coffee???

dannern
on 4/7/04 12:07 am - N. O., la
Hey, was wondering how many people are drinking coffee post op? I am feeling kind of guilty today--I drank 1/2 of a large coffee this morning. I am 6 weeks post op and this is the first time I have had any coffee or any caffeine for that matter (sure do miss my diet Pepsi). I have never been a big coffee drinker. Just drink my one cup in the morning. I have been fighting the urge for a cup (I only drink coffee from Burger King--don't laugh--don't like home brewed or the fancy coffee house types) and finally went through the drive through this a.m. Thing is I am feeling kind of guilty and I know I will have to drink even more water to compensate for it. Anyone else with similar experience? Oh---but I do feel inspired to exercise today. Must be the caffeine!!!!
doglover
on 4/7/04 1:46 am - Glendale, Az
Hi Deanne! I drink coffee. Usually two cups a day. Just remember to increase your water a little to compensate for the dehydrating caused by the coffee. NO biggee! Now if it was a Mocha Frappacino Latte, you might have a problem. I have had a skinny venti mocha latte, couldn't drink all of it, too rich, but it sure tasted good. Don't feel guilty! I miss Diet Pepsi also. I have had two sips, burned like crazy, didn't taste all that great anymore anyway. Enjoy your coffee.
jarrn03
on 4/7/04 2:57 am - Lebanon, OR
Ohhh the memory of diet pepsi!! I am only 11 days post-op, haven't had one in over 2 wks. I was thinking of getting a diet pepsi slurpee. I had a huge craving for it yesterday. I remember Dr. A telling me that I could have coffee 3 wks out. I said what about diet pepsi and he said never! I wouldn't feel guilty drinking coffee six wks out. Julie
dannern
on 4/7/04 3:08 am - N. O., la
Wow, a diet Pepsi slurpee.......I didn't know anything like that existed! I guess that would be fine since I doubt that it has any carbonation in it. My daughter always gets an Icee, but I think they all have sugar so I have never even considered looking for a sugar free slurpee. I didn't realize Dr. Aguirre okayed coffee. Feeling much better now--lol.
Dinka Doo
on 4/7/04 4:01 am - Medford, OR
I keep forgetting about those slurpees. They do have carbonation but it's all fizzed out (that's what makes them fluffy and slushy). I have to admit I *did* drink a Diet Vanilla Pepsi last night. It took me about 6-8 hours to drink the majority of a 20 oz container, but I did it. I enjoyed it greatly. I had some Diet Pepsi of my son's last night that he got from Taco Bell. The ice helps cut the carbonation. It went down *really* easy, so I'm thinking if I splurge again, it will be with ice. As for the coffee, Dr A. said 4 weeks out I could have some, but I had some last week. I couldn't wait. I did okay with it, but I could certainly feel the caffeine surging back into my system! And unlike you, Deanne, I am a coffee snob. Has to be fresh coffee, freshly ground and freshly brewed in order for me to enjoy it. Heck I roast my own coffee beans! Dina
dannern
on 4/7/04 3:16 am - N. O., la
I did manage to drink 12 oz of water after the coffee to replace the water. I noticed I was hungry after drinking my coffee today. I haven't really felt hunger pangs in about a month I think. I do have to say that prior to surgery the caffeine in coffee made me hungry. Even though I wanted to just drink coffee instead of eating breakfast, I almost always would get hungry and eat afterwards. I really miss my diet Pepsi. I am getting tired of drinking SF iced tea or Kool Aid. It gets old. Just doesn't feel the same as Pepsi. Oh well, small price to pay I guess.
Dinka Doo
on 4/9/04 5:12 am - Medford, OR
I hear you on the Diet Pepsi, Deanne. I was a bad girl this week and nursed a 20 oz Diet Vanilla. I found that I didn't have any gas buildup when I drank some of my son's Diet Coke with ice, so when I indulge again (hell - I know we're not supposed to, but I just don't see me being that good) I'll do it with lots of ice. Dina
latrishanickle
on 4/8/04 10:23 pm - Pensacola, FL
Hi, I have been drinking coffee since week 4. Today I drink about 4 cups a day. Dr. Aguirre does know and asked if I felt okay and the labs were fine this was not a problem. I cannot drink anything with carbonation in it not even 1 swallow or I feel it hit my pouch very hard. It has been this way since day 1. Dr. Aguirre asked last week if I was drinking soda's and was very happy that I was not, he also asked if I drink any kind of alcohol, I don't and he said it would be okay if I would like to have a couple of glasses of wine or something a day. I'am not a drinker but thought I would pass that along for anyone who does like to drink wine or whatever with dinner.
Dinka Doo
on 4/9/04 5:15 am - Medford, OR
Latrisha - Do you think Dr. A. is more concerned with us drinking sugared sodas or is it the gas production? I can certainly tell that there is a gassy feeling in my pouch when I drank the Diet Vanilla Pepsi, but like I said - in ice the soda went down fine with no problems. I don't like to defy doctor's orders, but I just am such a stinking addict and sometimes it helps me when I feel like munching. I've always used it as a crutch when dieting. As for the coffee, I don't drink 4 cups a day yet, but I likely will end up there eventually. I like cream in my coffee, so I'm trying to not get too wrapped back up in it yet so I don't slow my weight loss. I like my own home roasted coffee without cream, but all others dictate it for me. Dina
dannern
on 4/12/04 4:01 am - N. O., la
Hey Dina, I had a Diet Vanilla Pepsi this weekend and it was pretty good. Its not something I would drink everyday, but as a treat every now and then. I had no trouble with drinking a carbonated drink and some MD's are not against it. I think I will stay away just because I tend to not drink enough water in a day if I am drinking those types of drinks, plus I don't care for the caffeine free ones.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 274 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 458 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1067 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1633 views