Do you carry a phone with you on long bike rides, jogging??

cabin111
on 6/24/16 4:34 pm

We asked this question a few years ago I think.  I'd like some input for you newer distance people.  I only ride in town for the most part.  Sometimes I'll put the bike in the back of the truck and ride different routes.  I'll be 61 in September.  I'm also on blood thinners.  Anyways, during my short rides (less than 2-3 miles each way) I don't like to carry my phone.  It's my away time.  If I broke down or crashed everybody has a phone now and I could get help if needed.  If I go longer than 3 miles I will carry my phone...For safety reasons.  So where are you on phone carrying??  Does it depend on where the ride or run is located?  Thanks, Brian

billmacc7
on 6/24/16 5:58 pm - MA

Hi Brian...usually if I am doing a run of 5 miles or less I don't carry it but any longer I do carry it....in terms of biking any distance over 10 I carry it...safety 1st

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

NANNY13
on 6/24/16 9:00 pm
WLS on 12/21/15

I have a small prepay phone that I keep a few hundred minutes on. No one has this # except my kids. They know I will have it on if they need me. I also have all my favorite music on it so I love carrying it and it would not be the end of the world if I dropped it.

I am gone 2 or 3 hours a day. I run the track and work out on the empty football field. I love working out  outdoors. The gym is in running distance so if it is weight day I just run up the hill to the gym. Most of the time I am in areas where there are no people so I carry it with me all the time.

cabin111
on 6/24/16 9:12 pm

Prepaid phone here too!!  Great minds think alike.  I can keep my phone bill down to about $8-9. a month...Only about 7 people have my phone number.  Mine is Virgin Mobile...But it's about 30 cents a minute.  No major texting and phone calls last a minute or two...

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/27/16 9:37 am

well sure it is cheap for you...... then you can mooch it off someone who carry their phone when you don't have yours..  or chose not to use yours...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

highlandbear
on 6/25/16 8:27 pm - Canada

I have a pay as you go phone and it is with Virgin Mobility and it is a flip phone so not big and if I am only riding for an hour I don't bother with it but if I am going for long rides I carry it and I usually carry it on my long runs. My husband feels better knowing that I have it on me. I sometimes even carry my bus pass so if need I can hope the bus

swim_bike_smile
on 6/25/16 10:26 pm
RNY on 06/13/16

I always carry a phone with me.  Whether I'm going 3 miles or 30, I will always have it.  I like knowing that if anything happened to me, I would be able to reach emergency personnel.   I also like to keep track of my workouts via my phone.  Sometimes I am the only person on the trail, and if I am stuck or hurt, I'd hate to have to wait until someone was able to come along to help me out.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/26/16 2:06 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I bring my phone, always. If I did crash, I don't want to depend on someone else to call the cops/paramedics. What if the guy is a jerk & leaves you stranded?

I carry the phone in a bag that's attached at the handlebars, but its on vibrate, so I don't have to answer if I don't want to, plus I can look up bike places close by if I get a flat or anything else goes wrong with my bike, if anything the location of a good bathroom. lol 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Laura in Texas
on 6/26/16 5:48 pm

I walk around 7 miles a day and always take my phone. My kids are 11 and 13. If they need me, I want them to be able to reach me. I wear one of those silly pouch belt things with the waterbottles so it's not that big a deal to put my phone in the pouch. I also have my iPod and keys in the pouch.

And I must admit I am obsessed with getting my steps in, so I use my phone to sync my fitbit about halfway through. I worry I might "lose" my steps if I don't 

Why would people NOT bring their phones? Because it's too bulky? Or because you worry it will distract you (you could turn off the ringer)? Or worried someone will steal it? 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

cabin111
on 6/26/16 8:35 pm, edited 6/26/16 1:41 pm

Why do people go backpacking to places that are completely out of cell service areas??  Why do people use the Pacific Crest Trail and the John Muir Trails on the West Coast?  Why do people enjoy the Appalachian Trail on the East Coast?  You would need to have gone backpacking (not camping), to understand the reasons.  You never forget it once you do...It changes you forever.

Most Active