Weight lifting strength gone :(

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 7/15/16 12:08 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Realized I posted this in wrong forum :P

I stopped working out about a week before surgery, and that was on May 27

I have been back in about maybe 6 times now... Doing some cardio and lifting.

Its just such a mental downer when in there and having lost so much of my strength from not having gone in a while.

My bench in the last 12 months was a max 2 rep at 300#, today for my workout I barely got 140# for 6... 

Hoping to get my strength back up. I understand it wont be that number for quite a while partly because of calorie deficit and cannot carb load my muscles, but man... I'd like to get back to somewhere substantial soon lol

Any input on how long it took to get their strength back?

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Steph Meat Hag
on 7/19/16 12:30 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I was cut up just before you were.  I always priding myself on being able to get in there and do work be that at the gym or just doing things around the house.  If it needed lifting, shoveling, paining, or so on I could do it.  I've lost enough weight that some of that is fat and some is muscle.  I'm a lot weaker that I was and that sucks.  My general plan which has been voiced on here over and over is work on eating per your personal plan, do enough exercise to feel good, and wait until closer to maintenance before worrying too my about strength exercise.  It's kinda disheartening in a way but I just don't have it in me to go full on right now.  Could be muscle loss, carbs, less calories, or vitamin adjustments, but right now I'm concentrating on a lot of walking, and minor upper body stretching and low end weights. 

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/20/16 5:40 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Maybe try mixing it up a bit, I've seen people walk around with hand/ankle weights to help with muscle mass, but you'll have to put down the Pokemon go lol 

Since I luv bikeriding & the weather is so good for it right now I ride more often outside so my gym routine that used to include weights got put in the background.

All I can suggest is maybe concentrate on cardio one day & weights the next, with maybe a rest day in between. I'm still working on that balance fitness wise.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Karen D.
on 8/5/16 10:13 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

I started doing Strong Lifts 5x5 2 months ago (I'm 8 months out) because I want to keep my muscle and hopefully have some tone when the fat goes away.  If you don't know it, you have specific lifts you do 3x a week and you add 5lbs each time.  I've progressed quite well in 2 months, being female, I suppose I'm doing pretty good.  Check it out, maybe if you followed it, you can gradually add weight and get back to your 300lb max soon!

Good luck!

Josh H.
on 8/13/16 5:58 pm - Merida, Mexico
RNY on 12/20/05 with

What I did was just focus on losing after surgery. Don't get to caught up in the little weight you can push, focus on hitting your goal. Once there and have maintained for some time, then it's time to make those weights your ***** You will be able to eat the right amount calories, including your carbs, to pack on muscle mass, but that will be way down the road. I just wanted to let you know that you will get there, it will just take some time.

Enjoy the journey!

462/449/200

"I'm not ashamed of where i've been but proud of where i am!"

kathy942
on 8/24/16 9:20 am - Wichita, KS

Be patient with yourself - It takes time to get it back but your muscle will remember what to do.  I always recommend my clients track things so they see the progress they are making.  You are in rebuilding mode and will get stronger and stronger daily  

Kathy Draper

Open RNY 2-6-98
130+ gone! 

Morbidly obese then... Certified personal trainer and nutrition coach now! 

Certified Personal Trainer, NASM-CPT, Pn1 Certified Nutrition Coach

Most Active