Please don't say be patient!

Bamagirl1
on 2/12/09 11:33 pm - AL
I am only 6 weeks out and have  done okay so far, 20 pounds lost but the problem is, I lost all of that weight in the first month.  NOTHING in the last 2 weeks (plus 3 days now).  I got a fill on Monday and I do have a little restriction (although it took 2 days before I could feel it).  I am starting to obsess and weigh every day hoping the scale will move just one pound.  I know in my mind that this is a slow process but when I see others on here who have lost 40+ pounds in 2 months, it is so discouraging.  I am paying out of pocket (credit card debt which make me crazy) and I don't want to start feeling like I made a terrible mistake. 

I am eating about 1000 - 1200 calories a day., drinking tons of water.  Have to admit that I am only walking for exercise and that is sporadic but I feel like I should be losing 1 pound a week at this calorie amount.  Please give input, suggestions.  Week-ends are a weak time for me and I don't want to go into this week-end (Valentines Week-end) without some strength to fight the candy wars!!
Patsi

pepsi98
on 2/12/09 11:39 pm - Norwich, CT
I was banded before you and have only lost 12 lbs!!  I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism so that may be part of it, but I am trying to look at the big picture and realize that the band doesn't begin to fully wor****il we reach good restriction (whatever that is).  I've read on here that any loss before that point is gravy...so I'm struggling along with you and I too have difficulty keeping positive when I don't lose.  I do  ot get on the scale all the time though and the only time I will update my "official" weight is when I go to my doctor's office, which is no sooner than at least 2 weeks.

Chin up and let's both of us not whine!  ( I compare myself to everyone here also...)

Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Bamagirl1
on 2/12/09 11:45 pm - AL
I do weigh every morning but I do not update my weight except at my appointments because I see the up/down up/down business daily. 

I know you are right about the positive attitude.  I AM really trying but I know what I will be facing this week-end.  It is so much easier to face when you have a SV to bolster you. 

I hope you will be able to get some medication to help with your hypothyroidism and will be more successful with your weight loss.  Thanks for the honest imput.  I know you are right!!
Patsi

K D
on 2/12/09 11:45 pm - NC

I am afraid that patience is the only answer we can give you.  The thing is... you have to count that 20 pounds and average it out to 2.5 pounds per week and know that you are where you need to be.  I never ever lost 2.5 pounds per week like clockwork.  I would go a month with no loss then bam 8 to 10 pounds would suddenly dissapear over a couple of days.  You have to be realistic and understand that until you get real restriction from fills the weight loss is up to you and every pound you lose is a victory.  You are doing great with your calories and your water, just take it day to day and know that you will get there. 

Kelly/ Height 5'2 / 326 highest / 304 surgery / 179 current / 163 goal/Revision June 10, 2009 No fill yet.

NCA2008
on 2/13/09 12:03 am - NC
I agree with Kelly. One week I might lose 2-4 lbs..the next two I won't lose anything. This band has taught me a lot of patience. And it's hard work. I would try to up your walking. Make it part of your schedule. Try for 30 mins and then every week add a few minutes. Your calories are good. You are doing mostly protein and veggies, fruit? Hang in there..it will come off. -Nikki

Start/293lbs   Current/189lbs  Goal/160lbs

krinannie
on 2/13/09 12:08 am - Vegas, BABY! And in a smaller Human Suit, NV
You don't have to be patient. You can be impatient. But it won't change a thing. OH....it COULD change and slow you down. Anxiety releases cortisol which slows weight loss. Rather than looking at it as patience, look at it as petulance. We are all a little petulant and, like children, want instant gratification. Train yourself to be adult about this just like you are in other things in life and since you cannot control many aspects of the results, work on doing that which you CAN control. Funnel the energy into positive things...reading, walking, LAUGHING. Don't obsesse......redirect. That will be something YOU CAN CONTROL.

Bamagirl1
on 2/13/09 12:16 am - AL
How can I help but laugh with that silly looking banana man doing the strip tease? 

Thanks everybody for the input.   I KNOW YOU ARE RIGHT but sometimes you just need to hear stuff from other people to validate!!!
Patsi

Butterfly618
on 2/13/09 12:14 am - NJ
I had my surgury on 1/8/09 and I was good for four weeks but I could still eat anything that was not nailed down.  I went for a full on tuesday and I feel "full" but not the Oh my God I can't eat another thing like I was hoping for I guess it is up to us to restrict ourselfs.  I too jump on the scale way too much I like to see the numbers move but I have "only " lost 31lbs and that was after the first 4 week  then I gained 7lbs before my fill so you are doing better then me.  try to lower you calories on some of the sites I have checked out they want you to consume your protein but keep the calories low.  Go for things that are hight in protein and low in calories, and only eat 3 meals a day.  I wish you luck.  Let me know how it goes!

"SUCCESS IS A LIFESTYLE, NOT A DIET"
Please visit my OH  Support group:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/allinthemind/welcome/

Where you will find helpful strategies to achieve you goals

Highest 325.7lbs Surgery 295lbs Current 244lbs 

Titanium Blonde
on 2/13/09 12:15 am
Well, if you don't want anyone to tell you to be patient, then maybe you should have had another surgery.  You are setting yourself up for a lot of disappointment in the next few months.  Why do you want to do that to yourself?  Until you get restriction every pound lost is a bonus. You will lose the weight at the rate that your body will want to lose it at.  When you get good restriction things will speed up a little.  Then again they may not.  In the long run it should work out for you.  Have you ever heard the word plateau?  I had one that lasted almost 8 weeks  I found out that if you follow the rules as best as you can the band works.  My only exercise was and still is walking.  To encourage you, I was a slow looser, in the first 6 weeks I lost 17 lbs.  That was great for me.  To  make a long story short I now wear a size 4-6.  I have maintained that size for over 21/2 years without much effort.  Try to look at the glass half full instead of half empty.  You will be a lot happier and the journey will be more pleasant for you.

Bamagirl1
on 2/13/09 12:18 am - AL
That is an encouragement.  I hope I can do half as well as you.
Patsi

Most Active