Recent Posts

Dory1961
on 2/19/06 7:57 am - Byesville, OH
Topic: Need size 6x for neighbor in need..
Need clothes for a neighbor Original Post by Loraine May at 10:02 PM EST on 02/14/2006 Byesville, OH - RNY (05/06/2005) - Dean J. Mikami, M.D. I have a neighbor lady who is just my age and is fast approaching around 600 pounds. She recently lost her funding for home health care and housekeeping and can no longer do these things for herself. She has asked me to help her with grocery shopping and laundry. Last night I went to the laundromat for her and I was almost in tears as I folded her clothes and those of her mentally retarded brother she cares for. They were stained and tattered. I felt so badly for her. I noticed that her clothes are a size 6 x and he wears size 56 jeans and 3 x men's top. IF anyone would happen to have access or have decent clothes in any of these sizes I would be so grateful. I want to help this family out in any way I can. I feel so badly for this young lady that she is going to die an early death and wls could save her life. I just don't know how to approach the subject with her, or even if it is my place to do so. I just love and care about her and would love to see her have a better quality of life. She is completely housebound now at 44 years of age. Feel free to send letters or cards of encouragement to her as well. They are also in need of personal care items, gently used towels and washclothes and undergarments. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. We are planning an extreme makeover for their house ( cleaning etc)and a beautician is donating her time to come and give Patty a full beauty treatment and a hair cut for her brother. I cant wait to see the joy on her face... It is going to make all of this worth it. I will keep you all informed how things are going. Any ideas how I can help her and her brother, without being a nosy busybody...I want to share my happiness about my weight loss and the wls but I dont want to force my opinion on anyone. It has to be her choice and her willingness to stick with the new way of life forever. All I can do is offer her this help and the rest is up to her. HELP.. Love and Hugs, Laura
Donie
on 2/13/06 2:20 am - Kansas City, MO
Topic: RE: Grandparents raising grandchildren
I know you posted this a long time ago. I'm so glad I found this forum today & to know I'm not the only one rasing my grandkids. My daughter (20 yrs) has an 19th month old & a 2 mth old. She lives with us, due to BFs not being such good men after all (a whole nother story). She can barely take care of herself so it takes me & my DH to assist. She tries, she really does, but at this young age there are times when she's at a loss as to what to do. And trying to raise these 2 boys by herself is a task almost too much to bear. I am blesssed to have had my surgery, lost 199 lbs & can chase the oldest around. It won't be long b4 I'm chasing two of them & I'm grateful that I can. I never thought I'd be raising kids at this age (49)! The Lord blessed me with awesome grandkids AND I get to see more of them that most grand parents. laugh.. altho folks say "oh you can spoil him & send him home" my response is not yet, b/c he only goes down the hall. But when he actually goes to his own home watch out! grin
LUMAHAILUV
on 2/12/06 1:17 pm - POWAY, CA
My husband and I have been raising 2 of our grandsons for 10 years. Now that they are in high school, our lives are even more hectic. Fortunately, all of our children were grown and living on their own when we were blessed with these 2 boys. We also have 7 other grandsons. I have tried everything to lose weight and nothing works long-term. Have finally realized I am morbidly obese and nothing short of WLS is going to keep me going! Have you had WLS?
LUMAHAILUV
on 2/12/06 1:17 pm - POWAY, CA
I just signed on to this site and am just learning how to work it! My husband and I have been raising 2 of my grandsons for 10 years now. They are now 16 and 17 and life is more hectic than I thought it would be. One of the boys is involved in hs marching band and orchestra, the other is a snowboarder and also into mountain biking and skateboarding. They have been a real blessing in our lives. We also have 7 other grandsons. They are all active and I am really lucky that they want me involved in their lives. Unfortunately, due to my excess weight, there is alot of stuff I can't do with them that I really want to. I am now considering WLS as my last hope to get healthy.
Kathy_Lancaster
on 1/27/06 10:02 am - Frankfort, KY
Hello Cathy, I have a grandaughter that lives with me an her papaw we have had her since she was 10months old she was diagnosed with AML Leukemia she is 14 yrs old now.Its has been a long hard battle,She still in remission thank goodness but with all her chemo and radition she has alot of special needs.I have been overweight for as long as I can remember an Now my health is not great,So I started the journey last Nov-05 an I will get in shape,Cause I plan to stay around and do things with her an go places with our Angel. I think there is alot of grandparents rising grandchildern these day.What would they do without Us. Kathy
JackieK
on 1/9/06 11:52 pm
Pegtrala
on 1/3/06 12:14 am - Beaverton, OR
Hi Cathy. Nice to hear from you. I just finished reading the responses to your original post. Sounds like there are several of you who are raising grandchildren as your own children. Tough job, but thank God you all have decided to do this. I applaud you. How are you feeling since your surgery? It is coming up on one month. Are you getting your energy back from the surgery? I'll be thinking of you, Cathy. God bless. Peg
nannymom
on 1/2/06 11:27 pm - Hope, NM
Ann, the legal hassles are well worth it. Where is the father in all this? Speaking from experience, if you are able to adopt the boy it will give him more security in his mind and he will be able to deal with his cir****tance more easily. Our boys have an older half-brother who lives with the maternal grandparents 60 miles from us. He has more emotional problems than these two boys do. His father has refused to relinquish his parental rights so that the maternal grandparents can adopt him but never has even taken the time to visit with or make any contact with the boy and he'll be 16 soon. Good luck on your custody hearing on the 10th! Cathy
nannymom
on 1/2/06 11:21 pm - Hope, NM
Michelle, do you have legal custody or guardianship of him? You know, if she hasn't bothered with him before, you could charge her with abandonment and get custody. Let me know how it is going and I'll give you some places on the internet to go for advice. Cathy
nannymom
on 1/2/06 11:17 pm - Hope, NM
Thank you, Peg, for your well wishes. Taking the boys at newborn and 2 years old has taken a toll on my health but wouldn't have done a thing differently. Their my son and his wife are still together but even at 37 and 34 they still can't manage to just take care of themselves as they should. It is so sad to know what they missed out on, and I think the only real regret I have is that I won't ever get to be just a grandma...we have to be the parents, the heavy, etc. But I just thank God we were able to do it and give the boys the life they deserve. Cathy
Most Active