4 Year Bandiversary

Easternshoregrl
on 2/24/13 10:05 pm - MD
4 years ago today I got my lap band. WHAT a journey it has been. It took me 3 1/2 years to get to where I want to be, but I am still 25lbs from where my Doc thinks I should be. Complications have included GERD, gall bladder failure and removal, hundreds of stuck/vomiting episodes, a hiatal hernia and possibly an ulcer.
I don't attribute all the problems to the band. Alot if it is from being over weight for so long, bad eating habits and just plain getting Old. Thanks to all of you on the boards for being there for my ups and downs. And the journey continues.

First consult 306, pre-op visit 278, surgery date 272, current 198

grannymedic1
on 2/24/13 11:05 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

Congratulations on your bandiversary as well as your hard work. You have been through a lot but continued to work your tool; that says a lot about you and your commitment. You can truly be proud of yourself. A job well done. angry

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

monymony
on 2/25/13 10:19 pm

Hi, Congrats on your Bandiversary!That is so awesome. The journey is not easy but it is worth it. Keep up the good work. Mona

Veteran Bandster 2002

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

dianeg49
on 2/27/13 12:37 pm

Congratulations! It made me feel better seeing that it took you longer to reach your goals. I have been moving slowly but not giving up. Thanks for the motivation!

Dianeg49            
pineview01
on 3/1/13 9:11 am - Davison, MI

Congratulations on your bandiversary!  I was banded the day after you.  I had the GERD and stuck/vomiting episodes and other issues.  I had my band removed 9/4/12 and was sleeved 1/22/13.  I thought about waiting to have it on my bandiversary but, didn't want to wait.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Easternshoregrl
on 3/1/13 9:18 pm - MD
I want to revise to the sleeve, but my ins has a 1 WLS per lifetime rule. I not only have the hiatel hernia, but now it seems that nerve that runs between the stomach and the diaphragm is getting irritated and that is what is causing all my pain. If my choices are to deal with the pain or take out the band. I will deal with the pain and perfect Lamaze breathing, which is the only thing that helps along with cold milk. I refuse to go back to the size I was. Pain or not.

Stephanie M.
on 3/2/13 1:38 am

That's what my GI doc thinks is happening with my band.  That pain you mention is esophageal spasms.  I drin**** water with 10-15 drops essential peppermint oil or have a cup of Tazo Zen tea with the peppermint oil added.  Helps with the spasms throughout my GI tract.  I also have sub-lingual med for it called hyoscyamine which helps.

Ultimately, my band will have to come out....

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Easternshoregrl
on 3/5/13 7:42 pm - MD
The pain that my doc was talking about was from the Phrenic nerve that runs between the diaphragm and the stomach. The hiatel hernia and the band can irritate this nerve by rubbing on it at times.

Iam_with_the_Band
on 3/2/13 4:46 pm

I think what you need to know is PAIN MEANS DAMAGE.  If you have the pain, your nerve is being damaged a little at a time.  There are less expensive options out there.  My friend went to Mexico and had her Band removed and got the Sleeve done for less than $7K.  I really think it is best to get that Band out as soon as possible.  Permanent damage is permanent damage and some of the damage will cause more serious problems later.

I absolutely understand not ever wanting to be obese again!  Believe me!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

pineview01
on 3/4/13 10:54 am - Davison, MI

My insurance had the 1 WLS per lifetime rule too.  I fought it based on medical necessity and with the help of the surgery center, my PCP and documentation I was able to win and get the sleeve.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active