A vet's view

Kate -True Brit
on 8/14/11 5:56 pm - UK

Once upon a time, years ago, JeanM and I co-authored a thread - called something like I Did It My Way. Jean and I are good friends who totally respect each other's approach but we did this weight loss business so very differently! She may come in to support me in this thread!

I don't like reading threads which state categorically that there is one way to do this! There are certain rules we must follow for our health and for the longevity of our bands. These are the rules given to us by our docs and we break them at our own peril.

But the food rules are not like that. Initially it is sensible to adhere to the Nut rules. We have to learn to live with our band. But once we get to know them, then we need to decide what works for us.

I have never counted, measured, weighed food. Every few weeks, while I was losing weight, I would check to make sure I was getting about 1200 cals and over 60 gms protein a day - I always was!

I never cut any food entirely out of my diet.

If I was hungry, I ate.

I didn't exercise ( not recommending that one - exercise is for health not just weight loss).

In short, I lived what to me was a normal life.

This won't work for everyone. Some people need to measure, journal etc. For me that would have made me obsess about food and that is the mentality I had to change.

Each of us needs to work out our own route. A route we can live with. Listen to others. Experiment carefully. See what works for YOU.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

MARIA F.
on 8/14/11 6:43 pm - Athens, GA

Very true! We all have to find what works for US. I take the more relaxed approach, where as some members are very regimented in weighing food and journaling.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Jean M.
on 8/14/11 9:38 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
Kate,

As time passes and I approach my 4th bandiversary, the more convinced I've become that every person is unique and must find their own path to weight loss success. We have unique personalities, bodies, medical conditions, emotional issues, family situations, etc. etc. as well as different surgeons whose bariatric programs are also unique.

I am nowhere near as rigid and perfectionistic as I was 3-4 years ago, but I will probably always be a rule person. That's me. When I see a bandster floundering because (as it seems to me) their bariatric program is giving them no structure, support, or other guidance, of course I think they could benefit from following my rules. And as you said, certain rules must be followed to protect our bands and our health.

Here on OH, new bandsters often complain about how different surgeons and nutritionists have such different instructions for their patients. Why isn't there one single standard of care for band patients? The variances can be confusing and frustrating, but on the other hand, the variances offer us a wealth of options. As they say in 12-step programs: take what you need, and leave the rest!

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Tiff tells all
on 8/15/11 5:57 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
So very true... each will find their own custom pathway. I am a rule follower.. for about 4 hours and then I break them all. Despite my own self sabotaging, I've managed a healthy loss. I too just tried to focus on getting in the protein. it worked!

Thanks for the reminder that we each must find our own way.

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

coachgrrl
on 8/15/11 6:26 am

I agree...what works for one may not work for all

For me..

I try to eat a good variety of food minus bread, and very little rice/pasta as bandzilla isn't crazy about those.

I know I can only eat about 1 cup of food, so I try to make it count.  I aim for 80 gms of protein

I may enjoy a ****tail or two or a dessert occasionally...but not everyday.

For my 48th birthday (in a month) I've decided to give myself an hour a day to exercise...alone...I have 3 teens so that is a nice gift.  Oh, and maybe some new workout clothes and shoes to go with...and a new enell bra as I seem to have shrunk out of my current one. lol

Hislady
on 8/15/11 8:07 am - Vancouver, WA
Excellent post Kate, we are indeed all different. You are an active person tho (at least compared to me) so you do get exercise more than probably most average folks because you walk alot but even so you prove a person doesn't have to be a gym rat to succeed. I haven't had alot of success but at least I know I do eat healthy food and I try to be active as much as I can. We all have to find our own way in this journey, no one rule applies to all.
bgrandmabear
on 8/15/11 11:40 am
I  agree...what works for one may not work for all i cant do breads or pork chops not even pork tender loin, just trial and earror for me.
dianeg49
on 8/15/11 11:52 am
Kate, Jean,this is so very helpful to those of us who are still trying to find our way. I sometimes get worried that I am "not doing it right". It is reassuring to learn there are many ways to get this wonderfull tool to help us acheive our goal. Thanks!
Dianeg49            
Kate -True Brit
on 8/15/11 5:08 pm - UK
Diane, there is no " right way". All the band does is help you do it your way! That can be quite hard to learn. Sone Nuts are very precise and tell people they simply must eat a particular way. I am not saying ignore medical advice! But nutritional advice is not an exact science and does not allow or individual psychologies.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active