get away from calling people a douche bag)  who will have an elitist attitude about running and what is considered as running and these are some very sad individuals that reflect bad on the sport.

Simple fact is that anyone getting out there and getting it done is someone to respect! 

Keep at it and you will get faster and feel better. Just remember to listen to your body while running  are you out of breath?  then slow down for a bit.  once you hammer the C25K program then you can work in speed drills and other workouts designed to increase your bodies ability to run faster, right now you are training your body to go farther and for all but the rare few of us distance comes at the price of speed.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
rickellz
on 4/2/13 3:06 am - Canada

This something I hear at the gym all the time, "my 5k on the threadmill is way quicker than outside". I think this is because the threadmill allows a little gliding and less friction between runner and surface. Make a new goal for each day you run, today 1 block, tomorrow a block and a half, etc. Throughout this journey remember to be kind to yourself.

mnmommaof2
on 4/2/13 3:24 am
VSG on 11/23/12

Thanks guys, I think I was just shocked to find that there was such a difference between outside and the treadmill.  I was feeling really good about actually sticking with the program and then it was like a giant smack in the face to find I was struggling so much on the concrete.  I posted in the VSG forum and got some good advice.  I think I'm going to take my C25k program outside and repeat the week I just finished.  Also trying a gator for the cold air.  (It's still winter here in MN!).  I was fitted for running shoes and yes, they make a huge difference!  So glad I invested in a pair. 

I do have to remember to be kind to myself.  Too often I seek instant gratification, and then beat myself up when I don't get it.  I know running is a process and I can't expect miracles every time I go out.  I signed up for my first 5k at the end of April and am hoping to still run a little, walk a lot.  But really I'm gearing up for the Dirty Girl Mud Run 5k set in August...   so I've got time on my side.  That one I want to run a lot... walk a little! 

Thank you for your advice and encouragement!

Highest weight 279.8

Surgery weight 268 

nfarris79
on 4/2/13 7:00 am - Germantown, MD

I echo what the guys said - absolutely there's a difference. Also, when you're running against the wind outside, there's more resistance than on the TM (unless you have an industrial fan that you run against indoors!). Varying up what you run on, differing inclines, and different air temps are all good strategies for overall fitness. I ran most of the winter with a balaclava to keep my face protected and it helped warm the air a bit. Baby steps and you'll get there!!!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

billmacc7
on 4/2/13 1:21 pm - MA

Hi-Just wanted to comment on the thread. All of the posts are helpful. I started doing the c25k about a year and a half ago. I did like the first 5 weeks on a treadmill at the Y, then in my first run outside was like are you kidding me?? So much harder. I backtracked on my training and started braving the weather and did my training outside. Our bodies can adjust to it so it does get better. I am now a devoted runner and have done several 5ks, couple of 10ks and even a 1/2 Marathon!

All that said, you should be proud of your accomplishments, I know I am for you!

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

mnmommaof2
on 4/2/13 11:08 pm
VSG on 11/23/12

Thank you. 

Highest weight 279.8

Surgery weight 268 

Kim S.
on 4/2/13 11:49 pm, edited 4/2/13 11:49 pm - Helena, AL

Treadmill and outdoor running are two different animals....and in my humble opinion, the TM is much easier.  As Paul said, make sure you have good running shoes fitted at a running store.  Made a huge difference for me. 

As for being a "runner".  I am a runner!  I am 48 (in a month) with arthritis in both knees. Some days, like yesterday, when I set out to "run", I end up speed walking more than running because the knees have other ideas.  BUT I AM STILL A RUNNER.  Well, more of a trotter, really.  The longest race I've done is a 5k.  I have no dreams of doing a marathon-I know my limitations and accept them.  There are days when I can run 2 miles without stopping and others when I can barely walk and run 2 miles.

Bottom line, you've got my respect just for getting out there and TRYING.  And you know what?  Trying turns into DOING.  And that is the greatest accomplishment of all, you should be very proud.

On running in the cold:  put a scarf over your nose/mouth.  Really helps me, but I still have "runners cough" for several hours after a really cold run.

Joshua B.
on 5/14/13 11:57 pm - Ridley Park, PA
VSG on 12/05/12

I love your post....well said.

JsSkinnyMom
on 4/8/13 10:49 am - Youngsville, LA

I try to always set a little incline on the TM.  I do most of my running at 1%.  If I'm running "hills" I'll up it to 3%.  Try it.  It might be a closer comparable to outdoor running for you.  Don't be down on yourself though.  Maybe you were just having a bad afternoon.  I do long runs of several miles and did my first half marathon recently but I still have bad days when just an easy 3 mile run feels terrible.  Keep at it!

J's Skinny Mom  

HW 238 / SW 235 / CW 120  
Most Active