How Much do you guys eat each day

(deactivated member)
on 3/6/16 9:17 pm

I can see from other forums on this website that many people seem to eat very small amounts of food each day. I was wondering if that is normal or is there a wider range.

I'm now 15 months post op and eat about 2,200 calories a day. I focus on hydration and protein but eat throughout the day. In addition, I try to get exercise about 4 days a week although it nothing major. I'm below my goal weight and monitor everything I eat and all exercise on a daily basis. If I start to gain more than modest amounts in a short time, I will adjust. So far Ive been pretty stable the past 6 months (within 5 lbs mtm)

Todays intake was:

Breakfast:

1/2 can of Hormel Corned Beef Hash, 2 eggs and a small orange juice

snack: 1 cup of raspberry sherbert

Lunch:

Aidells Teriaki Meatballs, 1 cup of milk

snack: 1 small hagen daz vanilla ice cream

Snack: Dunkin Donuts medium ice tea sweetened

Dinner:

French Onion Soup (w/cheese, bread, etc)

Mussells in wine sauce

Baked Bread (1 slice w/butter)

Snack: 1 slice of ricotta cheesecake

Snack: Dunkin Donuts medium ice tea sweetened

Vitamins:

AM - Calcium Citrate, A, D, E, Centrum

PM - Iron, Centrum

Qajohn
on 3/7/16 2:37 pm - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

My diet varies wildly , but generally I am about 2200-2500 cal per day. I am typically about 40% or more calories from protein. I try my best to eat complex carbs and fiber when possible. If I star to gain, I cut both calories and carbs. 

cabin111
on 3/7/16 6:03 pm, edited 3/7/16 10:06 am

I won't go into my diet...But protein is important and "the color of the rainbow" concerning vegetables.  Just a few thoughts on your diet.  Watch the simple carbs; sweetened ice tea, ice cream, sherbet.  It's fine if you are active, but things come up.  What if it gets hotter...Will you add a 3rd or 4th ice tea?  Simple carbs are addicting...Very addicting.  They are what got us to be so large.  After many years (9+) I'm still fighting to control them...It's a road you don't want to go down. 

Another thing that comes up...An injury.  If you get sidelined, will you cut out the junk if necessary?  You are burning it off with exercise, but if you have to dial it back something has to go.

I would try and just go with a teaspoon of sherbet and ice cream.  All sugars get your blood sugar to rise quickly...And just a quickly it drops down...So you look to grab something that will pick you up again...More sugar.  The real solution is to try and wean off of some of the simple sugars and look more to fresh fruits and vegetables (even frozen vegetables).  The fruits (whole, not in drinks), take a long time to digest and keeps your sugar level up there.

Just saying you're headed down a slippery slope...I know because I wish I never started back down that road.  Simple carbs; cakes, breads, cookies, sugar soft drinks, candy, ice cream are empty calories.  We have been around enough to know they will bite you in the end.  Enjoy the ride...Brian

Ohiodietguy
on 3/13/16 8:37 am

Cabin111 Thanks for your post!  It is good to hear from someone who has been working on this for several years! Also you seem to make a lot of sense about nutrition- Thanks!

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

MassHockey
on 3/8/16 3:05 am

I'm only 5 months post op.  I have hard caps on calories and carbs.  Less than 900 calories and 60 carbs each day.  

coachman67
on 3/8/16 10:05 am - sumter, SC

7 years out post op and I still only intake less than 1500 cals/day. Most days it's around 1200. I work full time and MAKE time to workout at least 3days/week. Remember this is a lifestyle change and you MUST put in great efforts to maintain a healthy diet. 90% of the menu you displayed is all wrong for you. If you need assistance with a better plan please ask, otherwise you're setting yourself up to be right back where you started...OVERWEIGHT 

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/16 11:57 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I agree a number of foods I'm consuming now need to be switched out for healthier options. 

I had lost so much weight I was starting to get desparate to halt the loss, but I seemed to have stabilized now. I'm still 30lbs or so under weight, which I think is a result of the procedure I had being more hard core - DS Sadi. I start to make some adjustments to the food choices, and I'm glad to see some others also eat north of 2k calories in a day.

chevtow41
on 3/9/16 8:11 pm
DS on 11/11/14

I also eat a lot of calories but avoid the carbs more if possible. The tea wouldn't be bad if it wasn't sweetened but the sherbet and ice cream might be bad snacks. Maybe nuts or jerky to get protein and fat?

cabin111
on 3/9/16 9:07 pm, edited 3/9/16 1:05 pm

Sorry, you didn't say what surgery you had.  With the DS you have more freedom on what you eat.  If you still want and need to drop that extra 30 pounds I think you know what to do.  As I'm sure you know, with the DS you need to be concerned with malabsorption.  I would suggest you look to the DS Forum for idea on your food intake.  We are here for support...All men are welcome...No matter the surgery.  But with the DS you have to be so careful to get the right food and nutrients in.  Things like the ice cream and sherbet may be OK...I think the ice cream more than the sherbet...For Vitamin D.  Do remember the color of the rainbow for your foods...nutrients.  Again, we are here for support...Most people are getting the sleeve or RNY...Very little are getting the DS or Lapband now.  Nothing wrong with those surgeries...But you need special help that mostly the DS Forum can supply.  Also what I said above still applies to the DS...You go back on the simple carb train...It's a long ride back.  Brian  

Ohiodietguy
on 3/13/16 8:41 am

jmuldune-  Thanks for posting!  I have noticed my calories about a month or 2 after surgery were about 800 calories  per day.  Then my  calories crept up to 1100 per day and yesterday I had 1400 calories. Sometimes I read that RNY forum where they post "RNYers what are you having to eat today"  and I noticed a lot of those folks are eating 800 or less calories per day??  And I have often wondered am I eating way too much food each day.  I am eating 70-90 grams of carbs per day (from protein bars mostly) and 110 grams of protein per day.  Is anyone here just eating 800 calories per day? 

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 30 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 30 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 66 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 89 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In