First and last visit to the Main Forum

Evelyn M.
on 4/25/11 5:41 am - United Kingdom
GUys,

the main forum did it- they scared the crap out of me!! I am  banded since two months only, and I am at a point that I think oh, ok, let's see when I am going to have my first complications..

..is nobody out there who never had any complications in a long term? No slippage, no erosion, no flipped port??? 
That really brought me down now

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4376706/If-your-band-FAILED-you-please-check-in-here/action,replies/topic_id,4376706/page,1/

and

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4377497/RNY-vs-Lap-Band/
Roll on weight loss!

Tiff tells all
on 4/25/11 5:51 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
There are many of us who have had complications. Both big and small. unfortunately due to a major lack of support, we don't share those on the main page.

If you are around here long enough, you will cross paths with many of us who freely discuss what has been a fantastic journey. And you will also hear what has been problematic in our journey.

Hang in there and don't be scared.

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

harmony9975
on 4/25/11 5:55 am
Thousands and thousands and thousands of lap-band surgeries are done daily---the people who have problems or don't follow the rules and have problems are the ones we hear about.  There are plenty of us that are doing just fine---following the rules--eliminating old behaviors--and releasing the excess pounds.  I have released 57# since surgery in December---zero problems.   Don't worry you will be fine---Harmony
melly37
on 4/25/11 6:36 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
I don't bash the band, but I have to take STRONG exception to your statement: the people who have problems or don't follow the rules and have problems are the ones we hear about. 

I did suffer a slip that required surgery to correct.  I followed the rules, and I lost almost down to my goal weight before this got bad enough for me to seek help.  Turns out my first surgeon was a quack (which I already knew) and didn't do a great job placing my band in the first place. 

My new surgeon did a good job at correcting the band placement, but I had already regained 40 lbs and have had problems trying to get back to where I was.

Attitudes like this cause some people that have band problems to become bitter and not act so nice on this board or the MB.  It's not always because WE DID NOT FOLLOW THE RULES and it is cruel to label it that way. 

You are roughly 5 months out or so?  I got diagnosed with my slip at 2 years out, but I really started having those symptoms several months before that.  Good luck on being perfect with the rules, maybe your band will never malfunction.  If it does, I certainly hope people are kind to you.  I have had plenty of sympathetic and kind people on OH that helped me through the experience. 

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

harmony9975
on 4/25/11 7:52 am

Thanks for your feedback----only people who have walked the walk can really add the perspective you bring to it.  It would be wonderful if all the answers were simple and there were no complications.  Harmony

Jo 1962
on 4/25/11 9:56 am - NearHouston, TX
Melly, with all due respect, I think you missed the "or" in the sentence.

Thousands and thousands and thousands of lap-band surgeries are done daily---the people who have problems OR don't follow the rules and have problems are the ones we hear about.  There are plenty of us that are doing just fine---following the rules--eliminating old behaviors--and releasing the excess pounds.  I have released 57# since surgery in December---zero problems.   Don't worry you will be fine---Harmony

I totally understand that all band problems are NOT the bandster's fault!  And I think ALL experiences should be shared here because we ALL need to be aware of what can happen. WHat *I* got from the OP's statement was out of the thousands and thousands of lapband surgeries done daily, we mostly hear from people who have problems.  AND there are those who have problems because they don't follow the rules.   I didn't read the statement to say that everyone has problems because they don't follow the rules.   AM I making any sense?

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Still with my lapband with no plans for revision. Band working well since

last small unfill.

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:198lbs  Size 14-16

melly37
on 4/25/11 11:05 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
No offense taken, Jolena.  I did miss the OR.    Thanks for pointing it out nicely,

Jo 1962
on 4/25/11 11:13 am - NearHouston, TX
whew. You're very welcome.

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Still with my lapband with no plans for revision. Band working well since

last small unfill.

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:198lbs  Size 14-16

Hermosa L
on 4/26/11 5:04 am
I don't be mean to be mean.. and yes your band failed you when you did everything you were suppose .. your doctor didn't place the band correctly the first time but your weight gain?

I gained 20 pounds I know I did it eating junk and not chicken breast and green beans... We have to be honest with ourselves YES I need my band to control how much I eat but I have to RELY on myself not to eat bad for me foods.. right or wrong?

This is not to be mean to you but my point in general.. is we all have to watch what we eat band or no band.. RNY or sleeve.. there isn't a surgery out there were we can eat cake and pudding and be skinny.. right!! But we have to change our approach to food .. because I know I can eat to just simply eat not because I'm hungry but simply because I want cake or I want chips...

melly37
on 4/26/11 5:18 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
I am sorry, but I AM going to be mean, Hermosa. 

I guess you haven't read any of my blogs or posts in the past.  My SLIP was the fault of my surgeon.  Of my 105 pound loss, a good 20-30 of that was probably because of the slip!!  I couldn't eat anything 75% of the time for at least 3 months!! 

My WEIGHT GAIN, I have ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS taken full responsibility for.  During the past two years I have lost my husband, my house, my two dogs, had a best friend that died suddenly, and I lost another really close friend because of fighting.  Upon all of that other stress, I was faced with a slip and another surgery. 

While I was unfilled waiting for my new surgery, I ate my troubles away........after my surgery and I was realeased to eat regular foods again, I didn't have restirction and ate my troubles away.  I was going through an immense amount of stress.  Like you, with your dad, I medicated myself with bad foods. 

Before the major personal problems in my life, I was losing quite well with the band.....slowly, but I was losing.  I was accountable, even then, acknowledging back then that I would lose faster if only I would stay away from chips.  Of course, if you haven't followed me or read my blogs for the last 4 years, I guess you wouldn't know this about me, yet you still wanted to make a judgement about me. 

You can read through my weekly blog and see how I have beat myself up over this for over a year now.  I don't need YOU preaching to me what I need to understand.  I am ALWAYS very honest with myself.  Until you know what you are talking about, please DO NOT comment on my issues.

Most Active