Proud Moment

seanbear66rn
on 3/1/12 7:30 am - Dracut, MA
VSG on 04/06/12
    I  work with children. One child was very surprised when I mentioned in conversation to several of the children that I was married to a man. I had been asked about my wife. This child needs to go into foster care. He has several medical needs along with psychiatric issues.
    A foster family was identified. It is a married gay couple. The "Team" that coordinate his care was very concerned about how he would react when he found out it was a gay couple. They thought he would take the news very poorly. When they FINALLY asked the child's response was "Sean is gay and he is cool. He is married to a guy, so it is cool."
   I have to say I was SO HAPPY !! It was HUGE that this kid had a positive attitude about gay men....It is HUGE to me because I have been discouraged by my bosses to disclosed I was married to a Man.       
Sean  

YOU CANNOT GIVE SOMEONE HELP........YOU CAN OFFER HELP,  IT IS UP TO THE OTHER PERSON TO ACCEPT  OR REJECT IT !!!

ohbearly
on 3/1/12 11:17 pm - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13
What a great story Sean! Hope you are doing well. How's the revision surgery progress going? -- Tom

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

seanbear66rn
on 3/2/12 11:58 am - Dracut, MA
VSG on 04/06/12
I am scheduled for 4/6....I am starting to gear up for the liquid diet....Things are good....even though I have gotten huge...
Sean  

YOU CANNOT GIVE SOMEONE HELP........YOU CAN OFFER HELP,  IT IS UP TO THE OTHER PERSON TO ACCEPT  OR REJECT IT !!!

OneFinger
on 3/4/12 1:58 am
Sean, what a wonderful experience and a very proud moment.

I'm not the type of guy to be a visible, loud advocate. But, I like the way you honestly addressed the marriage issue when asked about your wife. I suspect you answered honestly and simply.

The fact that you planted a positive seed in the mind of that kid is fantastic.
High Weight = 310     Surgery Weight = 300   Dr's Goal = 200   My Goal = 190    
Leslie M.
on 3/6/12 9:51 am - AL
That is a wonderful story to share!  I think it is a great that children are being taught that love is a wonderful thing and it doesn't matter who you love.

Leslie
rtptjd
on 3/8/12 11:41 pm, edited 3/8/12 11:41 pm - Atlanta, GA
Great story! I agree w/ Leslie, I'm so glad that children are learning that what is the most important is love...whether it is between two men, two women, or more "traditional." I'm tired of narrow minded people who are so intimidated by same-sex relationships that they have to spew lies and hate. Enough! A child needs love, and it does not matter what form that love takes.

Good luck w/ your weight loss journey!
Barb H.
on 3/10/12 6:18 am - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
Sean, I was so moved by your story that I read it to my wife. I too feel so happy that you were able to be honest with this kid and help him feel good about being with the couple chosen for him. Major kudos to you for having the courage to speak your truth and help a child know that love is love. This is so wonderful!

I noticed that you are having revision surgery. I was wondering from what to what? I was revised from the band to RNY on Jan. 25 and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. My recovery has actually been easier than it was with the band and I've lost more weight in these 6 weeks than I did with the band in the same amount of time. The first almost 5 weeks I was very low energy and stamina, but now I feel really great. I wish you a great and successful surgery. If you have anything you'd like to ask, please feel free.
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 370 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 940 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1318 views