My post at beginning bikers forum this morning

N::: A:::N:::O
on 9/22/06 4:23 am - Yakima, WA
Okay you guys, I am almost discouraged. Last night after work I geared up for some PLP. Let the bike warm up enough so I did not need any more choke, and could rev the throttle. Duck-walked to the bottom of the driveway, looked left-right-left, let out the clutch, gave it some gas, moved forward a bit ... I'm starting to lean to turn because I am expecting to be going MUCH faster in the next second, and then the bike coughs and stalls. It was a slow-motion type of journey to the ground. I had SO much time to think. "Not again. Please God don't let anything break! I am getting so tired of this. I wonder if anyone is watching." After landing halfway under the bike and hitting the ground with a whuff, I got my leg out from underneath, and rolled on my back and just looked at the sky for a minute. You know, there are people who go their entire bike-riding life and don't lay it down, not ONCE. Has anyone been counting along with me?? That makes FOUR. Two on my first day (pre-MSF). One in the driveway on the grass, and this time I made it out of the driveway by about three feet. I did not get back on the horse. Very hurt knee, very hurt confidence, very cute little knobby thing broke off the front brake handle. Here is the part where I would normally explore the "what-happened-and-why". It was after work and I was not feeling peppy. I would not go all the way to "tired", but low-energy would be fair. I'd say inexperience was the cause. And ... I'm pretty irritated by that. I can't GET experience if I don't have the experience to get OUT of the FLIPPIN' driveway. I didn't even tell my husband I broke his bike again. Crap multiplied by 1,000.
Cruise Director Julie
on 9/22/06 12:10 pm - Dallas, TX
RNY on 11/15/05 with
Aw sweetie! Sorry to hear you laid her down. Hopefully your hubby's not too upset. That's one advantage to having your own bike. He can't yell at you if you mess up your own stuff. I've laid down three times. The first was in MSF class - not my bike. Only my ego was injured. The second, was with my bike. I was at a complete stop and got a little off balance and just couldn't keep her upright. I laid her down very gingerly that time and didn't do any damage. The third time, she went down, I went down, I rolled down the embankment in to the CVS parking lot. Broke my right tail light completely off. Hurt myself pretty bad. - no blood, but needed lots of Motrin on subsequent days. I haven't laid her down post-op, so that's good. I think with less padding, I'm more likely to get hurt now. I too long for the day of being a more confident rider. Blessings, Jennifer
Matt S.
on 9/24/06 7:01 am - Otsego, MI
Nano - So sorry to hear about your mishap, but I'm glad you didn't get hurt any worse than a couple of bumps! One thing to keep in mind, and they don't normally teach this at the safety classes, is to use your front brake very sparingly at really slow speeds. It is almost instinctive to grab it in a panic. But, if you're leaned or in a turn, using your front brake at walking speed can try pull your bike right to the ground. It has happened to me once or twice, and if you have a heavy road bike, it can overpower your ability to hang on and save it from going down. I try to use my rear brake mostly under 5-10 mph. Don't feel bad, every biker has had their share of "learning" experiences! I don't know if you've ever heard of it, but there are "Ride Like a Pro" DVD's out by a fellow who is a police motorcyle officer. I've learned a lot from mine on low speed maneuvering and I believe there is one made especially for women riders. You can usually find them on eBay or in motorcycle magazines. Ride on! Matt
donnafc
on 9/28/06 1:55 am - Lowell, MA
Hi Nano I don't post here often but felt that some sharing might help. I rode my Suzuki 800 to work the first time- a 1 hour highway ride, I was so excited and absolutely frozen. It was October a few years back. When I pulled into the parking lot I felt like a pea**** until I pulled into the parking spot and laid her down. I hit some sand and it went over. Another time I had my son on the back and went to take a turn out of our driveway and just like it happened to you, down we went, I don't even know how or why- other than if I had given her a little more power it might have made it. Nobody was hurt and I have learned to feel my bike, her and I are a great team now. Keep at it you and it will be come natural- like driving in you car. Now for me, I rode my husband Vstar 1100 to work today. When I came to a stop light after coming off the highway, my leg cramped up. I thought for sure it was going down.... and I know I ain't picking this sucker up. Luckily she stayed up and my leg was fine, cause I would hate to have to tell hubby I dumped his bike..... good luck with your riding donna
rosie09
on 9/29/06 10:34 pm - Mclainsville, NC
Dont believe anyone who says they have never dropped a bike!!! The old saying is that its not why you drop the bike(or God forbid an accident) its WHEN. Been riding over 40yrs and had both occur. There is a group called the COBB society, which stands for Crippled Old Biker *******s, and a female one as well. The only requirement to join is having an accident. They even have a place for wannabee's. Keep on riding and it will get better I promise. Howard and his new Harley Street Glide
(deactivated member)
on 10/7/06 9:33 am - Tampa, FL
Nano, Join the club. I laid down my first time in MSF class, I braked while leaning in a turn, ended up power sliding their bike. The second time I was in my drive way, I had just gotten back from a ride, and before I could put the kickstand down, the bike just leaned over and went down. The third time I was walking my two day old Harley out of the garage and it just fell over before I could do anything about it. So it does happen to everyone, just get back up on that steel horse, and ride baby ride.
Angel J.
on 10/12/06 1:45 am - Troutdale, OR
Hey Nannerz..obviously been long time since I peeked in here... sweetie we all lay the bike down.. I did in San Francisco in front of a bus load of Japanese tourist! Practice practice practice...get the Ride Like a Pro dvd series watch it.. you will learn.. I will also help next riding season ... Learn the friction zone of your clutch... learn the amount of throttle needed... and always let the bike warm up properly... remember when the bike stalls FEET TO THE GROUND asap... please DO NOT give up... you passed the MSF and that is NOT easy! Now just take yourself back to MSF in your mind and review all you learned... you CAN do it! You are Super Nan now! Hugs and much luv to you my friend Angel J
Most Active
Recent Topics
Spring is coming!
JCDan · 0 replies · 320 views
Spring 2010
Moma V. · 3 replies · 461 views
Should I sell my bike????
Jill W. · 3 replies · 552 views