Los Locos Duathlon....2/15/2miles Woohoo!!!

KatCooper
on 4/14/13 8:52 am - Collierville, TN

My firs duathlon and I survived and didn’t have to walk up any hills.  Woohoo!!!  I fell once and had to get off the bike another time..but I will explain in just a bit.

The day was perfect. Cool, not much sun, and not much of a breeze. I was actually a bit cool until the race started.   I got there about an hour and a half early.  I am not one of these folks who can get to a race minutes before it starts.  I am just not wired that way.  I have to get there, check things out, visit with folks, just hang out and work out the nerves.   I had plenty of time to rack the bike and  get my things laid out.  I did notice that my back tire was not on the bike like it should be.   Apparently when the kiddo asked if he could take my bike off the trainer, he thought you were also supposed to detach the back tire.  I watched him while he did it, and I can’t figure out how I missed him basically taking off my back tire.  Luckily I noticed it and then had Coach Lesley come make sure I had put it back on there right.  Crisis averted.  Thank you Guardian Angel!

After many pit stops prior to the start ( I drank a LOT of coffee this am) we finally started off at about 8:15.  The run was ok and I am being very optimistic about that.   Pace wise it was great 11:57 mile but I just felt like crap.  I just hate the first 2-4 miles.  I finally love running about mile 5.   I actually started out at a 10:30 pace that is WAY to fast for me, but the pack was fast.  23:55 minutes later I was at T1.

T1 took 1:39.  Not bad, as I had everything ready to go.  I think I am going to get some new gloves though.  Mine are just to stinking hard to get on.  There has to be a better pair.  But, I really like the extra grip and cushion.

The bike:  This part was the adventure. It took a total of 1:09: 59.  I am actually pretty excited about this time.  If I hadn’t fallen AND had to stop to add air to my tires it would have even been better.  The course was hilly.  Rolling hills and a few big ones.  I quickly figured out to get in the big ring going down hill and the small ring  when I am struggling to get up the big hill.  There were a few moments when I was fairly sure I was standing still while going up hill.   But I got through it.   On one of the largest hills there had been an accident with a cyclist.  EMS and fire were there.  I got through it ok, but on the turn around a van decided to not only come through the accident scene (the road was open to vehicles) but to come to a complete stop in the only opening for me to go through.  I kept slowly pedaling thinking they would move, but nope, they just hung out.  Before I knew it, I had come to a complete stop and ooops, I just fell over.  I have a fair bit of road rash on my left knee and left elbow, but humiliation is an amazing pain killer and it never bothered me.  And I had the good fortune to fall in front of medic’s who made sure I was fine…really guys, I just want to get back to pedaling!!!   The second unscheduled stop was at the last turn around.  The wonderful Los Locos guys noticed my tires were really low and were worried that I might lose it again on a turn.  So, they walked me through filling  up the tires with my brand new CO2 kit.  So glad I had it!!   The bike really started to feel good about mile 6.  With the exception of the fall, I had a blast!  I am ready to do it again.  I managed to get off the bike ok at the allotted spot and walked the bike back into the transition area.

T2- 1:35   Not to bad.  I racked the bike and got my helmet off and my hat on and pulled off my gloves.  Next came the shoes.  My legs were a little wobbly, but the shoes went on ok.  I am really glad I had my aquapod.  Carrying my own water/G2 helps me mentally and physically.  I just can not seem to be able to drink and run.  Off I went, in a flat out zombie shuffle.  J

Run #2-  Shockingly it felt better than the first.  I had a few sections in the beginning that I walked and got the breathing and heart rate under control during mile 1.  Mile 2  felt much better.  I found my slow happy pace and just kept at it.  I was slower, but I expected that.  13:04 min/mile.  I was thrilled it was under 15 min/mile after the bike. 

Finish- 2:03:18    I ended up 3rd in the Athena division.  One of the perks of being more than 165lbs is I get my own division.  WootWoot!!!!- lets hear it for the thick girls!!!   In the spirit of full disclosure, my team mate, the fabulous Eling, who let me borrow her jersey and is also an Athena, had 2 flat tires.  2 of them!!!  She should have been first, which would have left me in 4th.  Only the top 3 get an award.  I got a cool towel that has the name of the race and “Award Winner” on it.   Yeah, it is so going to the beach with me. 

Overall, it was a wonderful time.  I can’t say enough nice things about the Los Locos crew.  They were so encouraging and supportive.  So were the other athletes.  Its was so super cool to hear “Go Thunder” when someone went past me.  I really am looking forward to getting to know them better.  I see some fun times in my future.  And now….nap time. 

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

billmacc7
on 4/14/13 12:02 pm - MA

Hey Kat. Sounds like you had a great day. Congrats to you, I am hoping to do a duathalon or triathalon in the next year or so. Thanks for sharing your experience, gives more drive to do on myself!

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/13 7:32 pm

KAT! So awesome!! You had a great race, despite a couple little hiccups. You kept moving forward and didn't let anything derail you.

Congratulations on the award. I know you feel disappointed for your friend but that award is all you! Enjoy it :)

Still one of my heros! Love reading all the race reports, keep 'em coming.

nfarris79
on 4/14/13 8:56 pm - Germantown, MD

Sounds like a great time  and the hiccups got to be a learning experience! Go you!!!!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

KatCooper
on 4/14/13 9:40 pm - Collierville, TN

Thanks guy!  I really did have a good time and am really looking forward to another on this weekend in Nashville.  Funny how I now plan "getaways" with the hubs around races.  :-)   And suprisingly I am not very sore.  I have a swim and bike planned today. The bike is a beginners no-drop ladies only ride.  Shouldnt be to bad!     Have a great week!

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/13 7:46 pm - Nantes, Pakistan

hi all have a great and safe week!

Dr Farhat Bokhari  | 

Rhinoplasty  or Nose Surgery

Most Active