discouraged

jessielynn0521
on 10/29/11 10:59 am - Ronkonkoma, NY
Where did my motivation go????  I am feeling very discouraged and disappointed in myself   Due to other medical issues I find it very hard to work out and when I do workout I am in such pain for the next few days I feel like it is not even worth it.  Today I even cheated and had 1/2 a cookie wtf is wrong with me no exercise and food got me to this point.  How are some of you staying motivated for years and I am almost 2 months post op & having such a hard time.  .   Any advice would be appreciated

Jessica

twoxover
on 10/29/11 11:04 am - waterford, NJ
jessica--

don't be too hard on yourself.  first...instead of working out....why not try walking.  start with even five minutes and increase it.  it's really the safest.  any movement is good movement!

betsey (who prior to surgery averaged 3.5-4 miles/day)
Betsey

jessielynn0521
on 10/29/11 11:08 am - Ronkonkoma, NY
I try to walk as much as possible but it is very difficult I am pending knee surgery bc my knee cap has dislocated and is approximately 2 inches up my leg (constant pain) I also have fibromyalgia and diabetic neuropathy so that does not help either.  Some days I can not even walk from the bed to the sofa without being in excruciating pain  On good days I try to walk as much as I am physically able but it is not much at all and seems to be getting less and less as my knee problems increase.

Jessica

dianeg49
on 10/29/11 1:31 pm
Water arobics is great for fibromyalgia. I take an hour class twice a week. Love it. It has helped me get my weight moving again when I was at a plateu.I walk on the days I dont do water arobics.
Dianeg49            
jessielynn0521
on 10/29/11 2:46 pm - Ronkonkoma, NY
I will have to look into that I cant swim & not a big fan of the water but if it helps I will give it a shot.  I will have to try to find someplace near me that offers it.   Thanks so much for that suggestion

Jessica

BASIMAH02
on 10/29/11 5:59 pm - IL
Jessica, I truly understand where you're coming from. I will give you a brief history about my journey. I had my lap band done on 1/27/11, my first fill in march. I have lost 40 pounds and gained 10 back. I stopped going to my doctor due to embarrassment. I had a hard time exercising because of arthritis in my knees. I started eating all the wrong things and my motivation has left the building. I became so discouraged and angry at myself, I stopped communicating on this site. This response to you is the first time writing on this site in over 3 months. When I read your post, I felt your pain. But you know what? We've come too far to turn back. We have had this surgery and it's time to put it into use. I'm going to start one day at a time. My first tast is to get back on my diet. We can do this. Sometimes I feel like I will be obese for the rest of my life, but I choose not to. I will keep you posted on my progress. Are you with me?

Basimah
jessielynn0521
on 10/30/11 2:38 am - Ronkonkoma, NY
Basimah I am so sorry you are going through the same thing.  You should never feel embarassed to speak to your Dr  trust me they see lots of gains.  If you are uncomfortable with your Dr maybe see a counselor..that is what I have done.   I know it is very discouraging but don't give up. 

Jessica

Kate -True Brit
on 10/29/11 6:12 pm - UK

Half a cookie?? How could you! That's it - end of all loss.

Or alternatively - welcome to being human and to being banded! So what was that half a cookie? 150 cals? And that is only if it was a very large one!

I have never not cheated. In fact I don't think of it as cheating. You ask how we manage for two years. Well I was banded five and a half years ago and I promise you there is no way I could have never touched any fattening food in that time

Oh  and I never exercised. Not ill health, just laziness. Not recommending that - exercise is good for us! Just saying that it is not absolutely essential.

And am I a band success! Very much so!

So stop being hard in yourself! You are doing fine!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

jessielynn0521
on 10/30/11 2:42 am - Ronkonkoma, NY
Kate  thanks so much I guess the cookie disappointed me because pre-surgery I would have never ate a cookie  I do not like sweets  potato chips on the other hand that is my absolute weakness and I will not allow them in my house.  So glad to hear about someone losing without exercise because everyone keeps drilling into my head if I want to lose I have to workout and that is not easy for me at all.  I really wi**** was because I was lazy instead of health issues.

Jessica

JodiBoda
on 10/30/11 3:43 am - Butler, PA
I would definitely recommend trying to find a water exercise class, esp with knee problems.  I had my surgery in August, and my doc allowed me to go into the water as soon as a week later if I so chose.  It was the only exercise I was allowed.  I have fibro as well, but exercise has never been a favorite of mine.  I haven't done much of it since surgery, but I am still steadily losing.  I'm hoping I will get motivated to do more down the road, but it's true that it isn't the end-all for losing weight.  You can do this!  

(Half a cookie is cheating??  Holy cow, I eat half a cookie a few times a week!  If I thought I had to do away with all the goodies I loved, I would never make it past the week!)

Jodi

"Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light."  ~ Helen Keller

Most Active