Recent Posts

Gina S.
on 8/31/08 11:01 am - CINNAMINSON, NJ
Topic: RE: Is this surgery forbidden in Islam?
Asalamu Alaykum,

I am not a sheikh, but I know Allah wants us to be healthy.
If you had cancer, would you not have it treated by a Doctor? Would you simply say, "well, I have cancer, I'll just lie here in the bed and wait for Allah to heal me?"
No, you go to the Doctor and have cancer treatment, *plus you pray to Allah to help heal your cancer.
Another example: If you're in college, and you have an important examination coming-up, do you simply pray to Allah to help you pass the exam, or, do you study hard, *plus pray to Allah to help you pass the exam?

Obesity is a disease that has many consequences, such as Sugar Diabetes and High Blood Pressure, and early death. If we have tried and tried to lose weight through dieting and have failed, weight loss surgery is merely an additional tool we can use to lose this weight and avoid harming our bodies by being overweight and having high blood pressure and Diabetes because we are overweight. Weight loss surgery is helping yourself. It is taking care of the body Allah gave you. Weight loss surgery is like getting cancer treatment.
I am a Muslimah and had Gastric Bypass surgery 7 months ago, Alhumdulillah. I hope you will too, as I now have normal blood pressure, normal blood sugar levels, decreased joint pain, and all of this without having to take prescription medications, Alhumdulillah. It is not "haram" to seek medical treatment from a Doctor when it is needed to help us be healthy.
Salam
mickeysantiago
on 4/9/07 10:37 pm - bayonne, NJ
Thank you for your reply, I did try to reach Sister Kabeerah and never received a response, maybe she never checks her e-mails. But thanks for taking the time to communicate your thoughts. May Allah bless you and guide you. Salaam.
Stacy73
on 4/5/07 11:13 am - Somewhere, MA
wa alai****alaam, I am not sure which surgery you are talking about. I would assume the Bypass since you stated the alter your body part. It never occured to me to ask that question. I have the lapband and, to me, that doesn't alter the anatomy. Allah knows best, maybe consult some more sheiks and ask for definate proof. Also, does intention play a part, meaning is it medically necessary. Pork is forbidden but if you are starving and that's the only thing available, you can eat it. So, if you are in bad health and this would improve it, would it be ok. Whereas, if only for cosmetic reasons, it would not be. Check out this sister's profile, I have never been in contact with her but she has some great Islamic info http://obesityhelp.com/member/kabeerah/ May Allah show you what is best and if Bypass was what you were looking at, then maybe look into the LapBand as well. If you need anything, feel free to contact me insha'Allah. Ma'salaama Stacy
mickeysantiago
on 3/29/07 10:26 pm - bayonne, NJ
Topic: Is this surgery forbidden in Islam?
My dear sisters, Salaam Allaikuum, I have been wanting this surgery for so long and my husband says it is forbidden, he even spoke to the sheik at our mosque who confirmed because through diet and exercise one can really lose weight. Prophet Muhamad (pbuh) said to be sensible and not alter your body. I need help or input, I don't want to go against Allah if this is true. Does anyone have any information on this subject. I'd appreciate it. I hope someone sees this soon.
Daydream_Believer
on 11/26/06 4:22 pm - Chalmette, LA
Topic: RE: Helllooooo??? Anybody here???
Waalaikumassalam. Sorry for the delay. Unfortunately, I don't check this board very often. I wish I could help you with band-related issues, but I had RNY. I decided that while I'm not particularly into sweets, I am a starch fanatic, and I need the added safeguard of "dumping" when I overdo it on simple carbs. I was not allowed to fast for Ramadan, and yom-el-Eid was a challenge with all the sweets around, but I got through it. Please feel free to let me know if I can be of help.
BANDIS4ME
on 11/20/06 6:44 am
Topic: Helllooooo??? Anybody here???
As salaamualaikum, everyone! I am in the beginning stages of seeking approval to be banded and wondering how many of you are having or have had the Lap Band? Come on lets get this board moving! JuJu
Daydream_Believer
on 11/10/06 7:17 am - Chalmette, LA
Topic: RE: Eid Mubarak
Sorry for the late reply, but Eid Mubarak to you too!
SassySamara
on 10/23/06 12:04 am - San Antonio, TX
Topic: Eid Mubarak
Asalam Alaikum, Happy EID to everyone. Wishing Allah bless you and yours today and always and that you had a fruitful and beneficial fast. ~Samara
SassySamara
on 10/13/06 3:20 am - San Antonio, TX
Topic: RE: Ramadan and Lapband
Asalam Alaykum and Ramadan Mubarak. I know it has been a while since you posted but nonetheless I thought I would reply to your message. I am 3 years post op Gastric Bypass and actually chose to continue to observe Ramadan that year, I had my surgery in August of 2003 and Ramadan was that October. I did ask my doctor his opinion on whether or not I would be able to observe Ramadan. He knew how strongly I felt about it and that I was committed to at least trying it...although I can't honestly say that he encouraged it. I discussed it with my husband and decided I would try it. I gave it my best shot, and Hamdullilah, had a successful fast. I agree and do recommend that for Suhoor you have a protein shake or protein bar for the meal and also take your vitamins/supplements in the morning as well. If you do not already, you may want to add b-12 to your regimen which should also help with energy levels. It is really hard to pace yourself when you have limited intake capabilities. When I broke fast I tried to focus on protein based items as well, like hard boiled eggs, nuts, and chicken. I felt like I was eating and drinking from the moment I broke fast to when I went to bed trying to get in enough nutrition. I also kepy water by my bedside and drank throughout the night too. I did not suffer too much hunger though because in all honesty being that soon into the surgery I still did not gain my appetite back. With lap band it may be different of course. There is a possibility though that if it becomes too difficult to give in other ways in lieu of fasting. if you are medically uncapable of fasting it is not haram to not do so. Now that I am further out it is much better for me. I can eat and drink more than I could at first although I still tend to be overly tired and also lose weight. InchaAllah you will find what the best solution is for you. Ma Salama ~Samira
Daydream_Believer
on 10/5/06 6:32 pm - Chalmette, LA
Topic: RE: Ramadan and Lapband
Ramadan Mubarak! Sorry I'm so late in responding. I had RNY, and unfortunately, my surgeon said no to me fasting this year (I won't even ask about next year). In lieu of fasting, I will donate a "fidyah," which is basically the equivalent of feeding one impoverished person for every day that you miss. Now, how much that costs seems to vary from sheik to sheik, but I think the guideline is that you should donate the cash value of 1.7 kg of wheat per day missed. As far as fasting goes, you might want to consider having a protein drink for suhoor. That way, you'll get your nutrition and your liquid, and you can drink even more water when you're done. Best wishes for a happy, healthy Ramadan!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Ramadan Mubarak
mickeysantiago · 2 replies · 368 views
Helllooooo??? Anybody here???
BANDIS4ME · 1 replies · 326 views
Eid Mubarak
SassySamara · 1 replies · 358 views