Birth control after sugery

Jennifer P.
on 5/9/06 12:31 am - Erie, PA
My husband and I were discussing birth control after surgery and he had some questions I couldn't answer and my doctor was unsure of....I'm hoping all of you may be able to help. I've been on depo-provera for 6 years and I know that there is very little that decreases the effectiveness. I've also been told that after surgery hormonal BC is less effective. Has anyone else had success, failure with just the shot after surgery? My PCP explained that the shot works differently than oral contraceptives and doesn't feel that it should be an issue since I've been using it so long however my surgeon has a different opinion. When it comes down to it, neither of us likes condoms and would prefer a different method if we had to include something other than the shot. Any advice.
Cruise Director Julie
on 5/9/06 12:41 am - Dallas, TX
RNY on 11/15/05 with
Jennifer; Ahh, the great birth control debate...it goes on all the time on these forums. This is what I know from past debates: 1. The pill may not absorb as well into our systems, therefore is not as effective. 2. The patch absorbs fine but increases the risk of heart attack. 3. Depo absorbs fine but pulls calcium from your bones increasing the risk of osteoporosis. I've been taking the pill for 15 years and will be having a long sit down with my gyn at my appt. in 5 weeks. If she doesn't have a good solution, I'm going to talk to my husband about getting a vasectomy. Blessings, Jennifer 253 / 175 / 137
Jennifer P.
on 5/9/06 12:52 am - Erie, PA
Thank you so much for your quick response. It is similar to what my doctor has told me but my surgeon just keeps pushing the use of another contraceptive. So basically the bone density issue is more risky after surgery? It is a risk to me now. My husband and I don't have any children at this point and may consider it after I am at a healthier weight and have maintained a heathier lifestyle so a vasectomy is out of the question. I'm sure your words of wisdom will help put him at ease. Thanks so much
~Beautiful One~
on 5/9/06 10:47 pm - Suburban, MI
Thers also the new MIRENA, which I am now considering after being told by my friend "Its not your mom's old copper IUD" Its a plastic IUD that stays in for 5years. I'm still thinking about it. http://www.mirena-us.com/index.html ~~Simone
Krista L.
on 5/16/06 2:42 am - Charlotte, NC
I actually have the Merina IUD. IT IS WONDERFUL!!!! I am pre-op, but I have had it in since shortly after I had my son. (BC pills can interfere with breast feeding) I highly recommend an IUD. There are two types, coper and plastic. The coper is 10 years, the plastic is 5. I don't have to worry about birth control again until Dec 08. You may hear horror stories about IUD's because they were different back in the 70's. They are made from different materials now. I have had mine in for a few years now and not a single problem. But things to note, the plastic one usually easies periods (it out right stops it in 20% of women... I am in that 20%). The copper can make periods a little more crampy (something I did not want because I used to have HORRIBLE periods). I would recommend at least asking your OBGYN about it. I know I have no regrets about it. Krista
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone around?!
Just Valena · 2 replies · 375 views
Nuvaring
Cruise Director Julie · 0 replies · 808 views
Unhappy Husband
N I. · 8 replies · 556 views
responding to my mother-in-law
Jennifer P. · 9 replies · 743 views