WLS Sturgis Getaway 2004

smaddy
on 7/18/03 4:15 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Hello to all! Sharon Neva posted to my support page and got me thinking. She asked if I had ever been to Stugis (Biker Heaven)and that maybe we could meet there next year. Well I have been before but was actually hoping to go again this year because it is Harley Davidsons 100th Year Anniversary. Well my surgery date will not permit me to attend this year. DO NOT get me wrong my surgery is A NUMBER ONE priority. Well back to my point.... After Sharon asked about maybe meeting there next year I thought why not have a WLS Sturgis Getaway!!! I have notice that there are quite a few bike enthusiasts on this board and I have to imagine others would like to attend. The dates for next year are August 9th thru 15th, 2004 (64th Annual Sturgis Rally). So, If you are interested keep your eye on this board for updates. Hopefully we can get something together. What a goal for me to shoot for...this time next year wearing something sexy riding my Hog in the Black Hills...talk about a rush!!! Best wishes to all no matter where you are on your journey! Smiles, Susan
jenafwife
on 7/18/03 12:18 pm - Blue Ridge, GA
Thanks Susan I will be watching. My husband and I have been talking about making the trek next year. Jen L. Georgia
Sharon Neva
on 7/18/03 1:20 pm - SD
I grew up 18 miles North of Sturgis, so I lived with the Rally year after year until I moved away. My DH and I just got a Honda Goldwing about 2 months ago. We would of loved to make it to the Rally this year, but my husband can't take the time off from work this year. We love the Black Hills and are actually hoping that we will be moved to the Rapid City area by next summer! One of my favorite places in the Hills is Spearfish Canyon and Roughlock Falls (anyone else know that area?) And of course, there's Mt Rushmore, Keystone, Custer, Deadwood, etc..... I will definately be marking Aug 9th - 15th on my calendar. If we are not moved back to SD by then, we will be coming from WA. (state) (Susan- by this time next year you will be able to wear one of those tiny Harley tank tops!) When we got our bike, my DH said that I needed to get a leather bra (ha!) even though, I'm down to a size 8 - I have a very flabby belly and would never have it hanging out completely exposed Sharon
Wilson A.
on 7/18/03 3:01 pm - San Antonio, TX
Hi to all my WLS brothers and sisters, I have not been on a motorcycle since '69-'70. October of last year I started my "pre-op diet". Had surgery in April '03, and since then have lost over 120 lbs. I have also been going to water aerobics, and now can go 90 mins. To reward myself I signed up for a cycle safety course. Had to attend the training with the mandatory gear. 1. boots covering the ankles 2. gloves 3. long sleeve top 4. glasses Went to payless and bought the boots for $22.00..... the gloves I purchase at Home Depot (raw hide)..... purchased my first long sleeve shirt I've owned in years (heavy denim).......... purchased a pair of jeans, also something new, and had them tailored........ The night before the class I dressed in the new apparel. Within 15min. I was sweating (still 100lbs. overweight). It occurred to me only at that time, that wearing this in San Antonio, Tx, with a 90 degree temperature at high noon, was going to be tough. (duh) Oh yeah, they provided us with black helmets. Thought I could beat the heat be keeping hydrated with gator aid. I started drinking first thing in the morning........... brought to class about a half a gallon of gator aid. I could not hold any more gator aid............ Approx. 5hrs. after the class started I had to sit down. Informed the instructor that I was begining to get chilled, and dizzy. I sat and watched the others riding and enduring the heat. I felt humiliated......... I wanted to leave right away, but could not stand up without passing out. I beat myself up on the way home and the entire following day. I did however note to myself that I was finally bright enough to quit before getting really very sick. The following day I gave up my self pity. I loved being back on a bike. I was happy that I got close to this dream. Have stepped up the exercise. Water aerobics can tone you up, but does nothing to prepare you for the Texas sun. Have also been spending more time outside, again something "new". I am totally confident that in a few months, I will master the course. Since WLS life for me now is loaded with hope and possibilities. I did not fail.......................I just got one step closer. Hope to see you riding!! Will keep you posted. P.S. next I have to buy a motorcycle................ dang the details
Sharon Neva
on 7/19/03 4:03 am - SD
Glad to see the new faces on here. Welcome, Jen! Wilson- your tale of your lesson was great, but, I loved the last part..... yeah, "DANG THEM DETAILS"...... LOL ..... You hang in there- you've already done an OUTSTANDING job - it's amazing that you've lost 120 pounds since April.... By this time next year you will be at goal and having no problem riding that bike! Perry - I don't know what stories you've heard about Sturgis, but they're probably all true..... There is something for everyone. There is the 1% ers (which is that out of all the bikers out there on about 1% are the "Hells Angles" type) and all the way to the Christian Bike clubs.... It's almost like going to a big city- there are places that you need to avoid (Like Buffalo Chip Campgrounds - that's pretty much a place that anything goes, and the cops don't go in unless there's trouble) but, there's a lot more places that someone like me would go. Imagine bikes EVERYWHERE! Tony, I think that THE rallies are in Fla and in Sturgis! I hope that you decide to make the Sturgis one. Have you been to Sturgis before? I am relatively new to the "Biker" scene. Although, my DH has been a biker for many, many years. (we've only been married 3 years) So, now I'm trying to learn how to be a "Biker Momma"..... I had my 49th birthday this week and my DH and my sister conspired together to get me a leather jacket. I was on vacation in SD and my sister and I went into the Harley shop so that I could see what size jacket I would take. But, I kept saying that I didn't need one right now. Then my sister snuck back and bought the one that I liked and boxed it up and asked if I could take it back with me for my DH (she said it was some parts that he needed for something) We are actually going to a little local mini-rally this afternoon in Soap Lake, WA. It's been REALLY, REALLY hot here and it's supposed to be even hotter today. It's so good to see everyone here. Sharon
Cherie S.
on 7/19/03 9:37 am - Benson, MN
Hey there =) This sounds like a GREAT idea! I am just planning on heading out there for the weekend this year. Take Care and ride safe. Count me in for 2004! ~Cherie
ART
on 8/24/03 11:29 am - TINLEY PARK, IL
Now were talkin' . a WLS biker bash in the Black Hills. Count me in. Keep me updated. It has been 7 long years since I have been on a scooter & now I am 231 # lighter I cant wait to be in the wind again. And what better way then to celebrate with some people who have been there & done that (WLS) I am ordering a 2004 this fall & cant wait. Now this well be the sugarfree icing on the sugarfree cake! LOL. Post op 05-01-03 Vrooom, Art
Most Active
Recent Topics
Spring is coming!
JCDan · 0 replies · 321 views
Spring 2010
Moma V. · 3 replies · 462 views
Should I sell my bike????
Jill W. · 3 replies · 553 views