Exercise Blues

acbbrown
on 10/6/13 12:58 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Ive been dealing with degenerative disk disease, bulging disks and a herniated disk, as well as spinal stenosis for close a year now. Last October, I ran a 1/2 marathon and now Im lucky to have a couple days where I can walk around my house with no pain. Exercise was a major coping mechanism for me, and total mental health therapy and something I loved...this has been so rough.

Im most likely going to have surgery soon, but my doctor doesnt think running will ever be in the cards with me. I guess Ive accepted that, and Ive made my peace with it, but last December I bought a Tri bike with dreams of getting into the Tri world....its going to be hard to swallow that loss. I dont know if in a year or two I might be able to manage a 5K run to at least do some sprints, but I can hope.

Anyone else have these kinds of issues, have surgery and end up active again?

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

MacMadame
on 10/6/13 1:06 pm - Northern, CA

Have you considered doing AquaBikes?

I still can't run right now due to post-concussion syndrome but can swim and bike so I do. Aquabikes let me race and be with my tri friends. I am grateful for them!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

acbbrown
on 10/6/13 1:24 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I'll look into. Right now I'm in real bad shape so all exercise is out of the question but post op - maybe it will be a great option. I'm hoping kayaking will be ok too. 

~~~~Alison~~~~~

MacMadame
on 10/6/13 1:33 pm - Northern, CA

Yeah, I know how that goes. For a year and a half, I couldn't do anything. It was hard. But I can swim now and sometimes bike. Life has a way of working out.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

sleevegirl
on 10/6/13 11:22 pm - Austin, TX

((HUGS))

You and I talked about this, I'm 2 months out from a double lumbar fusion. It sucks. Period. The recovery SUCKS.

BUT... you also saw me walking around. I wasn't doing that 3 months ago.

You can absolutely run after a fusion. Talk to a spinal surgeon. For me, running is out of the question because I've destroyed my knees - and, yes - my back will likely always be an issue where I need to be careful. But, for the most part, I'm fine.

I had a single neck fusion last year and the only thing I have issues with is looking up. I lost a tiny bit of range of motion. I'm told the range of motion in my back will be, basically, not noticeable - because you don't have a lot of range of motion to start off with with the last two vertebrae.

You're in WAY too much pain and it's gone on for WAY too long. You've given the good fight. You did the injections and PT and exercises. Like me, you are, unfortunately, running out of options. I don't regret it for a minute.

But yes, you might be able to do a Tri after back surgery. It just depends on your healing and how you're doing six months to a year out. Hang in there. Love you!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

acbbrown
on 10/7/13 4:18 am - Granada Hills, CA

Thanks girl. I want to hit fastforward and get my life back!

~~~~Alison~~~~~

rickellz
on 10/7/13 4:33 am - Canada

There are many duathlons with swim/bike, including Ironman and Half Ironman. My swim coach can't run because of back problems so she does this. So the tri world is really not out of reach just a bit of a change.

Most Active