Winter Storage Advice

Kenniestrek
on 10/7/06 3:13 pm - NY
Well in NY it will be cold soon enough and with some hand surgery coming up I need to prep my baby for the long winters nap. I'd like some advice from the more experienced riders if possible? I have read a bit about it and I wonder how much of this stuff I should do like: 1) remove spark plugs , add a teaspoon of oil into the cylinder and turn it over a few times to coat the inside? 2) Is it ok to run out the fuel from the carb with fuel **** turned off? 3) The book sugested that I store it with a full tank of fuel to eliminate moisture build up? 4) Also sugested to add fuel stabalizer in the tank. Is fuel stabalizer the same as the dry gas we buy in the NE for our auto gas tanks in the winter? 5) I am keeping the bike covered in a rental storage unit but I am concerned with the exposure to moisture, and sugestions? 6) Other than fresh oil and cleaning and waxing do I need to do anything else? 7) Remove the battery and keep it in my home on a batterytender to keep it strong? I wish I lived somewhere other than the north east this time of year now that I own a bike,it is soooooo depressing. Thanks for any help! Kenny
Matt S.
on 10/8/06 1:03 pm - Otsego, MI
Hi Kenny - I just hate to think about putting the bikes away for winter. I need to move south where I can keep riding! But Michigan isn't biker friendly for at least 3-4 months, so under cover they have to go . . . In regards to your questions, I'll tell you what I do with mine. 1. I pull the plugs after I've run/ridden the bike with fuel stabilizer, spray in some fogging oil and replace the plugs. You can pick fogging oil at a local auto store. 2. Again, I put in fuel stabiler, run the bikes and then turn off the pet****s like normal. I haven't had a problem, yet. Actually, my cruiser doesn't have a pet**** 3. Yes! 4. Fuel stabilizer is not dry gas. Buy some Stabil or Seafoam. I see Seafoam recommended on the Vulcan newsgroup I read, but I haven't found it locally. I've used Stabil for the last 5 or 6 years in my bikes and yard equipment and haven't had any problems. 5. Cover it with something that breathes. I use a cotton indoor cover for mine and put sheets over the dirtbikes in the trailer for the winter. Even in my garage, I can see condensation on the bike and floor on those days that it may warm up outside after a real cold streak. You don't want a nylon cover or tarp that will keep the moisture in any longer than necessary. 6. I read somewhere that wax is not good for chrome. So I wash the bike, wax the paint. Use chrome polish on the chrome and then before covering it, I soak a rag in WD-40 and wipe down all the chrome. The chrome should feel oily. Actually, it stands for water displacement formula 40 and was supposedly developed for the Air Force. Some fellows I know park their bikes on pieces of carpet or wood under the tires. I put my cruiser up on a bike lift. Follow your owner manual recommendations for air pressure. I believe they recommend dropping the pressure 10-15 percent. I also take old rags, wet them in fresh motor oil and stuff them in the tail pipes. It helps keep moisture and rodents out of the pipe. If you think there is a problem with rodents, it might be good to put some Decon in your storage unit. Mice can create a lot of havoc - for some stupid reason they love to eat wire insulation. Cost me $500 on a vehicle I didn't drive for a couple of weeks and trashed a friends Gold Wing. 7. Yes. Put the battery on a piece of wood/plastic so it is not in contact with the cement floor. Good luck with the hand surgery! Matt
Kenniestrek
on 10/13/06 11:57 pm - NY
Thanks Matt I am following your guideline today ! Kenny
(deactivated member)
on 10/11/06 9:47 am - Tampa, FL
Soory Kenny, I can't help you, we ride year round here. There is at least one weekend a month I can ride. GOD, I LOVE FLORIDA!!!
Kenniestrek
on 10/13/06 11:58 pm - NY
That make me feel jealous, thanks! Kenny
Most Active
Recent Topics
Spring is coming!
JCDan · 0 replies · 320 views
Spring 2010
Moma V. · 3 replies · 461 views
Should I sell my bike????
Jill W. · 3 replies · 552 views